Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblebaycafe
Urawa RedDiamonds
 User Gallery

Loc: 埼玉県&...
South bay finds
    #5406030 - 03/15/06 09:35 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

While driving to the post office during my lunch break I see this center divider just covered with wood chips and massive amounts of mushrooms. I pull over and cross the street into the center divider and walked a couple of blocks. Here were some of the finds.

Description of small orange mushroom:

Habitat: Located in road median divider growing from hard wood chips. Santa Clara County, California. USA.
Gills: Orange-brown, close, attached, uncinate. Spore print white.
Stipe: Orange-brown, 2-3 centimeters in length, striate, thick, hollow, fiberous, occassionally stuffed, veil not noticed.
Cap: Orange-brown, 2-3 centimeters in diameter, umbilicate, striate, Margin upturned with age.
Scent: Like button mushrooms.
Color mushroom bruises: Not noticed.

Description of larger specimen.
Habitat: Located in road median divider growing from hard wood chips. Santa Clara County, California. USA.
Gills: Grey, narrow, attached, emarginate. Spore print grey.
Stipe: Tan-blonde, 6-7 centimeters in length, striate, sturdy, reminiscent veil.
Cap: Tan, 4-5 centimeters in diameter, subumbonate.
Scent: Not noticed.
Color mushroom bruises: No bruising noticed.

--------------------
I think my eyes are getting better. Instead of a big dark blur I see a big light blur.

俺のシロシャイビケッルリプスがここです。

東京スカパラダイスオクストラ

Edited by baycafe (03/17/06 07:26 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineCptnGarden
fuck this site
Re: South bay finds [Re: baycafe]
    #5406146 - 03/15/06 09:55 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

stuntzii?

Invisiblebaycafe
Urawa RedDiamonds
 User Gallery

Re: South bay finds [Re: CptnGarden]
    #5406500 - 03/15/06 10:59 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

They definitely aren't stuntzii. I am not really sure what genus they belong to to be honest. They are however fairly common and I am sure you have seen them in the Bay Area when you were here.

--------------------
I think my eyes are getting better. Instead of a big dark blur I see a big light blur.

俺のシロシャイビケッルリプスがここです。

東京スカパラダイスオクストラ

Invisibleshroomydan
exshroomerite
 User Gallery

Loc: In the woods
    #5407079 - 03/16/06 05:17 AM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Those little ones look like Tubaria, the quintessential LBM. It's hard to say about the larger specimens. They look old. Is that a little bluing on the edges of the caps?

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
    #5407265 - 03/16/06 07:43 AM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Hi nice find but then none of them are active species

mjshroomer

InvisibleshroominDole
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: O.C . S o. C a l .
Re: South bay finds [Re: mjshroomer]
    #5408451 - 03/16/06 01:33 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah hard to pass that and not stop drivin by....would of already had those caps on those orgy freshys already floatin in butter....dont know about the other one....yeah cant believe how mush its bin ranin up there....only rained couple times here since Jan 2 and bin gettin blasted all year by single dig humidity blasts up to 100 mph!....damnable Santa Anas are negative 3 rain storms....lifes a beach in the desert....gonna have our first explosion underfoot this weekend just when soon over....Silvicolas, Blewits, Amanitas, Chantys, Portintosums bein served....Blacks just weeks away....oh yeah got got diverted....though you werent askin your yellow mushs are Agrocybe acericola and orngys are Laccaria laccata var. pallidifolia....

--------------------
Worlds Largest 'Liberty Cap' (Cali Libs Confirmed !)
' Comments On Hallucinogenic Agarics And The Hallucinations Of Those Who Study Them '
Alexander H. Smith
Mycologia vol.69 1977

Invisiblebaycafe
Urawa RedDiamonds
 User Gallery

Re: South bay finds [Re: shroominDole]
    #5408741 - 03/16/06 02:44 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Thanks for the help with the ID. These were mushies that I dodn't want to bring home as the kids might try to get into them and ingest them. I see both of these so frenquently that it is good to know what they are now. As for the bruising or the Agrocybe is was greenish/grey. Most likely just a byproduct of the age of the mushrooms?

There were two other species that I didn't manage to get pictures of. The first had the appearance of the Agrocybe but a high umbo on them and were smaller in size. The second I believed were the cyanascens complex that auweia is so fond of posting but they were pretty well rotted and when I went back I couldn't find the patch again.

This is definitely an area that I will keep in mind for fall/early winter next year.

--------------------

俺のシロシャイビケッルリプスがここです。

東京スカパラダイスオクストラ

Invisibleshroomydan
exshroomerite
 User Gallery

#5409474 - 03/16/06 05:34 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

I believe you have misidentified these mushrooms, and I believe your cavalier attitude is dangerous to this community.

Check your PMs.

Offlineeris
underground
Male User Gallery

Loc: North East, USA
Trusted Identifier
    #5409534 - 03/16/06 05:49 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

though you werent askin your yellow mushs are Agrocybe acericola and orngys are Laccaria laccata var. pallidifolia....

That is a bold assumption there I'd say. Exact species just by looking at a picture with no description or spore print? So many things can look the same in a picture.
The smaller orange ones don't even look like Laccaria to me.. he didn't even post a spore print color. I see too many possibilities for it to even feel comfortable guessing.

--------------------
Immortal / Temporarily Retired
The OG Thread Killer
My mushroom hunting gallery

InvisibleshroominDole
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: O.C . S o. C a l .
Re: South bay finds [Re: shroomydan]
    #5409629 - 03/16/06 06:09 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

yes actually just came back to for that very reason which is why i went directly to this post....was actually going to make another entry with complete warning with example of finding deadly mushrooms and what are considered best of edibles actually touching each other on many occasions which are in the same genus which can look totally identical ie Amanitas....was also going to warn to not go out immediately pick another mushroom nearby because looks the same....and wanted to end the only reason I am giving these IDs is as a starting point to compare to literature and work their out from there....and actually going to end with as I have before as far as I know these might just kill you as any thing you eat you must first KNOW yourself....you know I warn on almost all my IDs....many of which have been at the end of long strings(threads) of improper IDS one after another many of which Ive referenced back to your warnings and others warnings in the threads repeatedly....but I appreciate your reply as it cant be reiterrated enough....and I also welcome any feedback you can offer as part of the disscussion that you might notice on the technical side of the IDs as this how we can all learn is through disscussion and and dissagreements because we never learn if we all just agreed on everything....and I understand the logic of saying could have been wrong....please more feedback on my entries as many have....uh oh just noticed at the bottom of reply screen to check my ims so first Ill fire this off

--------------------
Worlds Largest 'Liberty Cap' (Cali Libs Confirmed !)
' Comments On Hallucinogenic Agarics And The Hallucinations Of Those Who Study Them '
Alexander H. Smith
Mycologia vol.69 1977

Edited by shroominDole (03/16/06 06:39 PM)

Invisiblebaycafe
Urawa RedDiamonds
 User Gallery

#5409816 - 03/16/06 07:02 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

I wasn't going to fry any of them up in butter or anything else of that nature. I hadn't even picked any for a preliminary observation. I will tomorrow go back and collect a few of the better specimens of both and do the due diligence required to request an ID.

--------------------

俺のシロシャイビケッルリプスがここです。

東京スカパラダイスオクストラ

Invisiblebaycafe
Urawa RedDiamonds
 User Gallery

#5414330 - 03/17/06 07:27 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

I've updated the post with a description.

--------------------

俺のシロシャイビケッルリプスがここです。

東京スカパラダイスオクストラ

Invisibleshroomydan
exshroomerite
 User Gallery

#5417335 - 03/18/06 09:40 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Well, the white spore print seems to support your claim of Laccaria. But the Grey spore print seems to rule out Agrocybe...

I hope you see this shroominDole. I'm sorry about the harsh tone of the PM I sent you. It's obvious that with your skills you could be a great asset to this community. I hope I didn't scare you off.

Quote:

I am giving these IDs is as a starting point to compare to literature

A lot of people who come here do not have access to literature. When giving an ID you must always assume that your word will be taken for Gospel. If you tell someone that their mushroom is an active or edible species, you should assume that that person will eat it.

Baycafe has his head on strait, so there was no real danger in this thread, but in my short time here, I have seen quite a few dumb kids post pictures of highly questionable mushrooms, just looking for any excuse to eat them. When you come to this forum to make an ID, please realize that you may be holding someone's life in your hands.

If knowing this does not humble you to the point where you question your own judgment, then we don't need your help. But, if you realize the awesome responsibility which comes with being an online mushroom identifier, then we are honored to have you in this forum and we appreciate your contribution.

shroomydan said:
Quote:

If those are Laccaria, I'll be a monkeys uncle!

:tongue:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order