Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineroykinn
enthusiast

Incubator too hot...
    #532323 - 01/26/02 06:37 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

I made an incubator out of a foam box, fish tank heater and jar of water... Well, I put my rye grain bags in 4 days ago, these bags were already 3/4 colonized with Gulf Coast spores. I went and bought a little thermometer today just so I could see how the temp was doing in there, after 2 hours I check the thermometer in the incubator and it turned out to be ~95 degrees, is my mycelium dead after being exposed to that for 4 days? any hope?

--------------------
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline- It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nunclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." -Frank Zappa

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSyd_barret
The Greatest
Re: Incubator too hot... [Re: roykinn]
    #532344 - 01/26/02 07:13 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

I think thermal death is like 106 F

Offlineroykinn
enthusiast

Re: Incubator too hot... [Re: Syd_barret]
    #532349 - 01/26/02 07:19 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

Ok, thanks, I'm guessing it'll need a little time to recover from the heat, I don't think it dryed them out which is a good thing.

--------------------
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline- It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nunclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." -Frank Zappa

InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montana
Trusted Cultivator
    #532386 - 01/26/02 08:08 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

Thermal death is 106.

You are probably gonna be ok.

If they were jars ....95 degrees in container........97 degrees in the jars.
Good luck!

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

Edited by Roadkill (01/26/02 08:11 PM)

Offlineroykinn
enthusiast

Re: Incubator too hot... [Re: Roadkill]
    #532483 - 01/26/02 10:00 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

thanks, they arent in jars, they're in filter patch bags. I hope everything works out... I left them unattended @ 75 degrees for 5 weeks while on vacation, when I came back they were 3/4 colonized, I broke up the mycelium into chunks while still in the bag in hopes to spread around the spawn. How long do you think it will be for them to recover and start growing again?

--------------------

Invisiblemrdasani
enthusiast
    #542101 - 02/06/02 02:41 AM (22 years, 1 month ago)

I had the same exact situation, only problem now is, im fed up with configuring the incubator. Its like 95F on the bottom layer of jars and 70F on the top. I got a blanket and a top. The aquarium heater is going,and i got the supports to keep the extra bin away from touching the water. Now my jars on the bottom look darker and really cooked ! What the hell man. I just cant wait till summer, this winter weather ust fucks up the temp for these poor babies. I have to even plan on setting the temp right ont he terranium too? Fuck! Anyway, Im almost ready to give up on this shit just cause of the temp problem, and this is about my 8th time doing it around. Isn't that grand.

--------------------
"Come on you raver, you seer of visions,
come on you painter, you piper, you prisoner, and shine!" - Pink Floyd (Wish You Were Here 1975)

"Never underestimate the power of denial." -from American Beauty.

OfflineTeRzMaStA
Psilocybin Pimp

Re: Incubator too hot... [Re: mrdasani]
    #542106 - 02/06/02 02:47 AM (22 years, 1 month ago)

Failure

--------------------
Think for yourself; Question Authority

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Incubator too hot... [Re: mrdasani]
    #542305 - 02/06/02 09:17 AM (22 years, 1 month ago)

You might need a small fan to circulate the air in your incubator to help even the temperatures out. Of course, this will also help spread any contamination.

A larger space should also help even out the temperatures. Mmmm... thermal transfer... I hated that class. Anyway, if you have hot spots then there is a problem with the layout of your box and heat source. You have a source generating heat. As you get further from the source, the heat transfered begins to decrease. Different mediums (water vs air) also transfer heat at different rates and with different efficiencies. If you want even heating, then you want to have all of your jars in the same medium and at a fairly constant distance from the heat source. The more medium between the sink (what you are heating) and the source (your heater) the more even the heat will be. Some mediums, like copper, transfer heat evenly and well. Others, like steel, do not. Heat also rises (actually, cold air sinks pushing up hot air, but this isn't on a test) so if you stack jars, the ones on top will tend to be warmer than the ones on the bottom, all else being equal. My friend has never used a home built incubator, so my help is limited to theory, not practice or experimentation.

You can pick up a lab incubator fairly cheap on labx, though be careful you watch the size, weight, and shipping costs. They usually have one or two going every few weeks.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflineHumidity
Mad Scientist
Loc: Somewhere in Northeast OH
Re: Incubator too hot... [Re: Seuss]
    #542367 - 02/06/02 10:45 AM (22 years, 1 month ago)

That is why you should set up your incubator (or terrarium) at least 1 week before you put anything in it. That way you can monitor temps and other conditions and make corrections before they cost you.

--------------------
_____________________________________________________________________________________
"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck