Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleNixtrus
Spore Printing Question.
    #5204654 - 01/20/06 10:24 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Not quite sure if this is the right forum for this question, but I'm sure regardless you all can answer it as well as anyone can, so here it goes. :laugh:

Okay, I tried to take a spore print of something today, and I tried on aluminum foil(I had heard of doing it before, I thought I'd give it a try.)... anyways, I let it sit for around... 12 hours? Somewhere around there. Anyways... I came home to a liquidy mess underneath the mushroom, however it was cloudy as if it was filled with spores. This is the first time I had tried it on aluminum foil. Is this normal? Thanks. =)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinexmush
Professor ofDoom
Male User Gallery

Loc: Jaw-juh
Re: Spore Printing Question. [Re: Nixtrus]
    #5204676 - 01/20/06 10:27 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

What kind of mushroom? Coprinus species have gills that will turn into black liquid. Or, maybe the mushroom was already kind of rotten?

xmush

Offlineeris
underground
Male User Gallery

Loc: North East, USA
Trusted Identifier
    #5204678 - 01/20/06 10:27 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

I would suggest using paper, as opposed to foil.
xmush has a good point - The liquid could mean that you had a species of coprinus, commonly found... the gills melt usually when attempting a spore print for them.

--------------------
Immortal / Temporarily Retired
The OG Thread Killer
My mushroom hunting gallery

OfflineCubensisCutter
mycologist
 User Gallery

Re: Spore Printing Question. [Re: xmush]
    #5204682 - 01/20/06 10:29 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

i se you are in MD, it could of been cuz the mushroom had frost on it and it melted when you were printing

--------------------

thats right cubes in december bitches

InvisibleNixtrus
Re: Spore Printing Question. [Re: eris]
    #5204686 - 01/20/06 10:29 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

I suppose saying "liquidy mess" made it sound pretty bad! I really meant it was more of a watery mess, that looked like it contained spores... and offhand, I'm thinkin' it's an oyster. I'm gonna put it up on the identification board when I can take a picture of them in their habitat tomorrow. I hope it is. =) I was just wonderin' if that normally happens on aluminum foil. I had heard from a few places that it's a good way to take spore prints. I do, however, think these people are lying now. :laugh:

Offlineeris
underground
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #5204691 - 01/20/06 10:31 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Well if you suspect that the species is an oyster, then it should have white spores, which means that you should use a black or dark colored paper (or other dark surface).

--------------------
The OG Thread Killer

InvisibleNixtrus
Re: Spore Printing Question. [Re: eris]
    #5204705 - 01/20/06 10:33 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Yeah... the spore/water mass looks kinda whitish(maybe pinkish? Mighta been crappy light). And I'm guessin' Pleurotis Ostreat--whatever it is. Or, the "Autumn Oyster" as Audubons refers to it. Of course, I haven't tried it. But it looks and smells like an oyster. But I'll try the black paper next time.

Offlineeris
underground
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #5204726 - 01/20/06 10:38 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

I have made spore prints on all sorts of material.. boxes, dark wrappers, plastic objects, etc. I just look for either a pure white or black surface.
I generally try to avoid foil though as certain colors can appear deceiving on it.

--------------------
The OG Thread Killer

Invisiblehokemon
Gnome Captain
 User Gallery

Loc: Georgia
    #5204964 - 01/20/06 11:35 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

That can happen with oysters if you try to make them print while they are waterlogged.

Let them dry out a bit, or make a fresh cut off the stem and let a paper towel soak out some of it's juice.

:gizmo:

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #5205219 - 01/21/06 01:02 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

For identification purposes a spore print needs to be made on white paper.

Spore prints are often made on other things for other purposes. Aluminum foil and glass are good surfaces if you want to scrape some of the spores off the surface later (for example, for cultivation), also they are easy to sterilize.

The spore print color for Oyster Mushrooms is white to pale lilac in color (the lilac shows up well on white paper).

As the others have noted, there are several reasons you could have ended up with a bunch of water.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck