Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleHSIHd
ProfessionalHamburgler
Male

Loc: IOWA
Do I need to sterilize?
    #5430325 - 03/22/06 02:52 PM (18 years, 10 days ago)

So there are just a few things that I have questions on. I am going to try casing for the first time and am planning on using 100% verm casing layer(just to get the hang of things first). Do I need to sterilize the verm casing layer or should I just mix it w/ the crumbled cakes?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineDem_Bones
Strangler
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Oklahoma
Re: Do I need to sterilize? [Re: HSIHd]
    #5430345 - 03/22/06 02:57 PM (18 years, 10 days ago)

dude 100% verm is really heavy ,and in my experance sucks (yes you can do it but why?) 100% verm colonizes really slow and does not breath a 1/4 as good as peatmoss. localy all i can get is the fine verm so i dont even do 50 /50 i to like 75 /25, but to anser your ? no you should not have to becaese teh prosess by witch it is made is super hot and it should be clean.

--------------------
At the bottom of this page is a search bar to search all the post and threads on the forum so you can see all the other 500 people who asked the same thing.use the top search too it has shroomery approved FAQs USE IT YOU CAN DO IT !

InvisibleHSIHd
ProfessionalHamburgler
Male

Loc: IOWA
Re: Do I need to sterilize? [Re: Dem_Bones]
    #5430386 - 03/22/06 03:06 PM (18 years, 10 days ago)

hmmmm...convincing enough.  Sounds like I have a trip to the local nursery in the near future. Do you suggest peat or coir(or is there a difference?)

Thanks DB. :thumbup:

InvisibleFooMan
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Earth Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #5430441 - 03/22/06 03:16 PM (18 years, 10 days ago)

Peat and verm is definitely better then verm,alone, but verm will work. The problem with verm is that the pH doesn't remain consistent and one bag may have a higher/lower pH then another one. Enough rambling.... here are my pics of verm only casings:

--------------------

Quick WBS Prep

OfflineNunbuh_Chrubble
I'm just a kittycat
Male User Gallery

#5431315 - 03/22/06 06:33 PM (18 years, 10 days ago)

Quote:

HSIHd said:
So there are just a few things that I have questions on. I am going to try casing for the first time and am planning on using 100% verm casing layer(just to get the hang of things first). Do I need to sterilize the verm casing layer or should I just mix it w/ the crumbled cakes?

You don't mix casing with the substrate, you make a layer of casing on TOP of the substrate.

And it's a good idea to sterilize your casing. this can be done in a PC or even a microwave.

--------------------

"This day is a lover..."

~Rumi

Offlineskeletor
the dude
Loc: heaven on earth
Re: Do I need to sterilize? [Re: Nunbuh_Chrubble]
    #5431409 - 03/22/06 06:58 PM (18 years, 10 days ago)

you dont' have to serilize but you might as well give it a nuke in the microwave. unless you are doing a hunge amount at once there is no sense in bothing with the pc i feel.

--------------------
im sorry about your mother. She was a terrible attrative woman.

Get back to nature; hunting burgers and gathering fries.

Offlinestarseed1066
officially hosed

Loc: close enough to get mysel...
Re: Do I need to sterilize? [Re: Nunbuh_Chrubble]
    #5431420 - 03/22/06 07:02 PM (18 years, 10 days ago)

i've never "sterilized" a casing layer. i mix the peat/verm and then add boiling water and let cool, or i use boiling water to hydrate the coir and then add verm to reach the proper moisture content and verm/coir ratio. there's really no need to do anything else to it.

--------------------
Under his instruction, I taped drumsticks to his head and turned him into a sort of mummy, or perhaps a caterpiller in a cocoon. He remains this way for about three hours, making bizarre noises, pretending to be a new species that must learn to walk and talk and eat, etc. And he communicates with other life forms by way of the antennae on his head. Eventually we jam a tube from a waterbong into it's mouth and figure he's learned all he needs to know.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate