Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinemystamo
Stranger
 User Gallery

Experience With Dunk And Roll, + Casing Question
    #5392168 - 03/12/06 02:46 PM (18 years, 11 days ago)

Well let me start with a thank you to this wonderful community. They have helped me yield my first 2 cakes and both have been great and plentiful with fruit.

Now let?s get to the experience I had with dunking. First off I was very concerned with what dunking was all about. It made no sense to me, how you needed to be so sterile during the whole colonization process but now here I?m reading you open your jar and add tap water??.  :eek: I'm like WTF that makes no sense so I decided to birth one of my colonized cakes while I researched dunking a little more and placed the cake into my terrarium which has a perlite bottom. After about 9 days I had a decent pin set and harvested about 3g dry off that cake. I waited for a while for a second flush but nothing happened and the cake was starting to bruise so I just chucked it.

Now with my second cake I had done my research and realized hey if so many others are doing it without problems I'll try it as well.. So I opened my jar and filled it with tap water. I then placed it in the fridge for 24H... After I did this I made a post on how upset I was since I had just seriously messed around with my cake in open air to force it out of my crappy mason jars.. I even ended up breaking off a good chunk of the cake.. Once I finally got the cake out I rolled it in open air verm which was not sterilized. I then put the cake into my now empty terrarium and the waiting game began again. 6 days later the cake was full of little dots. Later these dots grew into pins I had 4x the number of pins on this cake then the un-dunked cake a couple of the pins were huge!.. It's now been a few days and this cake looks much much better then the first cake. I'm also pretty sure it will give me subsequent flushes as well. I?m so excited right now cuz two of the musies on this cake are huge and just perfect for taking a print or two. I DEFF RECOMMEND THE DUNK AND ROLL TEK.!

Now for my question, I have 2 more fully colonized 1/2 pint jars I wanted to just try my hand at casing. Now I?ve done a lot of reading and am aware that people usually case using a 50/50 Peat/Verm and 60/40 Verm/Coco or Hpoo But I don't have a car to get around and I live in the middle of no where. Now what I do have is perlite and vermiculite. I was wondering if I could make a casing layer out of that combination, or just the verm alone. I was going to use a small Tupperware about a 4x4 I plan on getting about 1.5? Of substrate 1? of perlite as a base and ?? of verm for the top. Will this work?

Thanks in advance

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineALHOFF177A17
DoWn RU?

Re: Experience With Dunk And Roll, + Casing Question [Re: mystamo]
    #5392194 - 03/12/06 02:55 PM (18 years, 11 days ago)

This is my first extremly sucessful grow:
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat...rue#Post5392107
It was done using verm casing only, which is not the best. But it worked.
If you use tupperware you will end up just like those, where you have to birth the casing cuz the pins will grow wherever there is light. It works fine just an extra step...

--------------------
www.DoWnClothing.COM

Offlinemystamo
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Experience With Dunk And Roll, + Casing Question [Re: ALHOFF177A17]
    #5392222 - 03/12/06 03:04 PM (18 years, 11 days ago)

Thankyou for the reply. My intentions are to tape the sides of the tupperware to prevent side pinning. But i'de like to keep them contained . As I acually don't like it the way my cakes pinned from the sides and bottoms.

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
    #5392236 - 03/12/06 03:09 PM (18 years, 11 days ago)

Sure scrape off your excess verm and drop the cakes into a ziploc zip it up and crumble them into nickel sized chunks then pour this out level it good and case using only verm no perlite mist down real good and read my pinning strategy the casing there was also two half pints! :wink: GL and Welcome!

--------------------
Getting the most out of your casings!, A pinning strategy.
Oyster Shell "Flour" $2 for 1lb. a hell of a deal :wink:
Not what is overlay but rather what overlay is
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

Offlinemystamo
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Experience With Dunk And Roll, + Casing Question [Re: hyphae]
    #5392432 - 03/12/06 04:21 PM (18 years, 11 days ago)

hyphae, Very glad you and all the other are always there to help. It was actually the ease of casing that you demonstrated that got me thinking casing is somthing that i'de like to do.
Now I just want to confirm one thing before I go ahead and case my 2 cakes. First, I should sterilize the verm in the oven at about 400 degree's for 30 min right? Now before it goes in the oven I should have the water content correct right? I was going to just use the "squeeze drip test". Lastly I wanted to know how I should set up the whole casing layers. I was going to go with 1"Verm base 1"Substrate And 1"Top Verm Layer If everything is a go then i'm casing these babies tonight. PICS TO FOLLOW!  :smile:

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
    #5392480 - 03/12/06 04:35 PM (18 years, 11 days ago)

No sterilization is required for verm unless the bag was left open. As far as applying it I personally always moisture to field capacity first them sprinkle on, making sure it's thickness is perfectly even, this creates a very airy casing layer with many air pockets throughout compared to dry applications then moistening and makes for a very healthy casing layer. I never use a bottom layer because I never had too and the fact that this bottom layer does not transpire well making it a target for anerobic bacteria. The reason the bottom layer was created was back in the day someone thought a dry bottom layer would soakup excess water from improper water delivery, somewhere over time people started thinking it should be wet helping replenish the substrate during heavy water demands put on it from developing fruits. All in all we know better now and with proper water delivery substrate shrinkage is much less. My pinning strategy explains what proper water delivery is BTW. GL

--------------------
Getting the most out of your casings!, A pinning strategy.
Oyster Shell "Flour" $2 for 1lb. a hell of a deal :wink:
Not what is overlay but rather what overlay is
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder