Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineRu
Cryogenic
    #540435 - 02/04/02 04:14 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

Can spores survive being frozen in solution? Are they dormant untill conditions are right? Does anyone know if they have been killed in shipping due to cold temperature? Does anyone know anything about this?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineCrabTree
Loc: Iceland
Re: Cryogenic [Re: Ru]
    #540613 - 02/04/02 07:40 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

Ive worked with some liquid oxygen, and nitrogen in a past job. Actually, repaired cryogenic tanks, from welding the vacuum tubes, to polishing economizers. Seen many crazy things. As the theory goes, when liquid oxygen contacts an object, it becomes almost instantly frozen. Walt Disney and many other dead dudes are cryogenically frozen in hopes to be revived someday. We once had a body come into the shop that was thawing out encased in a tank. (boy that one was a bitch to fix). The only hard part is thawing frozen objects out. The thaw has to be instantanious to advoid drastic damages.

But i know we used to put cock roaches in liquid nitrogen, than thaw them out and watch them walk away afterwards. We tried the same thing with a few rats we caught under the stairwells. Never seen one of thoes bad boys come back to life. But asfar as a spore goes, I would say freezing it will definitly preserve it.

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Cryogenic [Re: CrabTree]
    #541255 - 02/05/02 11:16 AM (22 years, 1 month ago)

There is a difference between fast freezing and slow freezing.  Most living things die when they are slow-frozen.  As the water molecules in the cells start to freeze they expand grinding each other up.  The slower the freeze, the longer they have to grind on each other.  A fast freeze (using liquid nitrogen, helium if your rich, etc) avoids the grind.

As far as freezing spores... donno, my friend has never tried it.  Give it a try and let us know if it works or not.  :smile:

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Anonymous

Post deleted by Papaver [Re: Ru]
    #541262 - 02/05/02 11:23 AM (22 years, 1 month ago)

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Cryogenic [Re: ]
    #541303 - 02/05/02 12:09 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

I remember reading something long ago on a vendor site (either fanaticus or hawks eye most likey) about shipping in the winter. If I remember correctly, they were claiming that in some cases the solutions froze in transit and were no longer viable. This was years ago and I cannot remember anything more specific.

If you are worried, send an email to the vendor before you order and maybe they will know more.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder