Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineday_tripper
Gatherer
 User Gallery

Loc: Pacific Coast
cactus alcohol extraction alternatives
    #5318570 - 02/20/06 02:06 AM (18 years, 1 month ago)

So i live in washington and i cant buy grain alcohol/190 proof anywhere in the state.

I heard bacardi 151 works, anyone have experience with that? Or any other alcohols when 190proof wasn't available?

What about isopropyl? Is it too risky?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineKonnrade
↑↑↓↓<--><-->BA
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: LA Suburbs
Re: cactus alcohol extraction alternatives [Re: day_tripper]
    #5318589 - 02/20/06 02:42 AM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Well you definitely have access to the chemicals you'd need to do an acid/base extraction. Would you be willing to do that?

Ekstaza has a bloody brilliant tek that seems to be the mescaline extraction bible of the shroomery

--------------------

I find your lack of faith disturbing

Offlineday_tripper
Gatherer
 User Gallery

Loc: Pacific Coast
Re: cactus alcohol extraction alternatives [Re: Konnrade]
    #5318659 - 02/20/06 04:02 AM (18 years, 1 month ago)

i'd rather not have to take that extra step right now if it wasnt required. i want to try it but not quite yet... is there no other option?

OfflineCyano
Stranger
Re: cactus alcohol extraction alternatives [Re: day_tripper]
    #5319558 - 02/20/06 11:18 AM (18 years, 1 month ago)

You can use the isopropyl alcohol as well. I always do alcohol extractions. I let the cactus powder soak in the alc for 3 weeks at least. Then I filter the alc out with a coffee filter and let it evaporate nearly completely.(90%) The alcohol is deep green by then. Then I add acidic water to the remainig alcohol. (use white vinegar,don?t use too much water. The water has to evaporate later. Much water needs a long time to evaporate. I let it evaporate on the heating. At may be 60 degree Celsius. But it should be liquid enough for easy filtration through a coffee filter)) Then I put the mixture on the heating and wait until I smell no more alcohol in the water. Now I put the water in the freezer for at least 24 hours. This makes the chlorophyl, the stuff that made the alcohol deep green and ended up in the water when the alcohol evaporated, clump together. Now I filter the water again with a coffee filter. The chlorophyl remains in the filter and the water now has a brownish colour. (chlorophyl is soluble in alc, but not in water) After that I let evaporate the water.
A picture of the water. It had already evaporated for 50%. The stuff on the bottom are alkaloids.
http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/9497/00002053np.jpg

I always use denatured alcohol. I think it is, like isopropyl alcohol, poisonous. May be less poisonous as isopropyl. When evaporating the isopropyl, it may be a good idea to ventilate the fumes out of the room.
The purer the alcohol, one uses, is, the purer the end product. The alcohol I use is 96%. The brownish colour, looks reddish in the picture, is from stuff that dissolved in the 4% of water in the alc. The more water, the more of this unwanted stuff.

OfflineSchwip
Never sleeps.
 User Gallery

Re: cactus alcohol extraction alternatives [Re: Cyano]
    #5319645 - 02/20/06 11:44 AM (18 years, 1 month ago)

wow thats quite impressive for just alcohol and water extract :smile:

kudos to you...... :thumbup:

--------------------
--------------------------------

" If the sky were to suddenly open up there would be no law. There would be no rule. There would only be you and your memories... the choices you've made, and the people you've touched. If this world were to end there would only be you and him and no-one else. "

"MAN! You know there aint no such thing as left over crack!"

OfflineKonnrade
↑↑↓↓<--><-->BA
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: LA Suburbs
    #5319732 - 02/20/06 12:13 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Yes, denatured alcohol is poisonous. In fact, it's called "denatured" because the manufacturer has added adulterants to it to make it toxic if consumed. For some reason or another they do not want people getting shitfaced by drinking their solvents. Although occasionally some idiot will try to do so anyways.

--------------------

I find your lack of faith disturbing

OfflineCyano
Stranger
Re: cactus alcohol extraction alternatives [Re: Konnrade]
    #5319873 - 02/20/06 12:59 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

One should definetely not drink it. But by the time the water is evaporated it is gone. I had no side effects so far by ingesting the dry residue.
By the way, the picture was taken in summer when my heating was not on. I evaporated the water at room temperature (25-30 degrees Celsius). The water was colder and could not hold all the alkaloids. On the heating this does not happen. In about 60 degrees Celsius warm water the alkaloids stay dissolved in the water.

OfflineSchwip
Never sleeps.
 User Gallery

#5319893 - 02/20/06 01:05 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

denatured alcohol is usually 90%or so ethanol and the rest(the denatured part) methanol

--------------------
--------------------------------

" If the sky were to suddenly open up there would be no law. There would be no rule. There would only be you and your memories... the choices you've made, and the people you've touched. If this world were to end there would only be you and him and no-one else. "

"MAN! You know there aint no such thing as left over crack!"

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale