Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleveggieM

House OKs ban on pure form of DXM [IL]
    #5332529 - 02/23/06 06:17 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

House OKs ban on pure form of DXM
February 23, 2006 - news-gazette.com

SPRINGFIELD ? The Illinois House on Wednesday unanimously approved legislation to help prevent abuse of a common cough suppressant that led to the 2004 death of a Douglas County teen.

Dextromethorphan, or DXM, is found in more than 140 over-the-counter cough medicines, according to the National Drug Intelligence Center, part of the U.S. Department of Justice.

DXM is safe in recommended doses, but can be extremely dangerous in large quantities.

Some abusers have been known to drink half a bottle or more of cough syrup to get a high, but a growing number have been purchasing DXM in pure form over the Internet.

That is reportedly where the drug was obtained that killed 17-year-old Eric Richardson of rural Hindsboro, whose death was ruled a suicide. An Oakland teen who ingested the drug with him was hospitalized, but survived.

"It's too late, unfortunately, for my constituents, but I think it's important that we pass this bill to prevent future tragedies," said state Rep. Chapin Rose, R-Mahomet, the sponsor of HB 4300.

The measure would not restrict sales or use of over-the-counter medicines containing the drug, but would make possession, sale, delivery or distribution of pure form DXM a felony.

"If they're buying pure form DXM, there's a problem," Rose said.

According to the National Institute on Drug Abuse and Partnership for a Drug-Free America, overdosing on DXM, either in pure form or via cough medicine, can produce nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, dizziness, confusion, poor coordination, rapid heart rate and hallucinations. In some cases, it can cause inability to talk or move one's limbs, coma, and ultimately, even death.

Reports of DXM abuse have been on the rise nationally and in Illinois, according to state Rep. Dan Brady, R-Bloomington, a co-sponsor of the bill.

"It's a drug that has already claimed several lives across the state of Illinois," Brady said.

One of those occurred in Brady's district.

Jonathan Frary of Peoria, a 22-year-old Illinois State University student, died of an overdose of pure DXM in September 2003.

The DXMlegislation now heads to the Senate for consideration.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleSuperD
Cacti junky
 User Gallery

Loc: The bridgesii bridge
Re: House OKs ban on pure form of DXM [IL] [Re: veggie]
    #5333161 - 02/23/06 09:25 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Granted, any death is bad, but when you can count the number of deaths on one hand that the particular drug has caused in a single state, I don't see it as a big threat.

--------------------
:super:D
Manoa said:
I need to stop spending all my money on plants and take up a cheaper hobby, like heroin. :lol:

Looking for Rauhocereus riosaniensis seeds or live specimen(s), :pm: me if you have any for trade

InvisibleZippoZM
Knomadic
 User Gallery

Loc: Pongyang, North Korea
Re: House OKs ban on pure form of DXM [IL] [Re: SuperD]
    #5333271 - 02/23/06 09:50 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

note this bill is headed for the same senate in IL that just voted to leagalise med marijuana.....

weird times to be sure...

--------------------
PEACE

:mushroom2:zippoz:mushroom2:

"in times of widespread chaos and confusion, it has been the duty of more advanced human beings - artists, scientists, clowns, and philosophers - to create order. In such times as ours however, when there is too much order, too much m management, too much programming and control, it becomes the duty of superior men and women and women to fling their favorite monkey wrenches into the machinery. To relieve the repression of the human spirit, they must sow doubt and disruption"

"People do it every day, they talk to themselves ... they see themselves as they'd like to be, they don't have the courage you have, to just run with it."

InvisibleKoala Koolio
TTAGGGTTAGGGTTAGGGTTAGGG

Re: House OKs ban on pure form of DXM [IL] [Re: ZippoZ]
    #5333748 - 02/23/06 11:58 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Not only that, they're soon to ban salvia in that state.

"That is reportedly where the drug was obtained that killed 17-year-old Eric Richardson of rural Hindsboro, whose death was ruled a suicide. "

Jesus fucking christ. If the guy used a tax form to slit his wrists, would that be illegal? People kill themselves with all sorts of shit. Obviously this isn't their only point they're making, but it's a damn shitty one.

--------------------
You're not like the others. You like the same things I do. Wax paper, boiled football leather... dog breath. We're not hitch-hiking anymore, we're riding!

Offlinefresh313
journeyman
 User Gallery

Re: House OKs ban on pure form of DXM [IL] [Re: Koala Koolio]
    #5334003 - 02/24/06 03:01 AM (18 years, 1 month ago)

please government , protect me from myself , its your job

straight jackets and padded rooms for everyone

Offlinefresh313
journeyman
 User Gallery

Re: House OKs ban on pure form of DXM [IL] [Re: fresh313]
    #5334065 - 02/24/06 03:47 AM (18 years, 1 month ago)

"If they're buying pure form DXM, there's a problem," Rose said.

lol, isnt the pure dxm safer than the OTC stuff w/ all the extra junk?

Invisiblebeavis190
(.Y.)'s
Male User Gallery

Loc: lost in my head
Re: House OKs ban on pure form of DXM [IL] [Re: fresh313]
    #5335823 - 02/24/06 07:20 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

its this kinda of bullshit that makes me really mad :hulk:bcuz one kid died from it that means its bad? more ppl die from aspirin than illegal drugs...wtf isnt aspirin illegal yet?alcohol and tobacco are the #1 killers in america yet they are perfectly legal?just bcuz some bitch is on the rag there gunna make it illegal wut a fucked up world we live in....

OfflineRemainRandom50
Do You Need ToKnow Me?
Re: House OKs ban on pure form of DXM [IL] [Re: SuperD]
    #5337377 - 02/25/06 08:41 AM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

SuperD said:
Granted, any death is bad, but when you can count the number of deaths on one hand that the particular drug has caused in a single state, I don't see it as a big threat.

agreed.

--------------------
At times I get consumed by my everyday life and will leave the Shroomery. Yet, every time drugs come falling into my life for fun.....I always think about the Shroomery and then I'm back!

OfflinemotamanM
old hand
 User Gallery
Pure form of DXM banned [Re: veggie]
    #5678157 - 05/26/06 07:44 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

http://www.pjstar.com/stories/052606/REG_B9U05SIP.025.shtml

Pure form of DXM banned

Governor signs law advocated by Peorians

Friday, May 26, 2006

By Adriana Colindres

OF Copley News Service
SPRINGFIELD - Buying or selling the pure form of a drug known as DXM will be illegal in Illinois under a plan that Gov. Rod Blagojevich signed into law on Thursday.

Greg Frary of Peoria, who with his wife, Linda, had lobbied for the new law, said it was "a real thrill" to learn of the governor's action.

Their son, Jonathan Frary, died in September 2003 from what authorities ruled was an accidental overdose of dextromethorphan hydrobromide. The 22-year-old Illinois State University student, a psychology major, had a particular interest in dream research and apparently thought that DXM would enhance his dreams, Linda Frary told lawmakers earlier this year.

He was able to buy the drug legally on the Internet, according to his parents.

In e-mailed comments Thursday, the Frarys called the newly passed law an important one.

"Our hope is that this will spare other Illinois parents the agony of losing their child to this dangerous drug," they wrote.

They added that they would like to see similar legislation passed either at the federal level or in each of the other 49 states.

Dextromethorphan, or DXM, is an ingredient in some cold and cough medicines. The pure form, a white powder, acts as a hallucinogen.

The new law, which takes effect Jan. 1, 2007, will make possession of the pure form of DXM a Class 4 felony, generally punishable by up to three years in prison. Selling or distributing pure DXM will be a Class 2 felony, generally punishable by up to seven years in prison.

"The idea that kids can go online and easily get their hands on a dangerous drug is appalling," Blagojevich said in a news release. The new law will help to stop that, he added.

The measure sailed through the General Assembly this year as House Bill 4300. No one in the Senate or House voted against it.

Sponsors of the legislation included Reps. Chapin Rose, R-Mahomet; Dan Brady, R-Bloomington; and David Leitch and Aaron Schock, both R-Peoria; as well as Sen. Dale Risinger, R-Peoria; and Sen. George Shadid, D-Peoria.

--------------------
http://heffter.org

OfflineSchwip
Never sleeps.
 User Gallery

Re: Pure form of DXM banned [Re: motaman]
    #5680338 - 05/27/06 12:38 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

Isnt it the otc mixtures(ie. coricidin) that have been causing problems?

How is banning the PURE form going to do any good.

--------------------
--------------------------------

" If the sky were to suddenly open up there would be no law. There would be no rule. There would only be you and your memories... the choices you've made, and the people you've touched. If this world were to end there would only be you and him and no-one else. "

"MAN! You know there aint no such thing as left over crack!"

OfflineCptnGarden
fuck this site
Re: Pure form of DXM banned [Re: Schwip]
    #5680638 - 05/27/06 02:33 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

alot of kids have OD'd from pure forms of DXM bought from oversea online vendors from what ive read the past 3 years.

OfflineSchwip
Never sleeps.
 User Gallery

Re: Pure form of DXM banned [Re: CptnGarden]
    #5681882 - 05/27/06 10:26 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

damn....how much dxm would one have to take in order to OD?

over a gram?

if these damn kids have the smarts to order the pure dxm online or where ever......they what, just neglected to read dosage info?

people never cease to amaze me......

myself included

--------------------
--------------------------------

" If the sky were to suddenly open up there would be no law. There would be no rule. There would only be you and your memories... the choices you've made, and the people you've touched. If this world were to end there would only be you and him and no-one else. "

"MAN! You know there aint no such thing as left over crack!"

OfflineCptnGarden
fuck this site
Re: Pure form of DXM banned [Re: Schwip]
    #5682040 - 05/27/06 11:21 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

most kids dont have scales and are just lookin to "get fucked up"
its a bad combination.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale