Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineAsc1189
The New Guy

hepa filters in FC
    #5164236 - 01/10/06 07:30 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

I have a hepa filter already in my grow room, which works out very well. But I am having major contamination problems before my second flush. I am properly steralizing all equipment needed for picking shroomies from first flush and patching if needed. My trays are getting contaminated before I see any sign of a second flush. Here is my question, if I were to buy another hepa filter and put it in my FC would that possibly solve my problem? I have thought about this for quite some time now and cant seem to figure out what could be the problem. Maybe adding the hepa filter in the FC would reduce the risk of contamination. What do you guys think?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinexaxphaanes
Mycologist
 User Gallery

Re: hepa filters in FC [Re: Asc1189]
    #5164324 - 01/10/06 07:53 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

well it could be that you aren't pasteurizing the casing mix well enough
or it could be that the hepa is moving around alot of mold spores yes it is getting some of em if not most of them but still the air movement that it creates sends mold spores flying everywhere or it could be the fc it self clean it out with a bleach or alcohol solution wipe down really really well and see if you get contams

--------------------
"Anything i say is fictional"
  what you should look for in manure

OfflineAsc1189
The New Guy

Re: hepa filters in FC [Re: xaxphaanes]
    #5164805 - 01/10/06 09:36 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

My FC is pretty much new. 1 month tops. But there is about a two inch gap from where the liner of the cover starts from off of the floor. that might be some of the problem.

Invisibletiny_rabid_birds
Nocturnal
 User Gallery

Loc: estados unidos
Re: hepa filters in FC [Re: Asc1189]
    #5165820 - 01/11/06 12:44 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Like xax said, make sure your casing mix that you're patching with is properly sterilized for a sufficient amount of time in your PC. Also, what are your procedures before harvesting a flush? Do you wash your hands with anti-bacterial soap or alcohol? Do you spray the air above and around the area with Lysol or some other disinfectant spray? Do you use an unsterilized spoon when patching?

If you don't do any of these, then obviously you should remedy that, however, if you do perform all these and still get the contams, then I don't really know what to tell you. Try to minimize the time the casing is exposed to the air when harvesting, meaning have the containers you will use for collecting the fruits on hand and try to pick somewhat faster, if you can without jeopardizing the casing layer.

Whatever your source of contams may be, I hope you find it and put a stop to it. Good luck w/ your future grows.

--------------------

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: hepa filters in FC [Re: tiny_rabid_birds]
    #5166272 - 01/11/06 04:49 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

There is absolutely no reason to attempt to keep a fruiting chamber sterile. If you're getting green molds, then you need more air exchange. If your casing mix was not properly pasteurized, it would have contaminated before the first flush was finished. I do not recommend sterilizing casing. Pasteurize only. Trichoderma and other mold spores are killed off by fairly low temperatures in the 120F to 130F range. The bacteria that survive pasteurization will help protect your casing layer from molds later.

I used to run HEPA filters in every room of my house. They're now all in the storage building collecting dust. I honestly feel a HEPA filter near the grow room does more harm than good by stirring up the air and blowing contaminant spores around that would otherwise sink harmlessly to the floor.

Exchange the air more often in your growing chamber and I'm sure you'll see less problems. After the end of the second flush, toss the tray out and replace with another. You'll get 90% or more of the fruits from a casing in the first two flushes, unlike cakes which sometimes go for 4 or 5 flushes. Don't risk contaminants by trying to get that last ten percent.

Don't put your fruiting chamber anywhere near the floor. 90% of all contaminants are within 12" of the floor, and it's much worse if you have carpet. Be sure your terrarium or other FC is raised up on a shelf. The higher the better.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlinekungpow
SeasonedPsychonaut
Male User Gallery

Loc: AaAaAaAa
Re: hepa filters in FC [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #5166361 - 01/11/06 06:40 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

I believe that most of your problem is air exchange. Most contams can't grow unless the air is very stagnant. What kind of casing mix are you using? I use a 60/40 verm/coir casing mix and I have no problems. I usually sterlize mine in the microwave because I have no PC yet. I have only had one contam and that was a case of green mold. I believe that my FC at the time was dirty and I didn't give enough FAE. I also didn't take all of proper precautions when preparing the casing, because I was in a hurry. Patience is key. But other than that I have had no probs. I hope you figure out the problem because contams really blow. I have only had that one contam but I was still disappointed when it happened. I could only image how upset you must be.

Peace Out~

--------------------
Monotub #3 - check out my best grow to date!!!!

OfflineAsc1189
The New Guy

Re: hepa filters in FC [Re: kungpow]
    #5171628 - 01/12/06 11:08 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

here is a possibility. I usually soak my birdseed for about a day. lately I have slacked a little. (being lazzy is not a good thing is this kind of hobbie dammit) the past two attemps on making jars have all been contam. I just let the birdseed soak for about an hour. being in a hurry is also not a good thing. this could also lead to the contam factor. I think I might try not using a hepa filter on my next attempt. Great advice so far.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale