Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineroykinn
enthusiast

Rye bags to Cakes...
    #542967 - 02/06/02 08:57 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

I have some 1 quart bags of colonized rye, I'm making them into cakes and have bought small tuperware half pint jars with plastic lids.... I need to transfer the bag into these half pint jars so they will reestablish the mycelium network in the shape of a cake... To do this I've heard I need to crumble up the spawn inside the bag, to I crumble it to the size of a pea or larger chunks, and with the tupperware half pinters, to I need a hole in the lid for air for the few days they'll be in there recolonizing? thanks in advance for the help-

roy

--------------------
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline- It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nunclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." -Frank Zappa

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinejag192
Loc: Ilidantia
Re: Rye bags to Cakes... [Re: roykinn]
    #542978 - 02/06/02 09:05 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

the space wombat, I know, has not tried that but it sounds right. I don't understand why you are doing that though? It would be just as easy if not easier to case those, you could make a smaller casing with each one or a larger casing with multiple bags and get many many more little dudes for the same or less effort. Others may disagree, but space wombat has found this to be true for him. If you need a casing tek just ask. peas

--------------------
"The man of Tao remains unknown
Perfect virtue produces nothing
'No-Self' is 'True-Self'
And the greatest man is Nobody"

Offlineroykinn
enthusiast

Re: Rye bags to Cakes... [Re: jag192]
    #543017 - 02/06/02 09:38 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

well, I've got a hydra-pod and it has worked wonders for me... with it there's no reason for casing, all I do is pop the cakes in there, no hassle-

roy

--------------------
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline- It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nunclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." -Frank Zappa

OfflineSurf Bum
    #543025 - 02/06/02 09:44 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

just leave the whole quart bag intact and plop it right in there just like a funny looking oddshaped cake

--------------------

Offlineroykinn
enthusiast

Re: Rye bags to Cakes... [Re: Surf Bum]
    #543061 - 02/06/02 10:18 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

I would and probably will for some of the cakes... but I have this spawn mate- it's a special protien formula that boosts yields, and I need to add it to the spawn and then to the tupperware... so I cant just throw it in there without the protein and before you ask, I couldnt mix it in before I made my rye bags because I buy them presterilized.... anyways, anymore thoughts on my situation? thanks again

--------------------

Offlinejonnyshaggs420
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mid-West
    #543082 - 02/06/02 10:33 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

You wouldn't need to put any holes in the half pints....They won't be in there long enough to need a lot of air exchange......If you used smaller sized bags(say 1pint instead of a quart) you could just crumble in bag, then stick the whole bag, still sealed into a bowl and let it re-knit that way.....Then just open the bag and plop it into your terr...But with a quart that reduces the surface area/volume ratio greatly.......Your idea sounds fine....

I thought the spawn mate was for bulk spawned substrates....

--------------------
Vote Jonnyshaggs in the next election for GOD...Its the responsible choice

Offlineroykinn
enthusiast

Re: Rye bags to Cakes... [Re: jonnyshaggs420]
    #543100 - 02/06/02 10:45 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

Thanks for the info... I thought I was on target... the spawn mate is used for that but you can also use if for cakes and casings, myco-tek sent me some for free so I could test it out with microwave sterilizing... any thought on that? how long is should be zapped? Anyways, the 1pint idea in the bowl is a good one... but your right about these quart bags, it won't put out to it's full potential, thanks again-

roy

--------------------

Offlinejag192
Loc: Ilidantia
    #543179 - 02/07/02 12:20 AM (22 years, 1 month ago)

as long as you keep it sterile your idea should work fine. let us know what you think of the spawn mate.

--------------------
"The man of Tao remains unknown
Perfect virtue produces nothing
'No-Self' is 'True-Self'
And the greatest man is Nobody"

Offlinecookiewhore
enthusiast
    #543370 - 02/07/02 06:20 AM (22 years, 1 month ago)

Why would you reform your colonized rye into cakes?
why wouldnt you just even it out in a tray, case it, and let it pin/fruit?
Sounds like a hwole lot of trouble to me

Offlineroykinn
enthusiast

Re: Rye bags to Cakes... [Re: cookiewhore]
    #543612 - 02/07/02 10:58 AM (22 years, 1 month ago)

Please refer to the above posts, I own a hydra-pod, no casing layer is needed... I don't need casing supplies I just dump a cake into the pod...

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds