Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
How often do you include racial slurs in your vocabulary when conversing with people?
    #5155811 - 01/08/06 07:13 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Obviously it depends who you're conversing WITH, but I thought I'd ask....

At my job, it seems like there is a lot of racism. I'm not the type to be anally politically correct about slurs, but I won't say them. It just feels kinda bad for me to do that. I don't like to put down anyone on the basis of race. However, my fellow employees don't see things this way. They use racial slurs in order to "describe" why a person is the way they are. For instance, if a dog comes into the groom shop all matted up, they will say it is because their owners are hispanic.

Is it just me or is that a racist thing to say??!

And today...an owner didn't come to pick up their dog when they said they would, and one of the groomers said it is because they were "being black" about it.

You see, I'm not sure if I'm being oversensitive about it or what...I just feel uncomfortable whenever I hear people so freely basing behavior on race. I see the living stereo-types just like everyone else...but I still don't feel the urge to sum up a person's behavior by making fun or blaming it on their race. I don't see people like that anymore. Every human being is just a universe all their own, and some universes are vastly different then other ones, but it may or may not be because of that human's experiences as a particular race.

Anyone hear what I'm saying here?? Am I being oversensitive? Don't you think we should try not to use racial slurs or blame stuff on race? How are humans supposed to get unified if we cling to these divisive terms?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinenotapillow
I want to be a fisherman
 User Gallery

Loc: A rare and different tune
Re: How often do you include racial slurs in your vocabulary when conversing with people? [Re: MOTH]
    #5155814 - 01/08/06 07:14 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

i invented the n-word

--------------------

InvisibleAcidic_SlothM
Acidic poly-Sided Di-slothamide
 User Gallery

Loc: ainrofilac Flag
Re: How often do you include racial slurs in your vocabulary when conversing with people? [Re: MOTH]
    #5155824 - 01/08/06 07:16 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

all the time.

--------------------
-- Accept my heart warming gift of TREE SCRATCHIES!!! I absolve thee!! --

JaP: 30,000 lines of gay, cock, and fag can't be wrong
Ped: only in #shroomery is "smuggle opium in her ass" followed by "i don't want shitty opium" which is followed by " *** Joins: PENISSQUAD"
--
JaP: What would this place be without random sluts?
JaP: Nothing, I tell you.

:heart: :todcasil: :heart:

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
    #5155834 - 01/08/06 07:18 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

I use racial slurs when I'm around other people who use them, which isn't very often. I don't think any words in and of themselves should be considered offensive, but I recognize that certain people are offended by them, and I try to respect that.

--------------------

Invisiblelukeboots
fresh futuristic
Male User Gallery
Loc: Grand Ole Operating Syste...
    #5155836 - 01/08/06 07:18 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

oh quit being so white about everything.

--------------------

funky ass music: Planet of Dinosaurs // Rich Whiskey

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Re: How often do you include racial slurs in your vocabulary when conversing with people? [Re: Acidic_Sloth]
    #5155842 - 01/08/06 07:19 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

I don't think less of anyone who chooses to say things like that.  I guess I just don't see the need for it, personally!  :confused:
I am a frequent reader of OTD for cock's sake...I can't be THAT sensitive.

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Re: How often do you include racial slurs in your vocabulary when conversing with people? [Re: lukeboots]
    #5155844 - 01/08/06 07:20 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

jonnywax said:
oh quit being so white about everything.

Uh....I can't help it?  :grin: :rofl:

OfflineMcdoopy
Fungus Face
 User Gallery

Loc: Varrok Center
    #5155849 - 01/08/06 07:21 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

all the time

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Re: How often do you include racial slurs in your vocabulary when conversing with people? [Re: Mcdoopy]
    #5155851 - 01/08/06 07:21 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Guess it's just me then!  :confused:

Offlinetheuser
DON'T LOOK
Male User Gallery
    #5155852 - 01/08/06 07:22 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

never :lol:

--------------------
:heart:

OfflineKaptKid
Spaced Pirate
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bright Side of the Sun
    #5155859 - 01/08/06 07:23 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

I was taught nigger was a way of life not a color.Having a house so dirty and not killing rats that have gotten in.The last two times I used it I was talking about whites.

:sun:

--------------------
Child of the 60's, Tripping ever since.

:sun:

Offlinebarfightlard
tales of theinexpressible
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canoodia
    #5155866 - 01/08/06 07:24 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

I know what you mean. Sure what their saying is "racist" but it doesn't mean their actually racist. Honestly I find making fun of stereotypes hilarious sometimes, but I don't take them seriously or have anything against other races.

....I don't know some people are ignorant in their own way, just tolerate it while you "have" to like at work.

--------------------

"What business is it of yours what I do, read, buy, see, say, think, who I fuck, what I take into my body - as long as I do not harm another human being on this planet?" - Bill Hicks

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
    #5155875 - 01/08/06 07:26 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

It's ingrained into our culture. America is founded on racism. The War on Drugs was sparked and fueled by racism.
Texas is a big state, right next to Mexico.

--------------------

InvisiblezSDMF
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: lost in nothing Flag
    #5155897 - 01/08/06 07:32 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

i used to be bad about saying 'nigger' all the time, but it was never directed toward anyone because of their race. cut that out years ago. but i mean, it really depends. i was fucking off one day at work, and a black guy who's maybe.. 15 works as a bagger in the store i'm in. he's like, "mike and amy aer out eating[front end managers] and i can't go on meal because jose[store owner] says no."

i woudl say something like "it's because jose's mex ass hates niggers"
but you sort of have to judge it by situation. i know this kid, we talk a lot when he works. i never would use racial slurs in situyations like u describe

Invisibledblaney
Human Being

Loc: Here & Now
Re: How often do you include racial slurs in your vocabulary when conversing with people? [Re: Shroomism]
    #5155899 - 01/08/06 07:32 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Yeah man the roots of the WOD are dirty and racist and conveniently hidden by those who started it.

But as for racism, it does run deep, but one must be careful not to become one by criticizing and labelling them as such. Some people are going to be racist, and while I agree that it would be ideal to not have any racism, that would be denying the reality of it. It bothers me too sometimes but I find the best thing to do is just let it go. If they start physical violence because of racism though, that's another issue entirely.

--------------------
"What is in us that turns a deaf ear to the cries of human suffering?"

"Belief is a beautiful armor
But makes for the heaviest sword"
- John Mayer

Making the noise "penicillin" is no substitute for actually taking penicillin.

"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or their revolutionary right to dismember or overthrow it." -Abraham Lincoln

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
Re: How often do you include racial slurs in your vocabulary when conversing with people? [Re: dblaney]
    #5155906 - 01/08/06 07:35 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

We're all humans, man.

Peace love and understanding and all that hippy crap.

--------------------

InvisibleAcidic_SlothM
Acidic poly-Sided Di-slothamide
 User Gallery

Loc: ainrofilac Flag
Re: How often do you include racial slurs in your vocabulary when conversing with people? [Re: Shroomism]
    #5155911 - 01/08/06 07:36 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

no, i'm a sloth.

and you're a nigger. :heart:

--------------------
-- Accept my heart warming gift of TREE SCRATCHIES!!! I absolve thee!! --

JaP: 30,000 lines of gay, cock, and fag can't be wrong
Ped: only in #shroomery is "smuggle opium in her ass" followed by "i don't want shitty opium" which is followed by " *** Joins: PENISSQUAD"
--
JaP: What would this place be without random sluts?
JaP: Nothing, I tell you.

:heart: :todcasil: :heart:

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Re: How often do you include racial slurs in your vocabulary when conversing with people? [Re: dblaney]
    #5155917 - 01/08/06 07:36 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

I'm not saying I'm 100% innocent of racism myself. I'd probably be more scared to be in a dark alley with a black man then a white one. I've laughed at racist comedy before.

But I do try really hard not to "spread" racism by my speech or actions.

InvisibleAliceDee
-L S D-
Male
    #5155928 - 01/08/06 07:40 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

i do it sometimes... occasionally ill call my close friends niggas like ill say wuddup my nigga in front of black people and i thought i was gonna get my ass kicked but for some reason they didnt care...

InvisibleTerrapin77
PsychedelicStranger

Loc: Takin a wild ride on the ...
    #5155930 - 01/08/06 07:40 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

EllemyshShade said:
Guess it's just me then!  :confused:

I never use racial slurs for reasons that are my own, but I never use them.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates