Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineBloomer
Stranger
Microwave Sterilization Tech?
    #539252 - 02/03/02 12:11 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

Hey Now Shroomers:
Heres where I'm at! I'm going to sterilize my plastic contaners and was wondering, "When do you tape over the holes using the microwave tech?" To me it makes sence to tape the holes after the substrate has been sterilized. Tape holes and let cool! Any help with this procedure will be kindly noted. I have not found any info in pasted discussions that really detail the steps. This tech in new to me and need some experienced help.

Thanks For Your Time:
Bloomer

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineBloomer
Stranger
Re: Microwave Sterilization Tech? [Re: Bloomer]
    #539301 - 02/03/02 01:15 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

Do you think I could place the plastic containers in my canning pot on the rack and not have a problem. Or will it melt. Not real hot heat but enough to make steam. Anyone try this before. Trying to make larger cakes. Up for other ideas

Kindly,
Bloomer

Offlinebassplayer74
old hand

Loc: Tennessee
    #539317 - 02/03/02 01:40 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

I would wait till it cools in the micro...then tape the holes....if you tape them when theyre hot, they act like a vacuum when you open them later to innoculate. You may get contamination if you tape when hot. I would'nt put them in your PC either. It may be alright, but I'd hate to get that plastic too hot. I'd just stick with PF tek if I were you. If you want more shrooms look into rye grain or millet in quart jars. Much easier and less chance for contam. take care

--------------------
If you will it, it is no dream.

OfflineNlightNed
Stranger
    #539527 - 02/03/02 06:34 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

This is how a friend of mine does it...

Step One:
Prepare substrate as usual (he uses a 2:3:2 Rice:Verm:Water ratio). Poke a hole in the center of a rubbermaid microwavable container (there like 1 and 1/4 cups each, any size will work, but this size has worked the best) then fill about 1/4 to 1/2 inch from the top. Fill remaining space with dry vermiculite. Place the top back on loosely.

Step Two:
Lysol the inside of your microwave heavily. Place a microwave safe bowl or pan (no metal) with about a 1/4 inch of water into the microwave. Place the substrate container in the water, making sure the lid is only on loosely. Nuke for7 or 8 mins on high.

Step Three:
This is vital. While its nuking take a 1 Gallon Ziploc bag and spray the inside heavily. Wait 2 or 3 mins after the microwave stops before opening the door. When opened quickly transfer the container into the lysoled ziploc and quickly seal the bag. Wait an hour or so until the container has cooled slightly before pushing the lid all the way down, making sure to do this without opening the bag. Keep the container like this for at least a couple of hours. (He's put his in the fridge for a half an hour to speed the cooling)

Step Four:
Now when the bag is opened you should either inoculate them or cover the hole for optimum protection. My freind has left his containers inside the bags for almost a week and still had sucessful colonization.

Hope this helps...

OfflinePowMaster2k
Stranger
Re: Microwave Sterilization Tech? [Re: NlightNed]
    #542548 - 02/06/02 01:32 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

Should the microwave safe ruber made containers that are 1 1/4 C also contain the substrate? also do you poke the hole in the substate containers or a larger one that all the smaller ones go in a bigger one. Once inoculated would it be safe or ok to put tape on the hole. And would polyfil melt in the micro wave?

Thanks Friend

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags