Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinejamman
SCI fan

Radar and Relativity
    #5437709 - 03/24/06 09:40 AM (18 years, 8 days ago)

I searched for an answer but couldn't find one so I'll ask it. The theory of relativity (if I remember correctly) basically says that one person in motion measures there own time differently than a seperate person (at rest) would measure the moving persons speed? Wouldn't that mean that a police radar, rather stationary or moving, would not measure your speed accurately?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineFlusH
Random person on Internet

Loc: Bizzaro World
Re: Radar and Relativity [Re: jamman]
    #5437784 - 03/24/06 10:13 AM (18 years, 8 days ago)

If I remember correctly, radar determines speed by measuring the length of time the radar beam takes from leaving the gun, reflecting off the target, then back to the gun. The beam is sent many times per second, with each time it is sent having a different value ( because the target is either getting closer or farther). Then compare the difference in time with each value and you should have the speed of the target. But somebody please correct me if I am wrong

I don't think that answer's your question, but you are right, speed testing that way is based on the "fact" that time is a constant, but time is a variable.

Good question!

InvisibleMezcal
    #5437836 - 03/24/06 10:34 AM (18 years, 8 days ago)

Any time-dilation at speeds you could reach in a car would not be measurable by any common radar gun; in other words, the degree of accuracy of the device would not be sufficient to even measure the change.

When you get a speeding ticket, its for a whole-number speed. Any change in speed because of the effects of the theory of general relativity would probably be on the order of 1*10^-100 or smaller.

Offlinejamman
SCI fan

#5437841 - 03/24/06 10:37 AM (18 years, 8 days ago)

ahh, I was wondering about that. Makes sense to me

--------------------
Common Misspelled Words

OfflineFlusH
Random person on Internet

Loc: Bizzaro World
Re: Radar and Relativity [Re: FlusH]
    #5437860 - 03/24/06 10:46 AM (18 years, 8 days ago)

It would still be fun to try to get into an argument with an officer,

" I refuse to pay this ticket officer, the theory of realativity states...."

I can see that going over well..  :grin:

--------------------

Invisiblekoppie
astral projectile
Male

Loc: cloud hidden
    #5440477 - 03/25/06 08:49 AM (18 years, 7 days ago)

Speed radar tends to work using the Doppler effect. you point a radio wave to a moving target, and the wave bounces off the target with a slightly different frequency. Comparing incoming and outgoing frequencies you find the speed of the car.

Now the relativistic doppler effect does indeed give different results from the non-relativistic doppler effect, but the differences are so small (since compared the the speed of light, even a fast car basically stands stil) that the difference isn't measurable, so from a practical standpoint it is irrelevant.

OfflineHagbardCeline
Student-Teacher-Student-Teacher
Male User Gallery

Loc: Overjoyed, at the bottom ...
Re: Radar and Relativity [Re: FlusH]
    #5440557 - 03/25/06 10:11 AM (18 years, 7 days ago)

Quote:

FlusH said:
It would still be fun to try to get into an argument with an officer,

" I refuse to pay this ticket officer, the theory of realativity states...."

I can see that going over well..  :grin:

Actually that did go over well with at least one officer.  I was forced to take a Defensive Driving class after I had a wreck soon after getting my liscense.  The officer teaching the class was telling us on a break that many of them will let people go when they hear an excuse for speeding that they'd never heard before.  He told us that another officer he worked with pulled over some kid in college and asked why he was going so fast.  "To retain my youthful appearance." was the guy's answer.  When the cop requested clarification the guy stated "Einstein's theory of relativity states that the closer to the speed of light you attain, the slower time moves" (something to that effect).  The cop laughed and let him go.  He also said the "I have to shit" or "I have to piss" really bad is the most used and most likely to still get you a ticket.

--------------------
I keep it real because I think it is important that a highly esteemed individual such as myself keep it real lest they experience the dreaded spontaneous non-existance of no longer keeping it real. - Hagbard Celine

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom