Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Boomr Bag   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineendlesswinter77
Nomadic Herdsman
Male

Loc: Nor Wes
Coco Coir
    #5453095 - 03/28/06 09:09 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

I am wondering if this is the same as Coco Coir? I went to a gardening/hydroponics type store today and asked for coco coir and they didnt seem too positvie about what I was taling about but they showed me a brick called "Coconut Fiber Potting Medium" I read in a tek that you dont want coconut fiber, but this looked exactly like a pic of coco coir I saw. I went ahead and hydrated a bit to show you what it looked like also.
One thing that I was concerned with also is that the label says "Resists bacterial mold and fungal growth", it also says pathogen free... so maybe no worrys? Anyhow I just want to be shure that this is the right stuff since it is my first coir casing. Thanks

--------------------
There's some things a man has to prove to himself alone... not to anyone else.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblemusher_420
Stranger

Re: Coco Coir [Re: endlesswinter77]
    #5453101 - 03/28/06 09:12 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

Looks exactly like the coir I have been using after hydrating......

--------------------
My Humidifier Reservoir Expansion Tek

Must read links for beginners

Btw- You are not what you own!

Offlineendlesswinter77
Nomadic Herdsman
Male

Re: Coco Coir [Re: musher_420]
    #5453353 - 03/28/06 10:13 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

yea... welp im gonna go ahead and use it unless someone objects.... will find out if its the right stuff the hard way!

--------------------

OfflineMobius_Strip
Distant Relative
 User Gallery

Loc: Spangladesh
    #5453464 - 03/28/06 10:46 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

When they say it's bacteria and fungal resistant I think it's because they add neem meal to the coir. I bought a twenty pound brick of coir that explicitly states that it contains neem meal as an anti mold, bacterial and fungal agent. The mycelium eats through it like there's no tomorrow. It should be fine unless they're adding antifungal chemicals instead of neem.

--------------------
The smart way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of acceptable opinion, but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - even encourage the more critical and dissident views. That gives people the sense that there's free thinking going on, while all the time the presuppositions of the system are being reinforced by the limits put on the range of the debate
-Noam Chomsky

OfflineAkira
CosmicConsciousness
Male User Gallery

Loc: Hay Un Mundo Mas Alla
Re: Coco Coir [Re: Mobius_Strip]
    #5453493 - 03/28/06 10:55 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

I had just bought some bricks that said Coco fiber as well, dont know why they do that, but its def coco coir.

BTW. Isnt mycelium/mushrooms a fungai? So a fungai resistant substarte should also resist mycelium growth no....? I dont know i saw someone asking the other day about usinf 100% natural fungacide to kill bacteria, but i thought to myself that the mycelium itself is a bacteria! Am i going crazy?

--------------------

Orissa India Bulk Grow (Tub Tek)
Bulk Steamer Pasteurizer Tek

"Our intention is our eternal fingerprint in the universe."

We know that God is good, and so are hamburgers and hot dogs. We know that hamburgers and hot dogs definitely do exist, so then by deduction of logic God too must also exist. Hamburgers + Hot dogs = God.... Duh

OfflineSolidcell
tolerance++;
Male

Loc: Memphis & 53rd
Re: Coco Coir [Re: Akira]
    #5453513 - 03/28/06 11:00 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

It's a crazy world.

--------------------
Psychedelic Jar Project

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong." -Voltaire

"Everything that I accepted as being true up to now I acquired from the senses or through the senses. However, I have occasionally found that they deceive me, and it is prudent never to trust those who have deceived us, even if only once." -Descartes

Offlineendlesswinter77
Nomadic Herdsman
Male

Re: Coco Coir [Re: Akira]
    #5453649 - 03/28/06 11:35 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Akira said:
BTW. Isnt mycelium/mushrooms a fungai? So a fungai resistant substarte should also resist mycelium growth no....? I dont know i saw someone asking the other day about usinf 100% natural fungacide to kill bacteria, but i thought to myself that the mycelium itself is a bacteria! Am i going crazy?

Mycelium/mushrooms are definetly fungus. Bacteria is single celled while fungus is an organism created of multiple cells so they are different. Im guessing that since it was labled a fungicide, it would kill the mycelium though.

--------------------

OfflineBamaman
...has issues.

Loc: Down the rabbit hole...
    #5453735 - 03/29/06 12:01 AM (17 years, 11 months ago)

Not necessarily. Bleach is a fungicide, and it is often used to kill mycelial contams.

--------------------
Diabetes causes hamsters.

Invisiblemycogirl
goddamn
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Coco Coir [Re: Bamaman]
    #5453778 - 03/29/06 12:10 AM (17 years, 11 months ago)

A fungicide will prevent spore germination, but will not harm growing mycelium.

Fungus produces natural antibiotics, fungus is where we humans get antibiotics, like penicillin...

--------------------

OfflineMobius_Strip
Distant Relative
 User Gallery

Loc: Spangladesh
Re: Coco Coir [Re: mycogirl]
    #5457618 - 03/29/06 11:00 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

mycogirl said:
A fungicide will prevent spore germination, but will not harm growing mycelium.

Fungus produces natural antibiotics, fungus is where we humans get antibiotics, like penicillin...

Nicely and simply stated.

The only way to know if it will work is to use it.  If your coir is unusually contam resistent but allows mycelium to propagate then wouldn't that be a good thing? So far my straw/poo/coir-neem combo's haven't infected. I'd like to think the neem meal is helping as it doesn't seem to hinder mycelial growth.  Only time, multiple flushes and well planned comparisons will tell. Happy colonizing! :mushroom2::sun::mushroom2:

Edited by Mobius_Strip (03/29/06 11:16 PM)

OfflineGraveReaper0
Stranger
Re: Coco Coir [Re: Mobius_Strip]
    #5457633 - 03/29/06 11:04 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

Yep its the same.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Boomr Bag   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck