Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinecappsnstems
pooface
Female

Loc: UpNorthDownSouthBackEast&...
******UPDATE*****how does my substrate look? (pics)i think something bad happened
    #5370546 - 03/06/06 11:38 AM (18 years, 17 days ago)

so, i sterilized 23 jars of the brf/verm mixture.........
and when i was making the substrate, i remade at least 3-4 batches of the substrate because i ran out. I tried keeping it as even as possible, tried keeping it all the same....
so, i put the 23 jars in my PC, stacked,  did the 55 min at 15 psi, with a little bit less than an inch of water, and left it to cool over night.
when i was getting all ready to knock up my jars, i took a jar out to examine it....
I had lids on, tape over the holes, then foil, then another peice of tape over that so i wouldn't get any water in there.
they were pretty sealed, but i left a little space open at the ends of the foil.

and this is the first one i took out.  the tape over the holes were wet, but not really so much underneath, and the mixture looked FUCKED up....and there was still water in the bottom of the PC. I don't know what happend. I opened this one (and of course didn't inoculate it) to see what happened, and i noticed that the dry layer was still bone dry.

(dry verm layer)

(bottom of jar...is that water building up???)

see how it's seperated like that??? you can see straight thru the damn jar!
it's like the dry layer held up, and some wet stuck to it, then seperated during sterlization.......and it looks like a bunch of water got in there and messed eveything up. but i don't see how that could happen when the dry layer was fine.

i don't know if the pressre cooker like, seperated it, or i had a bad mix or what?? i was keeping it all the same measurements. and about 4 of the jars came out looking like what they're supposed to and the rest looked like this. and i did about 6 jars with each batch of substrate.

and i wasn't sure if it was good or bad, and i dont have the net at home, so i went ahead and inoculated the other jars that looked like this.
it may have been a bad move...i don't know.

i honestly don't know what to do about these.....
I started incubation on friday, at 80-83F and i haven't seen any contams so far. and in the jars that looked O.K., i think i see some small signs of colonization. but no contams.
I even kept this jar sitting on my kitchen counter to see how long it would take to grow contams, and it hasn't yet.

so, i'm not sure whats going on. I don't know if the mycelium will even grow on conditions like this. is it possible to obtain bacterial contamination during sterilization??
because i read that bacterial contams make the substrate look wet and slimy, like what this looks like........

i don't know. i'm kinda upset about this, any help would be awesome. :mad: :frown: :thumbdown: :confused:

*****UPDATE********

The 13 jars that i inoculated that looked like the one above, seem to be doing just fine...........

The mycelium is spreading as rapid as the other "normal" jars, except it's not colonizing on the outside of the substrate....its growing inside the seperated parts........i think thats because the substrate is so wet and it's stuck to the glass really good.

there are a few jars where i can see very very thick white stuff trying very hard to make its way to the inside surface of the glass........i loosened the tops really good for some gas exchange, maybe to dry that sucker out....

but i'm going to let these jars go for as long as possible, and case them.

i'll edit this again tomorrow and put some pictures up......

thanks everyone for all your help!!!

--------------------
be good humans. <3<3<3

:cuteshit:i support headypoo!:cuteshit:

Edited by cappsnstems (03/14/06 10:45 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleFooMan
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Earth Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: how does my substrate look? (pics)i think something bad happened [Re: cappsnstems]
    #5370611 - 03/06/06 11:51 AM (18 years, 17 days ago)

What was the ratio of verm:BRF:water?

The jars look a little on the wet side to me.

--------------------

Quick WBS Prep

Offlinecappsnstems
pooface
Female

Re: how does my substrate look? (pics)i think something bad happened [Re: FooMan]
    #5370640 - 03/06/06 11:58 AM (18 years, 17 days ago)

for each batch, i used
3 cups verm
1 1/2 cups BRF
1 1/2 cups water....

and i DID put a tiny bit more water in a couple batches because the consistancy seemed to be dryer than the one before.
i'm talking, a little-like 1/8 cup.

but i filled 6 jars with each batch, and only 4 jars came out looking right. so, i don't see what could've changed.

--------------------
be good humans. <3<3<3

OfflineSinthetic
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: how does my substrate look? (pics)i think something bad happened [Re: cappsnstems]
    #5370651 - 03/06/06 12:01 PM (18 years, 17 days ago)

I've never seen anything like that. Maybe you had airpockets when you were filling the jars?

Offlinecappsnstems
pooface
Female

#5370687 - 03/06/06 12:14 PM (18 years, 17 days ago)

well, i tried keeping it light and fluffy, and i didn't pack it.

i did do a light slam of the glass before i put the dry verm in, but it didn't seem to move much.........
i didn't see anything abnormal with the way i filled the jars....
i don't know, it is my first time, but i followed instructions to the T,
besides adding that small amount of water....

i just want to know if mycelium will even grow in this.
because i inoculated the rest that looked like this....
or, is there anything i can do, like dry them out or something?

ughhh i dunno....=(

--------------------
be good humans. <3<3<3

OfflineArgo
Leader of many,Follower of manymore
Male

#5370826 - 03/06/06 01:03 PM (18 years, 17 days ago)

Definately looks wet... I would ditch any jars that look wet like that. Last grow, some of the jars I prepared looked "wet". These same jars had very slow growth (if any) and some had contams.

--------------------

OfflineSinthetic
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#5370835 - 03/06/06 01:05 PM (18 years, 17 days ago)

Is the open space water or air?

Offlinecappsnstems
pooface
Female

Re: how does my substrate look? (pics)i think something bad happened [Re: Argo]
    #5370850 - 03/06/06 01:11 PM (18 years, 17 days ago)

yeah. wow that sucks. I figured it would be very slow growth. I've got 4 jars that looked right and my boyfriend is babysitting them and gave me an update that there's already some large mycelium spots growing....
so i've got 4 out of 22 going good.

ugh.

--------------------
be good humans. <3<3<3

Offlinecappsnstems
pooface
Female

Re: how does my substrate look? (pics)i think something bad happened [Re: Sinthetic]
    #5370852 - 03/06/06 01:11 PM (18 years, 17 days ago)

its air.......

--------------------
be good humans. <3<3<3

Offlineheadbig
Stranger
    #5370875 - 03/06/06 01:23 PM (18 years, 17 days ago)

looks like you packed them to lightly and it just simply seperated and compresed. did you try smacking the jar against your hand to pack it back down?

Offlinecappsnstems
pooface
Female

#5370923 - 03/06/06 01:37 PM (18 years, 17 days ago)

i kinda slammed them down on the counter with some paper towel underneath, but it didn't move much becuase it was so thick.....

--------------------
be good humans. <3<3<3

OfflineSinthetic
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#5370937 - 03/06/06 01:39 PM (18 years, 17 days ago)

In that case, they should still be able to colonize ok.

Offlinecappsnstems
pooface
Female

Re: how does my substrate look? (pics)i think something bad happened [Re: Sinthetic]
    #5370945 - 03/06/06 01:41 PM (18 years, 17 days ago)

really? you think so????

i don't know......will it take a super long time??
because i'm thinking that i might dump them and try again.....

--------------------
be good humans. <3<3<3

Offlinecappsnstems
pooface
Female

#5370965 - 03/06/06 01:50 PM (18 years, 17 days ago)

i think i'm going to go and get more jars, and more BRF and try again with what i have left in the syringes.........

--------------------
be good humans. <3<3<3

InvisiblePORkSOdA
Living incaptivity

Loc: Maryland
    #5371040 - 03/06/06 02:18 PM (18 years, 17 days ago)

They will probably colonize ok. They might take a long time since the substrate is packed so much, but they'll probably not have contamination problems from that. When I used to do cakes with flour they would always pack a bit when I pced, but the dry layer would fall down with the substrate. If you're going to buy more supplies and try again, you could get wildbird seed, simmer it, then substitute it for the brf. Since you wont have any powder in the jars there will have to be more room for the mycelium to colonize, whether they get packed down again or not.

Offlinecappsnstems
pooface
Female

Re: how does my substrate look? (pics)i think something bad happened [Re: PORkSOdA]
    #5373499 - 03/07/06 08:12 AM (18 years, 16 days ago)

yeah, i was planning on trying WBS for my next try

i did end up doing 8 more jars last night, and didn't add extra water, and made sure those bitches were sealed like a mother.....
and they came out looking great.

and i checked my jars last night, and i see some very small signs of growth in those f'd up jars.....and the growth is in the seperated parts, like, chillin on the ledge and in the middle......haha
so, i still have some faith.........i'm going to let them go until i want to give up on them......

but moy other jars, the good lookin ones are on average 30% colonized.....which is awesome

--------------------
be good humans. <3<3<3

OfflinePr0_X
CultivationLifer
Male User Gallery

Loc: Igloo's and polar bears
    #5373520 - 03/07/06 08:23 AM (18 years, 16 days ago)

lol....Defiantly looks contammed :wink:

--------------------
It's okay to hurt my feelings
cause you know, they're so numb anyway.
but I guess it's what I get
for being to fuckin stupid to stay away - Jake

- Support the FSR at www.fsrcanada.com and www.fsre.nl

Offlineweedpreference
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: how does my substrate look? (pics)i think something bad happened [Re: Pr0_X]
    #5373536 - 03/07/06 08:33 AM (18 years, 16 days ago)

Quote:

Pr0_X said:
lol....Defiantly looks contammed :wink:

good call.....

Offlinecappsnstems
pooface
Female

Re: how does my substrate look? (pics)i think something bad happened [Re: Pr0_X]
    #5373542 - 03/07/06 08:37 AM (18 years, 16 days ago)

i don't think it's contaminated.....

i didn't inoculate that jar, and those pictures were taken about an hour after i took it out of the PC, 24 hours after i sterilized.....

i've had that one sitting on my kitchen counter since friday, and i don't see any contams.
i opened that thing too, and had it open for a few hours.....
i'm keeping it to see how long it would take that kind of substrate to develop something bad in it....

--------------------
be good humans. <3<3<3

Offlineweedpreference
Stranger
 User Gallery

#5373545 - 03/07/06 08:39 AM (18 years, 16 days ago)

no def not contamned. just looks really wet

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate