Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinehitabowl75
Stranger
anyone interested in helping me thrue my first attempt
    #5399642 - 03/14/06 03:39 PM (18 years, 18 days ago)

Hi all. I have made a few posts in the last couple of days asking a few questions here and there. I thought id just start a post describing what I'm doing. I guess keeping a journal of it all. Maybe some one might want to keep checking in on me to see if i am doing this correctly or tell me if i doing something wrong.

This is what i have so far. I am doing a WBS spawned on straw. I chose to try Cambodians on my 1st attempt. I have already prepared my seed and jars. I pressure cooked @ 15 psi for an hour. I used docs wild bird seed tek as mu guide. I followed the directions to a t. Last night i inoculated my jars with 1cc each of the solution sent to me from ralphsters. I then took my jars and placed them inside a large tote. I used qt. jars by the way. all 12 fit snuggly inside it. Then I placed a towel on top of the jars to help keep them warmer. I put on the lid to the tote and got another tote of the same size but a little deeper. I filled this ( the bottom tote) with water and a fish tank heater. I placed a glass bowl on top of the heater to keep it in place should thew suction cups fail. I set it at 82 degrees and wrapped the whole thing with a sleeping bag. so far so good hey guys. I hope so anyways.So now for a few questions.

1. How long do i have before I need to prepare the straw. at least a rough idea?

2. Do i need an incubator for the totes I plan to place the straw in? I plan on using large tote as Crazy chemist, and bobstoner did. I am using Shroomgods straw tek as my guide for this.

3. Oh yea a question about my jars. I read somewhere that you should wipe this inside of the jars down to prevent contamination. I believe before pc. But what about after you shake them. I got most all of it off just by tapping but is this a concern i should worry about?

4. Is Shroomgods tek the best one to follow for this process. If not what one do i use?

5. After i colonize the straw does it sort of form itself into like a solid brick of some sort. I was reading about dunking the straw and i was trying to figure out how on went about doing this, and as it will be large what do you place it in?

6. One more for now. How deep should the totes be? Does it matter. I understand how beeing to shallow could be a problem, but what about to deep.I think I have like some 20 gallon totes i was planning on using is this ok?

I would reaslly appreciate as allways any help some of you pros might give. I know i jumping right into this thing but hey you wont learn till you try. Im pretty good at stuff like this also, and i am good at following directions. With you alls help I know i can make this happen. I have a camra maybe ill snap a few pics. Im just not ot hot on putting stuff like that on my computer.Anyway thank again.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleMindsEye
AMT Fiend
Male

Loc: cerebral cortex
Re: anyone interested in helping me thrue my first attempt [Re: hitabowl75]
    #5399750 - 03/14/06 04:12 PM (18 years, 18 days ago)

1. 1-4 weeks depending on the conditions of the jar

2. You can use the inccubator that the jars are in, just remove tote for keeping jars in and put the tote with the spawn and straw in its place

3. No dont open the jars at all until they are colonized

4. That is a good tek, just read all of them, they are all pretty much the same except for little variations

5. If your colonizing straw in a tote you can use the same container to dunk, just fill with 10% h202 solution until the straw brick floats, keep it there for a few hours then drain off excess water

6. 20 gal tote will be fine

It sounds to me like your on the right track, keep us posted!

--------------------
Easy Poo Cake Tek

Offlinehitabowl75
Stranger
Re: anyone interested in helping me thrue my first attempt [Re: MindsEye]
    #5402157 - 03/15/06 05:23 AM (18 years, 18 days ago)

Ive checked the internal temp of my incubator and it is at 79.8 this is good i think. hopefully i will see something soon. it should just look like bits of white fuzz correct?

OfflineSinthetic
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#5402250 - 03/15/06 06:40 AM (18 years, 18 days ago)

If you can turn it up just a little it would be better. 82-86 is optimal. And yes the fuzz means its working. :cool:

InvisibleMindsEye
AMT Fiend
Male

Re: anyone interested in helping me thrue my first attempt [Re: Sinthetic]
    #5402252 - 03/15/06 06:42 AM (18 years, 18 days ago)

86 is a bit on the high side, I like my inccubator at 83F.

--------------------
Easy Poo Cake Tek

Offlinehitabowl75
Stranger
    #5403909 - 03/15/06 02:54 PM (18 years, 18 days ago)

I Will adjust my temps tonight. Ill split the difference and set it to 83. I was just worried about it being to warm . I appreciate the help guys thanks. I fell more confident about all this knowing i have a little experienced help on my side.

Would clear totes be better than dark ones. I thought if they were clear i would be able to see what was going on but maybe not. What do you all think.

Offlinehitabowl75
Stranger
    #5404827 - 03/15/06 05:54 PM (18 years, 17 days ago)

also i am reading up on casing at the moment. Can you recommend the best mix for my little project. I have already Vermiculite, and peat moss, but I'm having trouble finding lime flour. Where do i get this stuff. Its just the very beginning of warming up so the store dint quit have all the spring stuff out yet. This isn't just hydrated lime is it? I'm sure the hydroponics store has it but its 60 miles away and i dint plan on going there if i dint have to. Whit else is it called and where do i find it.

Offlinehitabowl75
Stranger
    #5412275 - 03/17/06 11:06 AM (18 years, 16 days ago)

I went to the feed store today and found the lime flour. THey called it feeder lime. I guess they give it to animals in there feed. Also my jars are begining to colonize. I need to wait till they are 20 % or so before i shake them though correct?

Offlinehitabowl75
Stranger
    #5424507 - 03/21/06 08:16 AM (18 years, 12 days ago)

Ok shroomers where you at. My jars looked at least 20 to 40 percent colonized yesterday. I shook them all well. Im hoping to spawn my straw this weekend. The myc are taking the jar over quicker than i ever thought. Any good info on casing for me.I have all the stuff for the mix now, But what is the best ratio to use, i saw one that said 8 parts peat, 8 parts verm, and 1 part lime. If i measure with qts, Do i add a whole qt of lime to my 8, qts of peat and verm ? It just seemed like a bunch of lime.Also Should i sterelize my casing. I have a pc. If i do sterelize would it be better than the microwave techniques i was reading last night.

Offlinehitabowl75
Stranger
    #5434366 - 03/23/06 12:54 PM (18 years, 10 days ago)

is there anybody out there

Offlinestelthvue
is frightened ofpoo
    #5434385 - 03/23/06 12:59 PM (18 years, 10 days ago)

PCing is always better than microwaving, but many have had success with microwaving. i just microwaved my last casing. i used half verm half jiffy mix and no lime. many suggest lime for PH balance though.

--------------------
No statements made in any post or message by myself should be construed to mean that I am now, or have ever been, participating in or considering participation in any activities in violation of any local, state, or federal laws. All posts are works of fiction.

Offlinehitabowl75
Stranger
Re: anyone interested in helping me thrue my first attempt [Re: stelthvue]
    #5437474 - 03/24/06 08:03 AM (18 years, 9 days ago)

one more question if anyones in the mood to answer.

If using any water to raise humidity while colonizing the straw how much h2o2 do i add per qt. Or gal.

InvisiblemushboyMDiscord
modboy
 User Gallery

Loc: where?
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #5437487 - 03/24/06 08:10 AM (18 years, 9 days ago)

its about a 1:10ratio. just eyeball it. for a gal?? id imagine half cup?????

Offlinehitabowl75
Stranger
Re: anyone interested in helping me thrue my first attempt [Re: mushboy]
    #5511176 - 04/13/06 05:36 AM (17 years, 11 months ago)

I just checked one of my totes and the straw has green mold growing on it . I just trash it correct? Any one know where i went wrong. I still have one more left . i checked it also and it looks OK. The my are just colonizing the top . should be soon

InvisibleMindsEye
AMT Fiend
Male

#5511194 - 04/13/06 05:45 AM (17 years, 11 months ago)

If its green toss it, Im not sure where you went wrong I have never been successfull with straw I allways get green mold, look into poo its far surperior...

--------------------
Easy Poo Cake Tek

Offlinehitabowl75
Stranger
    #5513971 - 04/13/06 09:57 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

i have 1 tote left that had just a little green mold on top. I carefully removed the section . I believe my straw is totally colonized. I treated the area with a strong peroxide solution. I plan on casing tomorow. im just hoping htis works.

One question. I have 14 colonized wbs qts. that i did on a grain to grain before i made the straw totes. Is there a way i can case just the wbs alone? I am a beginner and i just want to grow a couple mushrooms so i can see it work. The green mold things got me pretty discouraged. So any info on if its possible to case wbs alone would be appreciated.

Offlinejenerikcairet
cognitivelibertist
 User Gallery

#5514185 - 04/13/06 10:58 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

yes you can just case the WBS by itself. in theory you will have smaller fruits and less potent fruits but not bad fruits or anything...

--------------------
Yes, ordinary water. Laced with nothing more than a few spoons full of LSD- professor farsnworth

InvisibleOptx
PronouncedAwp-Tiks
 User Gallery

#5514405 - 04/13/06 11:55 PM (17 years, 11 months ago)

you don't need to incubate straw or poo. microorganisms will heat it up plenty on their own. other than that, you seem to be doing well on your own and with everybody else's help.

--------------------
please do not take everything i say here so personally. welcome to teh internets!

Offlinehitabowl75
Stranger
Re: anyone interested in helping me thrue my first attempt [Re: Optx]
    #5514831 - 04/14/06 05:34 AM (17 years, 11 months ago)

I am searching for a link to a tek that describes casing wbs alone . any suggestions.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates