Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineDistortedEyes
hello
Male

Loc: uk
electronic engineering degree?
    #5281152 - 02/09/06 09:55 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

I'm thinking of doing an electronic engineering degree but I'm not that sure if i want to or not.
4-5 years seems like such a long time to study something.i don't know if i want to commit myself to something like that , how the hell will i know that I'll still like doing electronics stuff the whole time I'm doing a degree!?

Anyone got an electronics degree?
Does anyone think it is a worthwhile degree to study IE. would i be able to have a decent job with it?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleMezcal
Re: electronic engineering degree? [Re: DistortedEyes]
    #5282489 - 02/09/06 04:32 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

I started off studying electrical and computer engineering... 3 semesters later, I stopped.

OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery
Re: electronic engineering degree? [Re: Mezcal]
    #5282509 - 02/09/06 04:38 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

When entering any engineering degree.... well when entering any degree really, you are only learning the language, not the trade/skill.
Skill only comes from personal experience, and a degree only really helps you take up space on your resume.
An internship or apprenticeship is a quicker and better way to go about something. Sitting around talking and not doing is a lousy way to go about learning anything.
Mistakes make you know, not just learn.

Invisiblebadchad
Mad Scientist

Re: electronic engineering degree? [Re: SneezingPenis]
    #5282666 - 02/09/06 05:25 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

A 4 year degree is worth quite a bit these days. Look at job placement sites, many will only consider those with a degree.

4-5 years seems like a lot, but it's something you'll have the rest of your life and will make any job applicant look more attractive.

--------------------
...the whole experience is (and is as) a profound piece of knowledge.  It is an indellible experience; it is forever known.  I have known myself in a way I doubt I would have ever occurred except as it did.

Smith, P.  Bull. Menninger Clinic (1959) 23:20-27; p. 27.

...most subjects find the experience valuable, some find it frightening, and many say that is it uniquely lovely.

Osmond, H.  Annals, NY Acad Science (1957) 66:418-434; p.436

OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery
Re: electronic engineering degree? [Re: badchad]
    #5282677 - 02/09/06 05:29 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

someone with a 4 year degree will never get a job above someone with 2 years of experience.

Invisiblebadchad
Mad Scientist

#5282680 - 02/09/06 05:31 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Except for the jobs that have in their listing: 4 YEAR DEGREE REQUIRED.

And obviously, it depends on the particular job.

--------------------
...the whole experience is (and is as) a profound piece of knowledge.  It is an indellible experience; it is forever known.  I have known myself in a way I doubt I would have ever occurred except as it did.

Smith, P.  Bull. Menninger Clinic (1959) 23:20-27; p. 27.

...most subjects find the experience valuable, some find it frightening, and many say that is it uniquely lovely.

Osmond, H.  Annals, NY Acad Science (1957) 66:418-434; p.436

OfflineDocPsilocybin
enthusiast

Re: electronic engineering degree? [Re: badchad]
    #5282681 - 02/09/06 05:32 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Man, doing an engineering degree is a good move. During the first year you'll probably get a good feel for what you want to do and it's not too late to switch degrees.

For example I'm going for a Geophysics degree right now but I might switch to just a straight up Physics degree. Go for it!

--------------------
You can't hold a man down without staying down with him.
-- Booker T. Washington

OfflineDocPsilocybin
enthusiast

#5282689 - 02/09/06 05:35 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

psilocyberin said:
someone with a 4 year degree will never get a job above someone with 2 years of experience.

I disagree.

A lot of jobs require degrees. Not getting post-seconday can come back to bite you in the future. But then again to each their own. Some degrees are a waste of time anyway.

--------------------
-- Booker T. Washington

InvisibleDieCommie

#5282702 - 02/09/06 05:39 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

psilocyberin said:
When entering any engineering degree.... well when entering any degree really, you are only learning the language, not the trade/skill.
Skill only comes from personal experience, and a degree only really helps you take up space on your resume.
An internship or apprenticeship is a quicker and better way to go about something. Sitting around talking and not doing is a lousy way to go about learning anything.

Id say that is horrible advice. Frankly you sound like someone who failed at school and is trying to justify it by saying school is useless.

The truth is to learn any subject well you need a variety of methods to assimilate the information. This is why to get a degree you need both lab,research and internships along with lectures, readings and discussion. You will never learn any subject well by focusing only on experience or only on book work, you need both.

InvisibleDieCommie

#5282716 - 02/09/06 05:42 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

psilocyberin said:

:lol:

False.

InvisibleHolydiver
Stranger
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The midnight sea
    #5282730 - 02/09/06 05:48 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Don't underestimate the value of a degree. A solid 4-year degree will get you a foot in the door of some really nice companies, and nevermind the work experience thing. A lot of companies are switching to the method of hire + train, because there is a major value placed on bringing freshly educated, untrained workers into a company. Clean slate if you will--it works very well in most cases. Sorry, the argument of a college degree vs. work experience is not valid, and probably applies in .01% of career fields.

Getting a 4 year degree tells an employer that you have the dedication and discipline to attend loads of classes, and learn tons of information in a short period of time--regardless of whether you retain it or not. This is a big plus, because that's exactly what you have to do in a "real" job.

Anything in engineering is good, I would never suggest a degree in history/english/music/art though. Those degrees are far from competitive and I feel that most take them for the "easy route". If it works for some though, more power to them.

--------------------
To find a place to live between the negatives and positives.

InvisibleNoetical
Flip Horrorshow

#5282740 - 02/09/06 05:51 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Be warned you can in no way do an engeneering degree half assed from any respectable institution. It is hard work.

OfflineDocPsilocybin
enthusiast

Re: electronic engineering degree? [Re: Noetical]
    #5282790 - 02/09/06 06:06 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Amen. Any applied science degree is an intensive undertaking.

--------------------
-- Booker T. Washington

OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery
Re: electronic engineering degree? [Re: Holydiver]
    #5283039 - 02/09/06 07:13 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

ok, I have an engineering degree and I cannot put it on my resume if I want to get a job.
I spent 30k on this school and it only hindered my possible employment.... and it wasnt just my school.... it was any school which I could have gone to to get that degree.
After I graduated with a nice rank in my class, I wasted 3 years making almost no money doing crap work, unable to move onto bigger and better things.... until I started only putting my experience on my resume, and omitting my degree.

Now, I work three 6 hour days a week and make 1500 a month, which is a very laid back lifestyle IMO, and if I need more money, I pick up more show dates.
As an engineer, your knowledge and experience are what define your worth (how much you can charge for your skills/labor/services), not which school you graduated from.

After the three years of flopping around trying to flash my degree credentials, I finally ran into Peter Framptons monitor engineer and got an apprenticeship. I learned more in the first week of working with him, than I did all the years in school.
Not only does experience in your field speak volumes about your work ethic and knowledge, but it also gives you CONTACTS! people who you wouldnt meet in a school.
someone hit me with that figures regarding jobs given/found directly by someone you are friends with or know.

While it does matter from occupation to occupation whether or not you should get a degree or not, there is far too much emphasis to get high school kids to start raking in the debt and go to college.

College isnt hard, it is a breeze, and your possible employer knows this and usually doesnt care where you fingerbanged and kegstand-ed your way through education.

If a degree helps you get a foot in the door, then your guru/teacher helps get you the back 9 with the executive.
All you have to do is work your ass off for those years instead of the "back breaking labor of the 20 hour class load", then you have proven yourself to someone who just has to say to business friend X "hey, this kid is fucking great and has what it takes"... and he says "Have him call me tommorrow".

I know many of you feel that a degree means an accomplishment, but its really just a peice of paper stating that you have gotten your party years behind you.

while 1500 bucks a month isnt much, it is enough to live comfortably, especially with knowing I will be able to charge 800 dollars a day for what I do.

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
    #5283052 - 02/09/06 07:16 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

psilocyberin said:

you cant get the job that pays $90k+ without that resume space filler, the only ones available ar as electronics techs paying $7-16/hr, the degree is important

OfflineTheCow
Stranger

Re: electronic engineering degree? [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #5283077 - 02/09/06 07:23 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

I am in my third year as a computer engineer. Experience is important, but there is a lot you need to first learn in college. Sure anyone can learn electronics, but if your boss comes up to you, and wants you to analyze an analog circuit using Fourier transforms, and then give him the math to show that what he wants will work, you cant just get that through experience. Electrical engineering has a lot of math, more then most people would imagine. Also college is experience,if you go to a decent university, they have cutting edge research going on there, get to know a professor, and you can be a part of new research in your field. They should also have student accessible labs, which will have equipment of all types you can play around with.

OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery
Re: electronic engineering degree? [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #5283082 - 02/09/06 07:24 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

I dont work with computers, but I work with electronics. repairing power amps, speakers, consoles, microphones ect. and as a personal contractor I charge 80$/hr labor cost.

I am living proof that you dont need a degree, because every advancement and opportunity which has come my way is because of me, not a degree.

OfflineTheCow
Stranger

#5283098 - 02/09/06 07:27 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

You repair electronics, thats fine. I plan on getting a doctorate, and inventing new forms of electronics, maybe working for Intel designing next generation processors. Thats the value of a degree, anyone can go learn a simple trade, but researchingand inventing is far different.

OfflineDocPsilocybin
enthusiast

#5283129 - 02/09/06 07:34 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

What I want to know is what sort of degree is this? A four year actual engineering degree or what? I've got some friends who are taking some pretty lame engineering courses. Basically all they took is a glorified pre-apprenticeship.

--------------------
-- Booker T. Washington

OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery
Re: electronic engineering degree? [Re: TheCow]
    #5283152 - 02/09/06 07:40 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

You are acting like you couldnt learn exactly what you are learning in school from an apprenticeship.

It isnt like my boss throws me in the deep end all the time (which is a great way to learn), he gives me books to read, tasks to do, and while we sit and repair shit we talk, and I ask him questions.

Imagine having your professors all to yourself, with all their attention focused on you and your learning.

With the coupling of books about solid-state electronics, real life experience of dealing with it, and conversations about it with a wizard in the field is about the best possible education I can get.

To your professor, you are just another year, another ass in the seat... they throw figures at you, do some overhead projection diagrams, give you a supposedly "real life" task and say goodbye for a few days.

Im only 23 years old right now and I will be making 90k a year before I am 30.... in fact, every person that I work as equals qith is 30+. I have already mixed national acts like Rascal Flatts, the Wooten Brothers, Harry Shearer and tons of other people.

I cant imagine in any way in which 4 years of school would be better education than 4 years of apprenticeship.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom