Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblecarbonhoots
old hand

Loc: BC Canada
where is the water s'posed to come from?
    #528683 - 01/22/02 10:34 PM (22 years, 2 months ago)

There's a lot of advise here about refraining from spraying casings unless they look "really dry"

What I can't figure out is where the mushroom's can find enough water to fruit abundantly, if you don't spray em.

I mean, my last casing gave me about 2 oz dry, so 560 grams wet. If water is 90% of the weight, then they sucked up over 2 cups of water.

I sprayed them every day.

Is the prob with spaying increased risk of contam? If so, would spaying be good in a sterile enviro?

--------------------
  -I'd rather have a frontal lobotomy than a bottle in front of me

CANADIAN CENTER FOR POLICY ALTERNATIVES

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Anonymous

Re: where is the water s'posed to come from? [Re: carbonhoots]
    #528751 - 01/22/02 11:53 PM (22 years, 2 months ago)

You don't need to spray the casings directly, this can harm the mycellium. Just spray the sides of your terrarium. This will keep the humidity in the air high. The mycellium and shrooms are almost like little sponges, they will absorb the moisture right out of the air.

Anonymous

Re: where is the water s'posed to come from? [Re: carbonhoots]
    #528769 - 01/23/02 12:29 AM (22 years, 2 months ago)

I spray the casings directly and the sides of the box. The object is to sufficiently wet the casing layer prior to pin formation, stop, let the pins become small mushrooms and then continue. You have to have sufficient air exchange so the mushrooms do not remain WET all the time. You want them to suck up moisture from the casing, and have moisture be sucked out of them by the air at the same time, all the time. This is the Gradient that is expanding them. From High moisture to lower moisture. The air should never drop below 80% humidity for extended periods of time. The mushrooms themselves can get wet from misting, but they should not remain wet. If it takes more then a few hours for them to dry up, IT IS A BAD IDEA to Wet them. Wetting the mushroom can actually slow down their expansion. The casing and the substrate itself is giving them the moisture, the air is taking it away. Anything above 95% humidity in the AIR is BAD for Maturation.
Misting is most efficient prior to pin set, and after button developement, but once the button is formed over wetting is a possibility.

Your results speak for themselves, you have a natural ability to eyeball your casings water needs. Contamination is a problem when it is PRESENT, and when the environment becomes SATURATED. If you have pools of water on your casing, and your shrooms are constantly wet, YOU HAVE A PROBLEM. If your shrooms surface is not soaked all the time, your casing is JUST RIGHT, and the majority of your buttons are developing, MIST AWAY. I would say you have a strong sense of what the mushrooms need.

Yes misting directly when the environment is already at 95+% humidity, and your shrooms are soaked, can lead to bad things.

Uncased Cakes walk a thinner line. The air has to remain in the 90+% range to keep the cakes from drying out. Casings can fruit in a broader range of Humidity, and actually benefit from the larger gradient.

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Re: where is the water s'posed to come from? [Re: ]
    #528842 - 01/23/02 02:58 AM (22 years, 2 months ago)

Good post Teonan.
I spray my casing too and I don?t jave any problems. And if you want to see what happens if you spray the casing, go to the picture forum and look for Teonan?s and my posts.

I don?t know whan exactly this myth about "don?t spray your casings" emerged, but it seems that it?s deep in the brains of the shroomerites now. Still, it?s a MYTH and it?s WRONG !

So: SPRAY YOUR CASINGS, the casing should remain MOIST all the time, NOT WET, just MOIST.

and: DON`T spray the mushrooms ditectly, avoid it as much as posible, but a few drops won?t harm them as long they have the chance to dry over the course of the next few hours.

A more thorough discussion on when and how much to mist the casing and which humidity levels are optimum in the diferent phases can be found in The Mushroom Cultivator around page 150.

Anonymous

Re: where is the water s'posed to come from? [Re: Anno]
    #529001 - 01/23/02 10:20 AM (22 years, 2 months ago)

The casing shouldn't need to be sprayed. It starts out wet and if the humidity is high enough in a sealed terrarium, it shouldn't dry out in the first place. The air is not going to suck the moisture out of the cake, not unless it's being blown around and in effect, blow-drying the caked.

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Re: where is the water s'posed to come from? [Re: ]
    #529012 - 01/23/02 10:33 AM (22 years, 2 months ago)

The air will dry out the terrarium. The humidity in a terraroum should be 90% after the pins are formed. Furthermore, a controled evaporation is essential for a proper mushroom development!
I strongly suggest you to read The Mushroom Cultivator in case you missed this chapter.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags