Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineFugaziGuy
Complete Dumbass

Stabilizing a mutant
    #5197866 - 01/19/06 03:46 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

I know a little bit about breeding mj plants and f1s and all of that kind of stuff. I know that breeding mushrooms would be much harder. I've read up on it a little bit and I don't think there's any way I could ever do any crossbredding at home that I could be happy with.

However, I do have a question for the pros. Would it be possible to stabilize a mutant? Say you had a mushroom that was really strange for example 2 caps growing out of one stem. Could you make a print (or in this case 2 prints, one from each cap) and try to stabilize the mutant?

How would you go about doing this? I'm pretty sure that 2 caps would be some very strange recessive trait that would be hard to reproduce. I know this would be harder to do than making an LC jar out of the print and knocking up some spawn. Does anybody have any thoughts on this?

Perhaps you'd have to back breed with the orginal strain?

Or is all of this just wasting time? I've heard that mutants are cause by h202 and some other opinions on the matter. Perhaps all mutants are caused by outside sources and not genetics . . . If that's the case it'd be impossible to try to genetically stabilize something that happened by a fluke. What do you guys think, are mutants genetically mutant or not?

This is a hypothetical situation and I don't have a mutant to work with. However, if somebody did stabilize a 2 cap per stem mutant I think everybody would want to grow that strain. It'd kinda be like the "lowryder" of the mushroom world. When Lowryder seeds first became available everybody and their brother had to grow the little 1 foot tall 8 weeks to finish monsters. (I know I did  :cool:)

Any help is greatly appericated guys. Like I said this is completly hypothetical, but I think it's a pretty cool idea. (I'm sure I'm not the first to have it though).

--------------------

Someday I will own a house that looks like a giant mushroom, it will be furnished with only bean bag furniture. My walls will be covered with tye-dyed tapestries and my doors will be plastered in stickers. When it comes time for me to retire, I will launch pumpkins at the airport with a crude catapult. THEY WILL NEVER TAKE ME ALIVE!

Don't shit on my dream.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleohmatic
searcher
 User Gallery

Loc: europe
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Stabilizing a mutant [Re: FugaziGuy]
    #5197871 - 01/19/06 03:55 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

well, im sure the spores wont be the key to getting more of them,
but isolation COULD direct you the way you want to go.

hoever, i tried cloning mutants and ended up with mostly normal looking mushrooms,
but couple of them shwoing the same mutation.

if you keep cloning them, i think you may be able to "purify" the mutation,
but still, this is just my theory.
peace ohm :mushroom2:

--------------------
:penis: MONOTUB tek :sun: HEATBOMB tek :penis:

RIP #cultivation! ....can't associate? well FUCK U !

OfflineFugaziGuy
Complete Dumbass

Re: Stabilizing a mutant [Re: ohmatic]
    #5197887 - 01/19/06 04:40 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Ohm . . . You have to talk to me like I'm a 3 year old lol. Basically what you're saying is that you made a print of the first mutant and then grew the spores from that mutant and came up with a mutants. Is that right so far?

If I'm on the right track what you're saying is basically print the first mutant, use the spores to start a new grow and you should get another mutant or two.

Print the next series of mutants and use their spores to start a new grow this time you should get a few mutants.

Print thoose mutants and grow start a new grow . . . . keep printing mutants untill you're grows become mostly mutants and eventually you'll have all mutants?

Is that correct?

If that's is correct then how would you know which mutant to print. Say you had a casing with 5 mutants all with the same mutation. . . . Would you print the only the most desirable mutant?

If so would the above technique work if everytime you printed all the mutants (and saved the prints for later use) but only made an LC of " the best " mutant out of the bunch.

Incase that's not making sense. . . it'd go something like print mutant. . . start new grow . . . get a couple mutants . . . print the best mutant . . . start new grow . . . get more mutants . . . print the best one . . . so forth and so so. Does that sound like it would work?

--------------------

Someday I will own a house that looks like a giant mushroom, it will be furnished with only bean bag furniture. My walls will be covered with tye-dyed tapestries and my doors will be plastered in stickers. When it comes time for me to retire, I will launch pumpkins at the airport with a crude catapult. THEY WILL NEVER TAKE ME ALIVE!

Don't shit on my dream.

Edited by FugaziGuy (01/19/06 04:42 AM)

Invisibleohmatic
searcher
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #5197898 - 01/19/06 04:50 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

FugaziGuy said:
Basically what you're saying is that you made a print of the first mutant and then grew the spores from that mutant and came up with a mutants. Is that right so far?

no

Quote:

ohmatic said:hoever, i tried cloning mutants and ended up with mostly normal looking mushrooms,
but couple of them shwoing the same mutation.

see ? i CLONED it .

Quote:

If I'm on the right track what you're saying is basically print the first mutant, use the spores to start a new grow and you should get another mutant or two.

no, this is completely wrong, read above.

Quote:

Print the next series of mutants and use their spores to start a new grow this time you should get a few mutants.

no, keep cloning the generations of mutants following the original mutant.

--------------------

OfflineFugaziGuy
Complete Dumbass

#5197929 - 01/19/06 05:33 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

I was thinking that spores from one mushroom used to grow more mushrooms was the same as cuttings from one mj plants used to grow more mj plants.

I swear I didn't know there was a difference between using the spores of one mushroom to grow more mushroom and actual cloning. My bad, I kinda feel like a dumbass now. I'll going to run a search on cloning and see what I can find to read up on. Sorry about that.

--------------------

Don't shit on my dream.

Invisibleohmatic
searcher
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #5197938 - 01/19/06 05:39 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

FugaziGuy said:
I was thinking that spores from one mushroom used to grow more mushrooms was the same as cuttings from one mj plants used to grow more mj plants.

taking spores from mushrooms is like taking SEEDS from mj, not cuttings.
cuttings ARE clones.

Quote:

My bad, I kinda feel like a dumbass now. I'll going to run a search on cloning and see what I can find to read up on. Sorry about that.

dont feel sorry, one needs to learn mate !
and this is what the shroomery is all about, learning things :smile:
happy to answer all questions !

--------------------

OfflineFugaziGuy
Complete Dumbass

#5197953 - 01/19/06 05:53 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Thanks ohm, you're a good guy. Here's :mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2: for ya.

I hit the FAQ and read up a little bit about agar and read the carboard tek. I'm not the brightest crayon in the box, but I'm pretty sure I can nuke some carboard, put a little bit of mushroom tissue in it, wait for it to colonize and then put it on agar (on in my situation I'd only be cloning one mushroom at a time, I could just try to transfer straight to grain for spawn the tek said a little about that).

I appericate the help man, and lemme know what you think about: grow . . . CLONE mutant . . . . let cardboard colonize . . . cardboard to grain. . . . new grow . . . . repeat.

The more I think about it it does only make sense that the spores are just basically seeds. When you clone a mj plant the cutting is actually plant tissue, so I should of thought it out better. If I would have I would of eventually thought "hey I bet you have to use mushroom tissue to clone a mushroom".

Kind sucks you can't just cut a little off a mushroom, dip it in some cloning gel, and wait for it to root. But, cultivatng mushrooms isn't something that just anybody can do, and that's a big reason why I like it. (That and they don't make your house smell like drugs and you don't have to spend extra money a month running all thoose damn lights.)

--------------------

Don't shit on my dream.

Invisibleohmatic
searcher
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #5197982 - 01/19/06 06:32 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

all u need to know from now can be found in the archives,
namely here: http://www.shroomery.org/forums/postlist.php/Cat/0/Board/agar

--------------------

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #5200956 - 01/19/06 11:07 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

This strain produced mutants everytime from clones. Crops grown from the spores however, were normal.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Invisibleohmatic
searcher
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Stabilizing a mutant [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #5201366 - 01/20/06 01:05 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
This strain produced mutants everytime from clones.  Crops grown from the spores however, were normal.

just what i wanted to point out :smile:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag