Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineGliders
Oh, hello!

How long will I yearn for cigarettes?
    #5298636 - 02/14/06 10:29 AM (18 years, 1 month ago)

So, yesterday was my 5-month anniversary of quitting smoking. Now, the fact that I know exactly when those anniversary dates roll around should tell you something.

Quitting wasn't that hard. Staying quit is. I still feel as though something very important is missing from my life. I still yearn for that feeling in my lungs. It comes and goes, but when it comes on, it's stronger than it was when I first quit.

Has anyone else on this forum quit smoking for an extended period of time, and if so, how long did it take for you to truly feel like a non-smoker instead of a one-day-at-a-time addict?

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineStandsAlone
Stranger
Loc: Arcata, California
Re: How long will I yearn for cigarettes? [Re: Gliders]
    #5298734 - 02/14/06 10:54 AM (18 years, 1 month ago)

"Before my very eyes, bad advice disappears like magic! It's that easy, Steve!"

Edited by JacquesCousteau (02/14/06 03:33 PM)

InvisibleChristoph teh goat luvr
Drugstore Cowboy
 User Gallery

Loc: Louisiana Flag
Re: How long will I yearn for cigarettes? [Re: StandsAlone]
    #5298752 - 02/14/06 11:00 AM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

StandsAlone said:
Smoke up dude.

Bad advice. He needs words of encouragement to help him through this. He has already made the decision to quit, and you should support him. :mad:

I myself have never been addicted to cigarettes. So I can't give you any first hand experience. My sister is a nurse and she quit about 2 years ago. She says the urge never completely goes away. Although it gets a little better with time, and you tend to forget about it more.

You could try smoking different herbs or maybe all natural tobacco for when you REALLY have that urge. It's not the same, but it does help.

Good luck and good vibes your way! :smile:

Offlineleery11
I Tell You What!

Re: How long will I yearn for cigarettes? [Re: Christoph teh goat luvr]
    #5298773 - 02/14/06 11:09 AM (18 years, 1 month ago)

can you not smoke/vaporize weed?

find something that lets you relax and gets you high and do it everytime you want to smoke, maybe a meditation or something.

--------------------
I am the MacDaddy of Heimlich County, I play it Straight Up Yo!

....I embrace my desire to feel the rhythm, to feel connected enough to step aside and weep like a widow, to feel inspired, to fathom the power, to witness the beauty, to bathe in the fountain, to swing on the spiral of our divinity and still be a human......
Om Namah Shivaya, I tell you What!

OfflineGliders
Oh, hello!

Re: How long will I yearn for cigarettes? [Re: leery11]
    #5298978 - 02/14/06 12:03 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Thanks to everyone who's posted so far. Well, ALMOST everyone, hee-hee. I have in fact tried smoking other herbal things, especially since some things (hops, etc) act as night-time sedatives as well. What I haven't done is rolled these things up as a cigarette. That might work.

As for smoking/ vaporizing weed, I'm not a weed fan. I have, however, considered getting some nicotine gum to help those occasional cravings. That would keep me tied to nicotine, but it's only the hazards of smoking I want to avoid.

--------------------

Drugstore Cowboy
 User Gallery

#5299161 - 02/14/06 01:10 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah, ask your local headshop about good smoking herbs that you could roll. I know clover and certain sages are good...

I wouldn't go for nicotine gum though. You could try it, but I haven't heard anything good of it. I think people miss the actual action of smoking itself then the actual nicotine. Just lighting up a cig triggers this relaxation.

Maybe keep a little pouch of drum and some rolling paper around. Those are MUCH healthier for you, as long as you only use them when your really having a rough time.

InvisibleAliceDee
-L S D-
Male
Re: How long will I yearn for cigarettes? [Re: StandsAlone]
    #5299191 - 02/14/06 01:16 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

StandsAlone said:
Yep, by quitting smoking you have thrown away a part of yourself and you will always feel lonely. Smoke up dude.

lol comming from a guy named stands ALONE... haha

anyways, being an addict, you will always have an urge, just repeat all the reasons in your mind why you quit in the first place, for your health, you dont smell like shit to girls, you never have to be "that guy" who has to go have a ciggarette, save SHITLOADS of money, etc etc

InvisibleHolydiver
Stranger
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The midnight sea
    #5299197 - 02/14/06 01:18 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

5 months is still early yet. The habit is burned into your physiology almost for good though, and I'm not sure it ever completely diminishes. How long you smoked is a big factor too. A 3 year smoker has a much easier time getting over it than say a 20 year smoker.

I recently quit for 2 years straight, then started dating this girl who smoked and basically picked it back up again. Idiot, and here I am again under the lovely curse of nicotine. Those two years were nice though, I never really thought about cigarettes and felt great--until starting back up, that is.

--------------------
To find a place to live between the negatives and positives.

InvisibleAliceDee
-L S D-
Male
Re: How long will I yearn for cigarettes? [Re: AliceDee]
    #5299204 - 02/14/06 01:19 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

also i advise you to not have ANYTHING with nicotine in it, INCLUDING GUM... that will get you right back into smoking because you remember what that buzz is like and you will want more...

Offlinemrsautoman
Don't DriveAngry
Female User Gallery

Loc: Dirty South
    #5299618 - 02/14/06 03:30 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

AliceDee said:
also i advise you to not have ANYTHING with nicotine in it, INCLUDING GUM... that will get you right back into smoking because you remember what that buzz is like and you will want more...

:thumbup: I second this advice.

The long-term muscle memory of smoking is hard enough to wait out. Adding a psychically addictive chemical to this may not be the best idea.

I'm coming up for a quit soon, and this time I'm gonna try to do it clean. I wish I was five months down the road like you. That's an awesome start.

I can't wait to have that 'clean mouth feel' you can have when you're a non-smoker instead of that film of smoke that coats the inside of your mouth all day.

--------------------

~I was born of a voice untimely,
the so-called echo of a man's ordure~

OfflineGliders
Oh, hello!

#5299647 - 02/14/06 03:37 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Yes, you're probably right about the gum. It doesn't take much for nicotine to insinuate itself back into your life, that's for sure! I have plenty of herbs around to smoke, like wild dagga, blue lotus, etc. I guess what I need to do is get some rolling papers and try smoking them like that, because using a small waterpipe just doesn't mimic the smoking action.

--------------------

Drugstore Cowboy
 User Gallery

#5299762 - 02/14/06 04:04 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah, it's nice to just kick back and have a rolled cig of some healthy herbs at the end of the day. I find it very relaxing. :cool:

It won't be the same, by I assume it will help.

Offlinelysergicide
Aurora Borealis
Male

Loc: 41.8861° N, 12.4851° E
    #5300542 - 02/14/06 08:00 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

keep strong! in the end, it may be one of the best decisions you ever made in your entire life.

Offlinemikeownow
Humungus fungus

Loc: WA,USA
Re: How long will I yearn for cigarettes? [Re: lysergicide]
    #5300639 - 02/14/06 08:21 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Step1 Stop keeping track of the anniversaries. Step 2 nothing, bam the best advice I gots

--------------------
No statements made in any post or message by myself should be construed to mean that I am now, or have ever been, participating in or considering participation in any activities in violation of any local, state, or federal laws. All posts are works of fiction.

InvisibleNeon
Stranger
Male
    #5300964 - 02/14/06 09:30 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

I was a smoker for three or four years. About six months after quitting I didn't crave them at all anymore. Cigarettes just look like poison sticks to me now. The urge to smoke cigarettes is completely gone for me, and has been for a long time.

OfflineSpenny
S M I L 3
Re: How long will I yearn for cigarettes? [Re: Neon]
    #5301092 - 02/14/06 10:00 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

If I ever wanted to quit I'd just need a lot of dope. I hate smoking when I'm really baked for some reason.

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: How long will I yearn for cigarettes? [Re: mikeownow]
    #5302213 - 02/15/06 05:53 AM (18 years, 1 month ago)

> Step1 Stop keeping track of the anniversaries.

I donno about that... I see your point... kind of a "let it go" sort of thing... but at the same time, the use of anniveraries can be a fairly strong positive reinforcement. Every day, every month, every year that somebody does not give in to the temptation to smoke nicotine is a victory of sorts. Remembering how hard it was to achieve the "one year smoke free milestone" can really help when you are thinking about bumming a smoke from some chick in a bar.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Offlinekotik
fuckingsuperhero
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Re: How long will I yearn for cigarettes? [Re: Seuss]
    #5302365 - 02/15/06 08:14 AM (18 years, 1 month ago)

i was under the impression that smoking anything (by smoking i mean burning something and inhaling the smoke) was unhealthy. Replacing tobacco with "healthy herbs" is not a good alternative. A better one, maybe.. but that doesnt make it a good one.

unfortunately, cant give much good advice myself, only point out bad advice. I quit smoking for 2 years, smoked a single cigarette and threw up. The very next day I was at a pack a day again until I quit again in boot camp and tech. training (that was another year).. then started again.

my current technique is to not buy cigs, only bum them. that way i am either limited to smoking in social situations, and it limits how many I smoke (mostly because my friends start to get more and more pissy about it as I keep bumming).

--------------------
No statements made in any post or message by myself should be construed to mean that I am now, or have ever been, participating in or considering participation in any activities in violation of any local, state, or federal laws. All posts are works of fiction.

Drugstore Cowboy
 User Gallery

Re: How long will I yearn for cigarettes? [Re: kotik]
    #5302368 - 02/15/06 08:22 AM (18 years, 1 month ago)

I think that smoking a rolled cig of herbs at times when you are REALLY craving a cigarette is nearly harmless. As long as it doesn't exceed once a day it shouldn't be a problem.
Maybe I'm wrong, maybe that would just make him want a cig even more. :undecided:

Offlinekotik
fuckingsuperhero
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
    #5302389 - 02/15/06 08:36 AM (18 years, 1 month ago)

yes but that is almost like saying snorting flour is nearly harmless for you if you are trying to quit cocaine. in contrast it bears some truth, but as an isolated statement it does not make much sense.

the whole point of quitting smoking (at least in my eyes) is to regain your health, especially your lungs, throat and mouth. While nicotine is borderline poison, it is not the sole evil of cigarettes.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale