Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineBuddha
enthusiast
Loc: Toronto
Contaminated Syringes Question
    #521489 - 01/15/02 05:30 PM (22 years, 2 months ago)

I got some syringes from PF TEK in the summer. The B+ were contaminated, every ricecake I innoculated grew dark orange and black mold. The PF syringes I got from them seemed fine. The first time I used half of one, virtually no contams. Then a week later I used the other half, everything seemed fine for a while,but 2 out of 12 were contaminated in my first batch, and 5 out of my 12 jars were contaminated in my second batch with the same mold as the B+. And the mold starts appearing where the syringes were injected, so I know the the syring is the source of the contamination. Or there could be some contams getting in on the outside of the needle when I innoculate. I was just wondering if spore syringes went bad over time, or maybe the contams are isolated inside the syringe, so only some are contaminated (but all my B+ were contaminated) . I just want to know what the hell is going on.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montana
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Contaminated Syringes Question [Re: Buddha]
    #522020 - 01/16/02 03:27 AM (22 years, 2 months ago)

Did you clean the needle?
By flaming it.....then swabing it with alcohol?
Sounds like a self inflicted contam problem to me.

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

OfflineBuddha
enthusiast
Re: Contaminated Syringes Question [Re: Roadkill]
    #522158 - 01/16/02 08:15 AM (22 years, 2 months ago)

I wiped it with Hydrogen peroxide. But its the same contam that grew in EVERY single one of my B+ jars. If it was a contam in the air, why was it the same as the contam in the B+ jars, and why is it the ONLY contam I have? Wouldn't there be other types of contams if it was caused by failing to clean the needle?

I'm going to do 20 more jars tomorrow or the next day, so I'll flame the needle and see how things go.

InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

Loc: orbit
    #523213 - 01/17/02 06:06 AM (22 years, 2 months ago)

I use the rule that if its not a common contaminant like the green, like that orange shit - its the syringe or its contents.

--------------------

OfflineBuddha
enthusiast
Re: Contaminated Syringes Question [Re: Zen Peddler]
    #523380 - 01/17/02 09:27 AM (22 years, 2 months ago)

can a contaminant start off small in a needle, and over a long period of time spread throughout the needle.

The first time I innoculated 12 jars with the PF strain, None were contaminated. A month later using the same needle for the next 12, two were contaminated, and agian the same needle a week later, 5 of 12 were contaminated.

This is what I dont understand. Why are only some getting contaminated? Maybe there's just a few tiny spores of the contaminant that are slowly multiplying over time. Is this possible?

InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

Loc: orbit
    #524119 - 01/18/02 01:40 AM (22 years, 2 months ago)

generally if the syringe had any strong nasties you'd lose the lot

--------------------

OfflineBuddha
enthusiast
Re: Contaminated Syringes Question [Re: Zen Peddler]
    #524279 - 01/18/02 08:24 AM (22 years, 2 months ago)

I think I figured it out!

When I innoculated my jars, I was in the same room as all my contaminated jars. They're still sealed but they stink so there must be some spores in the air. When I was innoculating my jars, if the needle was a bit wet when I used it, Contams could have gotten in. From now on I'll spray Lysol in my working area, wipe off the needle after every innoculation, and do it as far as possible from any contams. Thanks for your help bluemeanie.

P.S. What is the longest it takes for the Mycellium to start solonizing. Last time it took 6 days or so but this time its been 10 days and onlt a few are starting to colonize. I'm not panicing yet, I figure its just a little slower this time, but if there's no growth in another week I'll reinoculate.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains