Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblejmg5
deadicated
Male

Loc: miles above you
actual risk of eating shrooms from a contaminated substrate
    #5313474 - 02/18/06 02:02 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

I did use the search feature but found that no real answer is ever given to this question.  Several people say not to do it, it'll make you sick, and some say there is no risk whatsoever, as long as there is no actual mold on the mushroom.

As far as I know, I don't have any contaminants in my casings, but if there was green mold in a mushroom substrate, and one ingested the shrooms that came from it, are there any health risks?

I'd hate to get sick from eating some shrooms that came from a contaminated substrate, but would feel even worse if a friend got sick from them.

Any REAL input is appreciated :smile:

Thanks,
jim

:blazed:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinekmIL
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: actual risk of eating shrooms from a contaminated substrate [Re: jmg5]
    #5313568 - 02/18/06 02:42 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

The consensus around here is that it is better to toss it than to risk eating anything that might harm you. "Green mold" can mean a variety of different things. Some may be harmless while others toxic. I wouldn't risk it unless you can identify the contam with 100% certainty and know it isn't harmful.

OfflineRemainRandom50
Do You Need ToKnow Me?
Re: actual risk of eating shrooms from a contaminated substrate [Re: kmIL]
    #5315914 - 02/19/06 09:25 AM (18 years, 1 month ago)

^^^ true that. if its HARCCORE ass green in there, dont risk it.

--------------------
At times I get consumed by my everyday life and will leave the Shroomery. Yet, every time drugs come falling into my life for fun.....I always think about the Shroomery and then I'm back!

OfflineHongKongPhooey
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: actual risk of eating shrooms from a contaminated substrate [Re: RemainRandom50]
    #5324764 - 02/21/06 04:51 PM (18 years, 30 days ago)

test it on another animal.. hello feeder rat or that neighbors dog that barks at 2am

OfflinemrTtheH
Micro Bio

Loc: C A N A D A
Re: actual risk of eating shrooms from a contaminated substrate [Re: HongKongPhooey]
    #5326619 - 02/22/06 12:04 AM (18 years, 29 days ago)

Quote:

HongKongPhooey said:
test it on another animal.. hello feeder rat or that neighbors dog that barks at 2am

:grin: shame on you

--------------------
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
Aristotle (384 BC - 322 BC)

"Human beings, the potentially highest form of life expression on this planet have built the vast pharmaceutical industry for the central purpose of poisoning the lowest form of life on the planet--germs!"--Dr. Richard Murray

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: actual risk of eating shrooms from a contaminated substrate [Re: mrTtheH]
    #5333118 - 02/23/06 09:14 PM (18 years, 28 days ago)

It's just another myth. Green molds such as trichoderma are a fact of life in the commercial mushroom industry, just as with homegrowers. If you've ever bought mushrooms at the grocery store, chances are you've eaten mushrooms from a casing with green molds.

Those people with a penicillin allergy should learn to recognize that mold. It's very distinct from trichoderma.

Certain types of aspergillis and cladosporium will produce toxic compounds on feed corn that has been in storage for a long period of time. Cattle and dogs have been killed by this mold, and humans can be sickened by eating tortillas that were made with the contaminated corn. However, these toxins take a year or more to develop, therefore they are not a contaminant of mushroom cultivation with our very short growth cycles. Any corn or other grain we use is properly sterilized before use.

The short answer is the green molds will spread and the spores will stick to your walls, clothes, hands, etc., so I recommend tossing any substrate with green out as soon as you find it. This will help to prevent losing future projects when those spores find your next substrate. Any fruits that are growing on the infected substrate are safe to eat though. Period. Make sure the fruits are fresh and not rotten. If they are rotten, bacteria has started growing and you can get a nasty case of food poisoning from them.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
Re: actual risk of eating shrooms from a contaminated substrate [Re: jmg5]
    #5334433 - 02/24/06 09:49 AM (18 years, 27 days ago)

RogerRabbit gave you a good explanation. Regarding why we recommend most people not to eat mushrooms from a contaminated substrate, is due to the fact that most people cannot properly identify some contaminants. Even with a good macroscopic evaluation after watching a pic, a microscopical analysis will also be of great importance to know what you're dealing with.

Mycotoxins play a great deal on why eating contaminated mushrooms might be negative to your health. Most known species of contaminants producing mycotoxins are aspergillus, fusarium, penicillium, stachybotrys and myrothecium. Some mycotoxins are carcinogenic, some are vasoactive, and some cause central nervous system damage. Often, a single mycotoxin can cause more than one type of toxic effect.

So, be careful, and if you're consuming contaminated mushrooms, be sure to know what they really are. As precaution, we always recommend newbies and most people, to consume "clean" mushrooms.

MAIA

--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Bulk Substrate