Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineEchoVortex
(hard) member
Vendors--pls don't link to mushroommagic.com
    #544046 - 02/07/02 05:54 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

First off, let me admit that I made the huge mistake of reading High Times before searching thoroughly on the net, where I was suckered in by an ad from mushroommagic.com. I was foolish enough to buy their Soul Food machine and, as you can imagine, have nothing to show for it. Anyway, "buyer beware" as they say, but what bothers me is that both SporeWorks and The Hawk's Eye have links to Mushroom Magic. Ryche Hawk even writes that they are a "great source for mushroom growing chambers." I didn't read the Shroomery forums before buying the thing, but I did look at both of those sites and I figured that with that kind of endorsement it couldn't be all bad, right? WRONG.

Mushroom Magic doesn't have repeat customers, I'm sure, just suckers like me who see the ad in High Times. So this is just a warning (there are already a few here) to anybody who's thinking of buying their kits and a request to vendors NOT to give mushroommagic.com an implicit endorsement by linking to their site.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleRyche HawkV
A Messenger
Male User Gallery

Re: Vendors--pls don't link to mushroommagic.com [Re: EchoVortex]
    #544063 - 02/07/02 06:12 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

So what kind of complaints to you have againts them ?
I do know that a long time ago the straw he was sending out many ppl were producing "inky cap" mushrooms from it.
I wrote to the owner about it and he changed his straw source.

Obviously you have had an unpleasant experience with them, but what happened ?

--------------------
-Peace-

High Quality MUSHROOM SPORES and CULTURES  for microscopy at www.muShrooms.com

muShrooms.com is the new web site of
www.thehawkseye.com

OfflineLeGrouper
enthusiast
Re: Vendors--pls don't link to mushroommagic.com [Re: Ryche Hawk]
    #544242 - 02/07/02 09:28 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

Ryche he clearly explained that he didn't get his product. Obviously that sucks. Especially considering how much those pieces of shit cost. What is really wierd though is why a reputable and established vendor like you would post a link to a bozo site like that. Are ya'll buddies or something? Anyway that site looks corney as hell and reminds me of one of those bogus steroid sites with all of this inflating muscles floating around. Send them a couple hundred and wallah, nothing. And of course you don't go to the authorities because you were trying to order steroids. Kind of like a magic mushroom grow kit eh?

--------------------
The above post is entirely fictional and should not be taken out of context.

Ali-G
www.boyakasha.co.uk

OfflineEchoVortex
(hard) member
    #544260 - 02/07/02 09:50 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

I want to make clear that I don't mean to criticize either you, Ryche, or SporeWorks. I've ordered from both of you and have had nothing but good experiences. Let me thank you both for that.

The problem with Mushroom Magic is the kits. I've only had experience with the Soul Food Machine, but you can do a forum keyword search and you'll find that NOBODY has anything good to say about this vendor (except for his hygrometer). Let me just list the problems with the Soul Food Machine:

The Tek: Oven bag sterilization of substrate--maybe it works, SOME of the time, but would any experienced grower on this forum advocate this method, especially for a newbie? And when you're talking about $40 for each kit refill (that's including shipping) we're talking about a VERY expensive way to experiment with an unreliable method. But wait, it gets better. The manual instructs you to put the substrate into the tank and then inoculate it--with an open tank. Meanwhile tons of contaminants are floating in, and no mention of ways to avoid it, like using a HEPA purifier (not that that would even work). Oven tek is out of the question because the tank is so damn big. Then you wrap the whole thing up in a black plastic bag and pray (for a miracle) that millions more contams don't get in. No matter how careful you are, no matter how much Lysol you spray around, I can't think of a more unsterile way to inoculate a substrate except maybe spitting on it while you're at it. Not to mention that the oven bag process literally takes about five hours.

The manual: Very unclearly written. The order of steps is completely illogical. He tells you to wash and Lysol spray the tank, put in the perlite ("Magic Humidity Mix"--come on!) and then cover, THEN begin the oven bag sterilization. Yeah, give the tank a whole five hours or more to get recontaminated.

The price: $140 for the basic kit, plus another $40 for the air pump to control CO2 during pinning and fruiting, plus shipping for a whopping 200 bucks. Sure I can understand wanting to make a profit, but I figure the components of the kit (including pump) add up to about 70 bucks retail, tops. Profit is one thing, but 150% profit margins are highway robbery. I know there's the labor involved, but still . . . The ripoff is even worse when it comes to the Refill Kits

False advertising: He says the kit includes a digital thermometer--it's not, it's a cheap paste-on color coded job. He gives the substrate and perlite and H202 fancy names like "Magic Humidity Mix," "Magic Sterilant," etc., as if they were proprietary creations of his own, as a way to prevent consumers from buying these things by themselves instead of paying a fortune for his refill kit. He claims on the site that the kit comes with everything you need except a bottle of Lysol. That's not true--the manual calls for many other items (latex gloves, alcohol swabs, special oven trays, etc.). He makes claims about how much you can expect to grow a month (3-5 lbs. wet weight). Can ANYBODY make such specific claims about ANY Tek out there? This hobby is an art as well as a science, and there are tons of factors that make every single growing attempt unique.

Now, if I were paying all of that money for a kit and a Tek that had proven results, I still wouldn't be complaining. I made the choice to pay the money after all. But the fact is that this is a method that, even if you follow every last unclear direction meticulously and do all of your work in a sterile semiconductor lab, might work 1 out of every 10 tries. It hasn't worked for me, and once you use the kit there's no money-back guarantee.

I'll never stop kicking myself for being too lazy just to go out and find some canning jars. Hell, for all the money I plunked into this kit I could have bought a pressure cooker, a HEPA filter, autoclave bags, the works. I realize this guy is trying to make a living, or earn some extra money or whatever, and it's clear he put a lot of work into putting these kits together, but damnit it's just not right to take advantage of the ignorant (as I was) or to sell something that doesn't work. Beginners should stick to PF/MMGG Tek, period. Bluethumbs has a very reasonably priced kit that allows them to do just that. I should have bought that instead. Or just gotten my act together and assembled the stuff myself.

Anyway, I'm not asking you guys to blacklist this guy on your sites or anything. Just don't give him any free advertising! If he can afford a box in High Times, he doesn't need it.

OfflinepsilocyberV
old hand

#544561 - 02/08/02 07:15 AM (22 years, 1 month ago)

Post deleted by administrator.

Invisibleralphster44
collector
 User Gallery

Re: Vendors--pls don't link to mushroommagic.com [Re: psilocyber]
    #544695 - 02/08/02 10:14 AM (22 years, 1 month ago)

Post deleted by administrator.

--------------------
www.RalphstersSpores.com

WE SHIP TO CANADA FROM WITHIN CANADA :smile:

For your safety and security, we have a Secure Website.
Also for your security, we will not take your credit card number.
Your security and safety is of utmost importance to us.

Invisiblebarry_manilow

#544731 - 02/08/02 10:45 AM (22 years, 1 month ago)

I once tried the 10 gallon aquarium kit and got a tank full of green. I then switched to the pf style jars and have had no problems.

--------------------
"I write the songs"

InvisibleRyche HawkV
A Messenger
Male User Gallery

#545149 - 02/08/02 05:39 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

Well LeGrouper, yes he did get his order but he was not happy with it. Which I do keep seeing similiar posts from time to time. I've never heard of anyone NOT getting there order from mushroommagic.com yet. So as far as I can tell he is sending a product, just a very overpriced one and not what is advertised. When I first linked to him about a year ago his prices were much lower.
That is a very detailed complaint EchoVortex.
One thing I hate to see is business taking advantage of the uneducated. Spore Trading Post is famous for that.
As well as sending out a product that is pretty crappy and charging a high price for that. I do see that complaint come up a lot. But, I have never seen anyone say they did not get the product from them.
None the less, sounds like its time to pull the link off my site to them until they put out a better product for the high price they are charging.

--------------------
-Peace-

High Quality MUSHROOM SPORES and CULTURES  for microscopy at www.muShrooms.com

muShrooms.com is the new web site of
www.thehawkseye.com

OfflineEchoVortex
(hard) member
    #545316 - 02/08/02 09:38 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

Sorry if I didn't make it completely clear in the first post what the problem was. Yes, I did get the product, and quite quickly at that. No problems there. When I wrote that I "have nothing to show for it," I meant, "my friend's cat's DVD player has no shrooms to show for it."

I appreciate that both psilocyber and Ryche Hawk took the time to read my post and took it seriously. You guys both run good, honest businesses and provide a great service to this community. Even when there are problems you're upfront about it, no bullshit, and that's great. I think you both realize that it's not just about the money, it's about building a community of people who share a love of these sacred gifts from nature and who share a common enemy (i.e., all of those dumbasses who will stop at nothing to keep other, free, grown adults from seeing things and knowing things that they don't). Communities are built on trust, however, and those who can't be trusted really ought to be identified and avoided.

One GOOD thing that came out of the whole experience is that it forced me to look more intently for information on the web, which is what led me to the Shroomery, which is such a fantastic resource that sometimes I think it was worth the 200 bucks lost. Because of this site I was able to educate myself very quickly.

OfflineJammer
Computers areMORE Addictive!

Loc: (God's Country) - USA
    #545349 - 02/08/02 10:31 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

Yep, he did make a very detailed case, eh? I'm glad to see that your pulling the link, as I always found that site to be a rip based on the prices alone. It's nice to see the "trusted" vendors distancing themselves from this business.

Hell, I'm gonna erase the site from my "favorites" on my browser now... in fact, I just did!! (the one detail that simply floored my ass was the "digital thermonitor"- shit that was very misleading)

Anyway, my hat is off to the vendors that pull the link!!

--------------------
>>Jammer>>

Edited by Jammer (02/09/02 05:35 PM)

Invisiblebarry_manilow

Re: Vendors--pls don't link to mushroommagic.com [Re: Jammer]
    #545628 - 02/09/02 08:26 AM (22 years, 1 month ago)

I totally agree. When my project turned green, I did not know wether or not I did something wrong. After reading other peoples stories I am pretty sure I was ripped.

--------------------
"I write the songs"

Offlineshrogg
journeyman
Re: Vendors--pls don't link to mushroommagic.com [Re: barry_manilow]
    #548404 - 02/11/02 09:29 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

there kits suck mushroom magic is the worst site ever I have used all of there kits they are scammerys there stuff is a waste of money and time even there help line is only helpfull sometimes the guy morgan who works for them offers good help but the other guy could give at rats ass about you or your mushrooms he just give an answer right oir wrong to get ya off the phone they suck.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder