Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineDelinquentes
TIMMMAYYYYYYY
Male User Gallery

Loc: Hidin' in a bowl of rice
Ghetto ozone generator - Plans (A tek, maybe?)
    #5319917 - 02/20/06 03:16 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Folks, forgive me for the caps to follow, but I have to stress the point.

*******WARNING!!!!!!!!!*********** EXTREME CAUTION MUST BE OBSERVED WHEN DEALING WITH ELECTRICITY. THIS PROJECT DEALS WITH VOLTAGES AND AMPERAGES THAT CAN KILL YOU QUICKLY. IF YOU ARE NOT COMFORTABLE WITH THIS, DO NOT ATTEMPT IT. THIS IS A WARNING......YOU COULD BE KILLED BY THIS PROJECT.******** I WILL NOT BE HELD LIABLE FOR YOU INJURING YOURSELF. USE CAUTION*******

Ok, with all that out of the way...let's build a ghetto ozone generator.

Parts List:
Transformer
Some type of glass (either plate glass or a jar as I have)
Heavy-duty alligator clips
metal mesh, aluminum screen or metal screen
High-temp hot glue gun
Some type of switch if the transformer does not have one.

Where and what to get:

First you need a transformer for a NEON sign. You should look for something like 6-15KV (yes that is kilovolt as in thousands of volts.) These can be had at most sign shops (tell them you are making a tesla coil) or can be had on ebay for cheap. Sometimes if you are lucky, you can find them in the dumpster behind the sign shop after it closes. Use your head when dumpster diving.

You need a piece of glass like the glass from a picture frame or a glass jar like I have. I have tried several picture frames glass pieces and the cheap ones burn through quickly. You could have a piece of 1.4 " glass cut if you like, but the title is "ghetto" for a reason. I used a prego sauce jar and it's very durable.

You need some screen material. I ripped mine out of and old screen I had laying around. You can buy it at Casa De Pot if you need to. It must be metal screen, not vinyl or plastic....metal.

Alligator clips can be had at Casa De Pot or at Radio Hut.

Glue gun - If you don't know what one is, go to a craft store and ask for one.

The Process:

Cut the screen so you have two pieces...if you are using flat glass, cut the screen so it is at least 1/2 inch from the edges of the glass. If you are using a jar, you cut one piece to go around the outside of the jar, and one to go inside the jar. Ideally, when you wrap them around the jar, they should just touch each other.

Clean the jar or glass and use the hot glue gun to fasten the screen to the glass sheet or on the jar and let it cool.

Meanwhile, crimp the alligator clips on the ends of the transformer leads. I attempted to solder them, but the alloy used in the leads would not accept solder, so I crimped.

Next, attach one lead to the inside of the jar (or one side of your plate) and the other lead to the outside of the jar (or the other side of your sheet) I just bend a little corner of the screen and clipped it right on. I did this to make it portable and so I could easily change the jar out. The two leads MUST NOT TOUCH, so you can cover them in electrical tape if you like.

That's about it....now set your jar somewhere and plug in the transformer. If you are in a dark room, you are looking for a blue/purple glow coming from the jar....you will immediately smell the ozone (smells like a thunder storm.)

If at any time you see a yellow glow or light coming from the glass, you have a breach (where the spark eats a hole in the glass.) You need to disconnect the power and get a new glass.

You can get fancy and make a housing and use fans and all that fancy shit but If I told you how to do that, it wouldn't be ghetto, now would it?

**********ONE MORE WARNING - OZONE IS NOT VERY HEALTHY FOR HUMANS, PETS, LOVED-ONES AND MOST LIVING BREATHING THINGS IN HIGH DOSES....TYPICALLY IF YOU CAN SMELL IT, IT'S TOO MUCH. DO NOT OVEREXPOSE YOURSELF TO OZONE. DO NOT RUN OZONE IN A HIGH HUMIDITY AREA AS YOU CREATE A CAUSTIC ACID THAT IS VERY CORROSIVE TO METALS. THIS ACID WILL ALSO BURN YOUR LUNGS.......IN OTHER WORDS, DON'T TRY RUNNING THIS THING IN YOUR MARTHA OR HUMID GROW ROOM.**********

--------------------
"The price of meat has just gone up,
and your old lady has just gone down!" ~~ Zappa

Want to be the first on your block to have an ozone generator to kill contaminants?

Click Here for a ghetto ozone generator Tek.

Want to learn more about ozone as a bacteria killer?  Click Here

Edited by Delinquentes (02/20/06 03:23 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Remind Me! Notify Moderator Top
OfflineSnaggletooth
Stranger in a Strange Land
Male User Gallery

Loc: blinks stupidly
Re: Ghetto ozone generator - Plans (A tek, maybe?) [Re: Delinquentes]
    #5319934 - 02/20/06 03:20 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

I think the idea rocks, but I don't have a problem with electronics.

Don't know if I need one but home made electronics are cool, like I have wanted to make a Tesla Coil set up.... :shocked:

:thumbup:

--------------------

Atheist Chat

InvisibleliloldmeFacebook
( ͝° ͜ʖ͡°)つ=D
Other User Gallery

Loc: Zone 8
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Ghetto ozone generator - Plans (A tek, maybe?) [Re: Snaggletooth]
    #5319997 - 02/20/06 03:43 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

I thought you were suppost to put the little jar you just did inside a bigger jar?? I think that would be safer for you...

OfflineDelinquentes
TIMMMAYYYYYYY
Male User Gallery

Re: Ghetto ozone generator - Plans (A tek, maybe?) [Re: liloldme]
    #5320030 - 02/20/06 03:53 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

You can follow that method, but it ads nothing to the effectiveness. I keep mine up high and out of the wa because ozone os heavy and falls to the ground. If you have children, stupid roommates or pets, you can stick the whole thing in a plastic bucket and keep it out of the way.

--------------------

Want to be the first on your block to have an ozone generator to kill contaminants?

InvisibleliloldmeFacebook
( ͝° ͜ʖ͡°)つ=D
Other User Gallery

Loc: Zone 8
Trusted Cultivator
    #5320050 - 02/20/06 03:57 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Yea Im pretty sure that just helps you not shock the shit outta yourself, I like you getto pic though.  :mrt:

InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montana
Trusted Cultivator
    #5320261 - 02/20/06 05:05 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Not bad...

but you can get Simco off Ebay for $30.00 including shipping if you work it right.

they work great!~

:grin:

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

InvisibleRahz
Alive Again
Male

Re: Ghetto ozone generator - Plans (A tek, maybe?) [Re: Roadkill]
    #5320281 - 02/20/06 05:15 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

I've done some reading on ionizers, and though they work well for a clean room or a glove box, they're not ideal for long term whole house use. Ionizers don't kill germs, they just remove them from the air... onto the floor, walls, and celling. I'm not downing ionizers, just seems like two slightly different applications.

Ozone, OTOH, zapps germs. I'd like to build one of these and put it on a timer, and spend the day somewhere else. I'm not sure how much ozone the getto generator makes, but I bet it's a _bit_ more than what home use generators produce. Nuking the house one a month or so seems like a good idea to me.

Rahz

--------------------
rahz

comfort pleasure power love truth awareness peace

“I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather did. Not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."

InvisibleRahz
Alive Again
Male

#5320314 - 02/20/06 05:23 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Sweet tek man!

I'm defenantly gonna make one of these at some point. I've held off on buying because of price and the fact that the ozone generation is limited due to health regulations.

Any idea on how much one of these will pump out?

Rahz

--------------------
rahz

comfort pleasure power love truth awareness peace

“I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather did. Not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."

OfflineDelinquentes
TIMMMAYYYYYYY
Male User Gallery

Re: Ghetto ozone generator - Plans (A tek, maybe?) [Re: Rahz]
    #5320329 - 02/20/06 05:29 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

I don't really have hard data on it, but it will drive you out of a room pretty fast. I could leave a dead fish on my counter and never notice the smell. A timer is wise if you are running it where there are humans. You can 'shock' you house by setting the timer for a couple of hours, setting the generator in front of your furnace intake and let it bloww all through the house. When you come home your house will smell like a fresh spring rain.

You are also correct about ionizers. They simply attache to dust, dirt and mold and have them settle to the ground or attach to walls and curtains. The one I used made more of a mess than anything. They have their place, but as you stated ozone kills bacteria an mold.

--------------------

Offline_Lucid_
journeyman
 User Gallery
Loc: no-mans land
    #5334240 - 02/24/06 09:38 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

just a follow up, a slightly less geto ozone generator: http://www.hempcultivation.com/420/showthread.php?t=13540
lets also note that it transforms O2 to O3, so you still need a source, air obviously has a good amount of oxygen in it, but for those of you talking about using something like this to give your house a good sterilizing, it would be cool if you could get an oxygen generator to work in tandem with the ozone gen. Some sort of chemical reaction, or something, maybe hydrolosis, to feed the ozone generator, that way it will be pumping out the ozone like mad.

--------------------
The believer is happy, the doubter is wise
- Hungarian proverb

OfflineDelinquentes
TIMMMAYYYYYYY
Male User Gallery

Re: Ghetto ozone generator - Plans (A tek, maybe?) [Re: _Lucid_]
    #5360440 - 03/03/06 03:51 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

The link is for a members only site.

You do not need a further oxygen source for this to work. Ozone begins life as O2 and ends life as O2. The more O3 you create the more O2 you will have. There is plenty of O2 in normal air for this to work. It's natures way of killing bacteria and cleansing the air.

On a side note. O2 is just as as toxic as O3 in high concentrations. Ask any diver you know.

I can guarantee you that this thing works. and for about 20 dollars total cost, it's well worth it.

--------------------

OfflineJaicen
Psychedelic Monk
 User Gallery
Re: Ghetto ozone generator - Plans (A tek, maybe?) [Re: Delinquentes] * 1
    #5360670 - 03/03/06 07:05 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

That's not strictly true, O3 is far more reactive than O2. Ozone will react with your lungs, your skin, your eyes.. Free radicals are pretty dangerous.
If anyone's ever had the displeasure of sitting next to a working laser printer, they'll know how irritating even small amounts can be.
I'm sure I remember a raft of these type of threads a while back (maybe on overgrow) which had to be banned because people were seriously injuring themselves and burning down their houses. Just a thought.

Oh and snaggletooth, you got a deathwish you mad bastard! :wink:

Offlinethe_owl
in the sky
Male

Re: Ghetto ozone generator - Plans (A tek, maybe?) [Re: Jaicen]
    #5856518 - 07/14/06 01:37 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Hold on a sec, I am sorry for bringing this up, but this thread got hold of my interest.

So this setup creates high concentrations of O2? If so, is it possible to have some sort of electrical device in the house ignite the O2?

-fucking owl bringing up posts from the dead

--------------------
I am, but an owl, in the sky.

Offlinejohnuk
Strangerlove
Re: Ghetto ozone generator - Plans (A tek, maybe?) [Re: the_owl]
    #5856668 - 07/14/06 02:40 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

If you mean, will the O2 create a fire hazard, then no, it shouldn't. There won't be anymore O2 after running in through the generator compared to without. You'd only have problems if you were to run it from something like a tank of O2 to increase the concentration of O3.

You could concentrate the O3 and bag it up by injecting the generator with high purity O2 from a tank or you can get high levels of O2 from the air using a zeolite filter. They give them to people who need to breath enriched air, you can get 90%+ purity from them I think. They don't generate O2, they just separate it from the air. The zeolite has compressed air blown onto it - the nitrogen is absorbed and the O2 goes through. After a while the zeolite 'clogs' and needs to be regenerated by removing the pressurised air or, for a more rapid and deeper regeneration, exposing it to a slight vacuum. In the mean time, as the zeolite is regenerated, a second cell takes over O2 generation - they alternate between each of the two cells for continuous operation.

O2 isn't anywhere near as dangerous as O3 at normal room pressure. It only becomes a problem for divers because they're breathing it at high pressure (high volume isn't a problem), which causes the way it behaves in their blood to change - it becomes toxic to the nervous system.

Makes me wonder how safe O3 is in the long term. It's obviously not going to give you any immediate problems if you let it disperse a little before going back to your house, but the very way by which is functions involves free radicals - and you're breathing them in. Free radicals are one of the main reasons humans get old. Inside your mitrochondria, glucose gets broken down and the energy used to phosphorylate ADP to ATP (cellular fuel). During this process, free radicals are occasionally ejected and begin roaming around inside the cell. When they bump into things like the cell's membrane, they ruin it bit by bit until the cell accumulates enough damage that it fails altogether.

Airborne O3 will have a harder time getting free radicals deep into your cells since it's coming from the outside in, rather than from the inside out. But it still makes me a bit nervous.

I'd still like to try one at some point because I'm quite allergic to pollen, spores and dust it would seem, so air quality is something I notice a lot.

Oh yeah, and since I mentioned cellular fuel, here are some cool facts for the day I just worked out...

1.) Your body uses ~1000 AA batteries a day
2.) You generate about ~100W (a lightbulb's worth) of power continuously given that energy use; it's more dynamic than that in reality of course

Edited by johnuk (07/14/06 03:00 AM)

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Dark side of the moon
Re: Ghetto ozone generator - Plans (A tek, maybe?) [Re: johnuk]
    #5856733 - 07/14/06 03:21 AM (15 years, 3 months ago)

> On a side note. O2 is just as as toxic as O3 in high concentrations. Ask any diver you know.

1. O2 is not dangerous at any concentration.

2. Building this thing is dangerous.

3. Breathing ozone is dangerous.

4. If you had any knowledge of chemistry you would stay far away from ozone.

5. This has NOTHING to do with cultivation.

-FF

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Ghetto ozone generator - Plans (A tek, maybe?) [Re: fastfred]
    #5858630 - 07/14/06 06:45 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

fastfred said:
2. Building this thing is dangerous.
3. Breathing ozone is dangerous.

those would be my biggest concerns regarding this device

Quote:

4. If you had any knowledge of chemistry you would stay far away from ozone.

but hw would we fill in the hole in the ozone layer, I tried spackle but it didnt work :smirk:

OfflineDelinquentes
TIMMMAYYYYYYY
Male User Gallery

Re: Ghetto ozone generator - Plans (A tek, maybe?) [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #19234557 - 12/06/13 01:43 AM (7 years, 10 months ago)

I think it relevant.  Always have.  It's still the first hit on Google.

I'm back, ninjas.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles