Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineDelinquentes
TIMMMAYYYYYYY
Male User Gallery

Loc: Hidin' in a bowl of rice
Classic PF tek with 1 pint jars. -- A ghetto grow log. *Picture Update*
    #5330576 - 02/23/06 04:13 AM (18 years, 28 days ago)

Captains Log: Stardate 02.19.2006

I inocculate my jars and the countdown begins. T-minus however long it takes.

Captains Log (suplimental): Stardate 02.18.2006

Jump back a day. I decide since it's my first grow, I dont want to get fancy. I am going to stick with the standard PF tek for preparing a brown rice flour (heretofor known as BRF) substrate. I may decide to case one or more of these, but you'll have to read on to find out. I pick up the jars, and some Uncle Ben's brown rice (I think it was par-boiled quick rice). I pick up a coffee grinder for the grinding duties and I have mucho vermiculite from a previous hobby....I am off to the races. Well, sort of. I'm not confident just boiling the jars, so I need a PC. Well then.....eBay to the rescue! I got this cooker from a company called Fagor. It's the Rapida model and it's from spain. Read the full review HERE

Here is a picture of it:

Well then...

I ground the BR to a fine flour, sifted through a sieve and reground the larger material. I have read where some folks use the mixture more coarse and other go for the all-out flour. I chose the latter. After I ground up the flour I followed the PF tek recipie and carefully calculated the amounts to upsize to the 1 pint jars. I filled them very lightly with a spoon and left lem about an inch from the top. I carefully wiped the inside lip of the jar and topped them off with 1/2 inch or so of dry vermiculite. I had pre-prepped the lids with 3 holes and taped them with simple 3M plastic tape. On the lids went (loosely) and they were covered in a double-layer of tin foil. I placed them on a rack in the preheated PC (followiing manfacturers instructions as you should also do.) The total PC time was 1hr 15 minutes. The PC was removed from the heat and left to cool naturally over night. I had enough mixture to fill another 4 jars for some reason. If I do this method again, I will adjust accordingly.

Captains Log: Stardate 02.19.2006

I cleaned a small extra bathroom I have..scrubbed it all down, ran the HEPA and the Ghetto Ozone Generator in the room for about an hour prior to entering. Everything I took through the door was moistened with Lysol. I soaked a paper towel in 90% isopropyl and wrapped it around the needle when I opened it up. I flamed the needle using a propane torch (no soot) till it was red hot. When it cooled a little, I wiped it with the isopropyl and wiped each tape mark on the jars. I inoculated each jar. I'm guessing I used around 6ml for 4 jars. I recovered in foil and put them in this thing:

I figured I should add a little heat and humidity to the party to get in to the temperature range that it optimal So I stole this idea from another forum. All it is, is a candle wamer with a glass of 80/20 H2O and H2O2. The water in the glass stays about 130oF It's very easy and uber-ghetto cheap! **Be careful using one of these. I recommend using a GFCI device in line to prevent fires and shock

I am still not happy with the temp or the humidity (I am practicing maintaining humidity for fruiting) so I get a bright idea...I put a trash bag over it as seen here:

Well, I am still and not getting the conditions that I am looking for, so I put a dog hair-covered blanket over it to tuck it in all nice:

NOW I have something I can work with. I know I am going to get shit for this, but here is a picture of the temperature of the incubator. It varies from 80oF to this which is the highest:

Captains Log: Stardate 02.22.2006

I snapped some pictures today and things are progressing just fine in my opinion. I am seeing white below each hole that I inoculated. You can be the judge of how it looks:

So that's where I stand as of this stardate. I will provide more details as I can. Later, I will add a section for the LC runs I am doing, but my fingers are tired.

--------------------
"The price of meat has just gone up,
and your old lady has just gone down!" ~~ Zappa

Click Here for a ghetto ozone generator Tek.

Want to learn more about ozone as a bacteria killer?  Click Here

Edited by Delinquentes (03/01/06 08:35 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineBamaman
...has issues.

Loc: Down the rabbit hole...
Re: P. cubensis Classic PF tek with 1 pint jars. -- A ghetto grow log. [Re: Delinquentes]
    #5330721 - 02/23/06 06:59 AM (18 years, 28 days ago)

Ummm.... dude....you don't want humidity in the incubation stage. It's not needed, nor recommended, until the fruiting stage.

--------------------
Diabetes causes hamsters.

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Re: P. cubensis Classic PF tek with 1 pint jars. -- A ghetto grow log. [Re: Bamaman]
    #5330728 - 02/23/06 07:06 AM (18 years, 28 days ago)

Right, albeit if I understood right, he is just testing the humidity in a different chamber.

But you don't want the temperature to go over 85?F.

OfflineSinthetic
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: P. cubensis Classic PF tek with 1 pint jars. -- A ghetto grow log. [Re: Anno]
    #5330744 - 02/23/06 07:17 AM (18 years, 28 days ago)

Just try to keep the temp down and everything looks great.

OfflineBamaman
...has issues.

Re: P. cubensis Classic PF tek with 1 pint jars. -- A ghetto grow log. [Re: Sinthetic]
    #5330754 - 02/23/06 07:28 AM (18 years, 28 days ago)

Nope, he's definitely running that high RH in his incubation box. :spank:

--------------------

OfflineBataviaVakereli
Stranger
Re: P. cubensis Classic PF tek with 1 pint jars. -- A ghetto grow log. [Re: Bamaman]
    #5331681 - 02/23/06 01:13 PM (18 years, 28 days ago)

While you may think 96 isn't bad, it is. Not only is it really high, but the substrate being packed in those jars and growing is going to create even more heat.

OfflineDr_Mcgillicuddy
Stranger

Re: P. cubensis Classic PF tek with 1 pint jars. -- A ghetto grow log. [Re: BataviaVakereli]
    #5331868 - 02/23/06 02:10 PM (18 years, 28 days ago)

is there a verm layer in the jars ?

Invisibletiny_rabid_birds
Nocturnal
 User Gallery

Loc: estados unidos
Re: P. cubensis Classic PF tek with 1 pint jars. -- A ghetto grow log. [Re: Dr_Mcgillicuddy]
    #5331886 - 02/23/06 02:17 PM (18 years, 28 days ago)

Quote:

I filled them very lightly with a spoon and left lem about an inch from the top. I carefully wiped the inside lip of the jar and topped them off with 1/2 inch or so of dry vermiculite.

My guess is yes.  :smirk:

--------------------

OfflineDelinquentes
TIMMMAYYYYYYY
Male User Gallery

Re: P. cubensis Classic PF tek with 1 pint jars. -- A ghetto grow log. [Re: tiny_rabid_birds]
    #5331910 - 02/23/06 02:25 PM (18 years, 28 days ago)

I've adjusted the blanket and the temps are 81o to 87oF now. That should be better. How much heat do the jars put off?

--------------------

OfflineSnaggletooth
Stranger in a Strange Land
Male User Gallery

Loc: blinks stupidly
Re: P. cubensis Classic PF tek with 1 pint jars. -- A ghetto grow log. [Re: Delinquentes]
    #5332199 - 02/23/06 04:09 PM (18 years, 28 days ago)

I have had a RH incubator for a few months, not by design but it is in the 80-90 RH.

Needed......I don't know but I have had no problems with RH in the incubator, maybe luck or it does not matter that much.

I would think some RH is better then none,

But good effort there with this LOG,

Good luck  :thumbup:

--------------------

Atheist Chat

OfflineDelinquentes
TIMMMAYYYYYYY
Male User Gallery

Re: P. cubensis Classic PF tek with 1 pint jars. -- A ghetto grow log. [Re: Snaggletooth]
    #5332346 - 02/23/06 05:14 PM (18 years, 28 days ago)

Quote:

Snaggletooth said:
I have had a RH incubator for a few months, not by design but it is in the 80-90 RH.

Needed......I don't know but I have had no problems with RH in the incubator, maybe luck or it does not matter that much.

I would think some RH is better then none,

I agree. I looked at it like this. The heat in my house is very dry. I run a humidifier down here in the media room, but the RH never goes much above 38 to 40%. That kind of dryness would tend to dry out my cakes it the incubation period takes a long time. I figure by providing >75% humidity should create an equilibrium and the jars will neither loose moisture nor gain it.

To the others:

If I get contaminants and am proved wrong, so be it. It's my mistake to make, but thank you for the concern.

--------------------

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
    #5332410 - 02/23/06 05:34 PM (18 years, 28 days ago)

Ok when incubating casings yes high RH is nice, when incubating spawn jars with holes/filter patches higher RH's keeps jars from drying out on the surface especially species that take 60 days (wood lovers). Flip side contams love moist warm temps so keep it clean. PFTek needs no added RH period.

--------------------
Getting the most out of your casings!, A pinning strategy.
Oyster Shell "Flour" $2 for 1lb. a hell of a deal :wink:
Not what is overlay but rather what overlay is
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

OfflineBamaman
...has issues.

Re: P. cubensis Classic PF tek with 1 pint jars. -- A ghetto grow log. [Re: hyphae]
    #5337348 - 02/25/06 08:27 AM (18 years, 26 days ago)

Quote:

hyphae said:
PFTek needs no added RH period.

Thank you hyphae.

To original poster:

I have seen more than one grow log of those trying to humidify their incubator and get jars of contammed mush. Quit doing it while your luck is holding.

--------------------

OfflineDelinquentes
TIMMMAYYYYYYY
Male User Gallery

#5354997 - 03/01/06 08:36 PM (18 years, 21 days ago)

Here are some pictures taken Stardate 03.01.2006

Some notes: I did not shake spores well before inoculating. Some injection sites are blank. Will not have this problem in the future as I have viable LC. Shake your syringes WELL! I am impressed with the speed so far. I hope to inoculate my first grains this weekend.

--------------------

Edited by Delinquentes (03/01/06 08:39 PM)

InvisibleliloldmeFacebook
( ͝° ͜ʖ͡°)つ=D
Other User Gallery

Loc: Zone 8
Trusted Cultivator
    #5355159 - 03/01/06 09:00 PM (18 years, 21 days ago)

looking good!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds