Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinecokaznrebel
BBQ CHK CHZ STK
Loc: Mile High
Phase I compost, What are its legal uses for mushroom growing? * 1
    #5217743 - 01/24/06 12:54 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Ive hit a prediciment where the guy whom I was going to recieve the compost from wants to know what I need Phase I, pre-pastuerized compost instead of phase II compost.

Does anybody know which mushrooms need phase I compost?
A quick reply would help.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinecokaznrebel
BBQ CHK CHZ STK
Re: Phase I compost, What are its legal uses for mushroom growing? [Re: cokaznrebel]
    #5217765 - 01/24/06 01:01 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Also, I was wondering if the difference between Phase I and Phase II Compost was the pastuerization

Invisibletiny_rabid_birds
Nocturnal
 User Gallery

Loc: estados unidos
Re: Phase I compost, What are its legal uses for mushroom growing? [Re: cokaznrebel]
    #5217799 - 01/24/06 01:12 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

I'm pretty sure any regular mushroom grows well on phase I, so maybe just say you're going to try your hand at some gourmet mushies, or like some oysters or something?

--------------------

InvisibleFooMan
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Earth Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #5217827 - 01/24/06 01:18 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

There are edible mushrooms that will grow on poo, not just actives. I think phase I is what you want. Phase II sounds like it would be more composted and you don't want poo that's too composted, but I don't really know anything about the phases of composting.

--------------------

Quick WBS Prep

Offlinecokaznrebel
BBQ CHK CHZ STK
Re: Phase I compost, What are its legal uses for mushroom growing? [Re: FooMan]
    #5217856 - 01/24/06 01:26 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

I just talked to him, and I dont think its pre-pastuerized, but he said the phase I compost is actually hot/warm when they get it. He said to leave it outside or something or use it hot, im really fucking confused.

Offlinecokaznrebel
BBQ CHK CHZ STK
    #5217948 - 01/24/06 01:52 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Does anybody know why the compost would come hot?

Wouldnt that already pre-pastuerize it?

Invisibletiny_rabid_birds
Nocturnal
 User Gallery

Loc: estados unidos
    #5217970 - 01/24/06 01:59 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

Compost produces it's own heat what w/ all the processes going on inside of it. Coming hot I would suppose just means that it's fresh.

To be pasteurized, it must be at a temp of around 170 for like 2 hours, so I suppose it really depends on how hot the compost is as to whether it's been pre-pasteurized

--------------------

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
    #5217971 - 01/24/06 01:59 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

READ THIS :tongue: :rolleyes:

I.  Guidelines for calculating pre/compost nitrogen (N) content:
Calculate the starting N content of pile to be 1.5 to 1.7% before composting. The starting N for a synthetic compost formulas may be slightly higher than the wheat straw horse manure formulas. The percent N will increase throughout Phase I composting and Phase II and at spawning time the N content of the compost should be 2.1-2.6 %.

Knowing the N and % moisture of the bulk ingredients and supplements will increase the accuracy of the calculated and finished nitrogen content. If supplements are added by volume, occasionally weigh volume added to confirm calculated formula.

At the end of Phase I and again at the end of Phase II, compost may be analyzed for N, ammonia, ash and moisture. It is important to take a representative samples, several small handfuls thoroughly mixed. When taking a sample do not shake the compost.

II. Examples of Mushroom Compost Formulas

Horse manure pile
Ingredients Wet Wt. Dry Wt. %N Tons N
Horse manure 80 T 50 T 1.2% 0.6 T
Poultry manure 7.5 T 6.0 T 4 % 0.24 T
Brewers Grains 2.5 T 2.5 T 4 % 0.1 T
Gypsum 1.25 T 1.25 T 0 0
59.75 T 0.94 ? 59.75 = 1.57%

Synthetic pile
Hay 15 T 12.8 T 2.0 % 0.26 T
Cobs 15 T 12.8 T 0.3 % 0.04 T
Poultry manure 3.8 T 2.4 T 4 % 0.09 T
NH4NO3 0.3 T 0.3 T 32% 0.10 T
Potash 0.3 T 0.3 T 0.0 0.00
Gypsum 0.6 T 0.6 T 0.0 0.00
29.2 T 0.49 ? 29.2 = 1.68%

Horse manure-synthetic blend
Horse manure 15 T 10.5 T 1.2% 0.13
Hay 7.5 T 6.3 T 1.1% 0.07
Corn Cobs 7.5 T 6.4 T 0.3% 0.02
Brewer's grains 3.0 T 3.0 T 4.0% 0.12
Poultry manure 2.0 T 2.0 T 4.5% 0.09
Urea 0.1 T 0.1 T 44.0% 0.06
Potash 0.2 T 0.2 T 0.0% 0.00
Gypsum 1.0 T 1.0 T 0.0% 0.00
29.5 0.49 ? 29.5 = 1.66%

III. Suggested watering procedures during composting:

Add as much water as possible without run off during pre-wet conditioning or during the first two turns. Avoid adding too much water early during Phase I, always be able to control moisture. Add only enough during next turn or turns to wet dry spots. Bring up compost moisture to desired water content by adequate watering just before filling.

During pre-wet it is advisable to flip or turn the compost every day. After the rick or pile is built, the compost should be turn every other day unless pile temperatures have not peaked.

IV. Changes in organic matter, carbohydrates and nitrogen during mushroom composting.

Soluble carbohydrates are simply adsorbed by the micro-organisms and it is converted into new living matter or provides energy for the cells. As these micro-organism grow energy in the form of heat is released.

As the pile heats to temperature above 150o F the activities occurring within the pile change from biological to chemical reactions. It is at these higher temperatures that carmelization takes place. Carmelization is the process where water is eliminated from the carbohydrates and carbon is concentrated. This process can be compared to boiling sap down to make maple sugar.

V. Phase I is considered complete when as soon as the raw ingredients become pliable and are capable of holding water, the odor of ammonia is sharp and the dark brown color indicates carmelization and browning reactions have occurred.

Moisture content at filling should be 70-73%. Water should drip from compost squeezed in the hand. But a good rule of thumb to follow is: the longer, greener or more coarse the compost then more moisture it can take. The shorter, more mature or dense the compost the less water it should have.

The shorter or wetter the compost, the more loosely it should be filled into the beds or trays. The longer or greener the compost, the more it can be firmed into the beds. Attempt to fill uniformly in both depth and compaction. Edges or sideboards should be packed slightly tighter, whereas the center should remain looser.

VI. Phase II composting has two objectives:

Pasteurization - elimination of undesirable insect pest, microbes and pathogens.

Conditioning - Creation of specific food for the mushroom and creating a selective and suppressive compost to favor the growth of the mushroom.

VII. Insure adequate ventilation during Phase II. When in doubt, ventilate. A flame should be burn at all times.

The higher the nitrogen content of compost, the greener the compost or the more dry weight at filling time, the greater the ventilation required. When outside temperature is high as in summer or early fall, more ventilation is required than when Phase II occurs during the cold winter weather. This is especially important when the grower does not have a forced air ventilation system.

VIII. During Phase II keep compost in the temperature range where microorganisms grow best (115-140o F).

Microbes convert ammonia and ammonia containing salts into protein and other nitrogen compounds the mushroom uses for food. The growth of these microbes depends on having the available food, adequate moisture, sufficient oxygen and suitable temperature. A shortage of one of these requirements will limit growth and often results in incomplete conditioning.

IX. Heat up (pasteurization) for insect kill early in Phase II (perhaps 1-4 days after filling) so as to avoid a second heating cycle of the compost.

A good indication that the compost is ready to pasteurized, is the subsiding of microbial activity, which is indicated by a decrease in compost temperature at the same air temperature.

X. After pasteurization slowly lower compost through the temperature ranges of the microorganisms. A general rule is to lower compost temperature no more than 4-5o F. per day.

Provided that enough food, water and oxygen the microbes will continue to grow. Different microbes use different compounds and grow at different temperatures. Therefore it is important to make sure all areas of the beds and room gradually drop through all temperatures ranges.

Thermophillic fungi grow at lower temperatures and are important because they are able to grow into denser areas of compost.

XI. Composting is considered compete when no trace of ammonia odor can be detected and the compost has a uniform flecking of white colonies of actinomycetes, called fire-fang. The N content on a dry wt. basis should be in the range of 2.0 to 2.6.

--------------------

InvisibleFooMan
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Earth Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Phase I compost, What are its legal uses for mushroom growing? [Re: agar]
    #5218061 - 01/24/06 02:39 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

So phase II is what he wants, huh?

--------------------

Quick WBS Prep

Offlinecokaznrebel
BBQ CHK CHZ STK
Re: Phase I compost, What are its legal uses for mushroom growing? [Re: FooMan]
    #5218123 - 01/24/06 03:01 PM (18 years, 1 month ago)

I was thinking the same thing, although many people here have assured me its phase I that i want. I was told to just slowly pasteurize the phase I substrate, but wouldnt that just make it phase II

OfflineChrissss
poke smoter
Composting [Re: agar]
    #5353710 - 03/01/06 02:10 PM (18 years, 22 days ago)

Hey,
I loved your drum composting tec, but i do not have limited space and am wondering what a good recipe for just a reg compost would be. I have TONS of hpoo and straw. I searched post but couldn't find an all around good outdoor compost recipe. If you could help that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks man. Chris

--------------------
http://www.laserspectacular.com/index.htm This is a laser show with pink floyd music. If it comes near you GO! it is amazing

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Composting [Re: Chrissss]
    #5354221 - 03/01/06 05:04 PM (18 years, 22 days ago)

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/5217971#Post5217971

It's in this same thread.

Don't hit the BONG, so hard. :wink: :tongue: :grin:

--------------------

InvisibleMrMaddHatter
Dementia praecox
 User Gallery

Loc: Everywhere
Re: Composting [Re: agar]
    #5354511 - 03/01/06 06:49 PM (18 years, 22 days ago)

Quote:

agar said:
Don't hit the BONG, so hard. :wink: :tongue: :grin:

But it feels......so good......when I do......:grin:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck