Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinejalfonso
journeyman

moisture too much or too little
    #530991 - 01/25/02 12:15 PM (22 years, 2 months ago)

i am using a kit by the spore keeper.... my kit uses soil then mycelium and then vermuculite. 3 layers inside the tubs. it uses a water incubator to regulate the temp between 72-79 degrees. i want to make sure that the temperture was fine at that and also how damp does the soil have to be? i was told to spray the inner walls of the chamber not the vercumlite. why is this? what happens if the soil is too wet or to dry?

please help me out i am new at this and open for many suggestions!!!

--------------------
~~ Jeff ~~
=o

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineShroomZilla007
Stranger
Re: moisture too much or too little [Re: jalfonso]
    #531092 - 01/25/02 02:23 PM (22 years, 2 months ago)

Wow...

Basic questions man... You really need to study up...
Just cause you bought a kit don't mean you can skip Mushie study hall.

In Brief,

Temp, get a temp guage.
Soil/verm, You should BARELY be able to squeeze water from it. Better a lil to dry than to wet. TO wet, Contams find an easier foothold, to dry, not enough water available for your mushies to be all they can be.

Have no idea what your " kit " is about, and don't care to much.
Get the pf tek, follow it to the letter, you will have a successful
first harvest.

Anonymous

Re: moisture too much or too little [Re: jalfonso]
    #531186 - 01/25/02 04:14 PM (22 years, 2 months ago)

Vermiculite should be the bottom layer, mycelium the middle and soil the top.

The vermiculite at the bottom acts as a reservoir at the bottom to store any overwatering water. It works both ways, will draw excess water from the substrate, will also feed water to the substrate.

The middle layer is your colonized substrate.

The top layer is your casing soil. It provides moisture, and lots of surface area for pins to develope and mature into mushrooms. It also protects the substrate layer.

Sounds like your kit has it backwards. You run a higher risk of contamination with soil on the bottom.

Anonymous

Re: moisture too much or too little [Re: ]
    #531206 - 01/25/02 04:39 PM (22 years, 2 months ago)

You can and should mist your casing directly. If proper air exchange is given, and the casing soil is NOT SATURATED already, misting is a good idea. Misting is bad only when your casing is Saturated, and air exchange is poor. The developing shrooms should never remain wet all the time. If you prepare your casing soil properly, you should only really have to mist maybe once or twice before buttons are developed, and then only as the Mushroom developement neccessitates.

Humidity should never be 100 % with casings, and never drop below 80%.
85-90% for mushroom developement
95-99% for pin initiation.

The temperature requirements also correspond to the size of the substarte layer. Bulk teks are high volume and generate alot of heat. This heat has to be dealt with. Hence the 70-78 degrees. Small casings have no problem pinning, developing, and maturing at a constant ambient temperature in the 80's.
Air exchange can be as little as once a day manual fanning with a paper plate, or as involved as air pumps. I just fan with a plate as needed. Once a day to initiate pinning, and twice a day to develope mushrooms. The thicker your substrate is the more fanning you will have to do.

I prefer getting excellent results almost everytime from small casings, then below average to good results from large casings some of the time.

The real success with these begginer bulk kits is using the right Spore Race(Strain). Some strains require minimal air exchange for proper developement.

I shoot for yields of 10+ grams dry per cup of substrate over the course of the casings life, with cubensis.

Offlinefresh357
addict

Re: moisture too much or too little [Re: ]
    #531603 - 01/26/02 12:49 AM (22 years, 2 months ago)

shroom zilla..there are many basic questions like this on the shroomery, but its quite understandable when you see the number of registered users. Be prepared for questions like: "whats the difference between a spore syringe and a spore print"
Also the reason I have the PF tek link at the bottom of my posts.

Edited by fresh357 (01/26/02 12:55 AM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds