Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblerepobob
enthusiast
Loc: Illinois
Honey Tek Syringe
    #512346 - 01/06/02 05:57 PM (22 years, 2 months ago)

Went shopping today looking for perlite. Hard to get this time of year. Anyway, I found a syringe thats used for cattle. Looks very durable. I bought a 10 cc but they come in different sizes. The needle, which I think is standard attachment to syringe they had various sizes up to about 3" inches long and 1/8 inch O.D. Thats the one I bought. It has two inlets on either side and staggered. The syringe also has a neat feature, there is a nut on the plunger that you can set to control the amount of dose. This is seriously heavy duty.
I'm new at this hobby - having my first birthday next week, but This looked to me to be the perfect syringe for the honey tek. I have not PC'd it yet, but it looks like it could take the heat. It cost about $14.00 and needles were 3 for $4.00. Kind of expensive, but these really look like they will last a lifetime - Lots of metal and heavy plastic. If I knew how to post a picture I'd post it here - help?
Anybody know about these, does my description sound like these would work? If they can stand PCing would anyone be interested in them?
I also found arm length disposable gloves. Looked good for a "glove box". They are not thick, and would have to be replaced often, but they are inexpensive and a colar and hose clamp would make it easy to change.
Let me know what you guys think.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineFlstew
Re: Honey Tek Syringe [Re: repobob]
    #512361 - 01/06/02 06:07 PM (22 years, 2 months ago)

Not all to sure about the tech for im a newbie myself, but i can help you out with how to post a picture. Click this link,
How To Post Pic's

Looking forward to the pics and info in the post, take care.

Edited by Flstew (01/06/02 06:10 PM)

Invisiblerepobob
enthusiast
Re: Honey Tek Syringe [Re: Flstew]
    #512389 - 01/06/02 06:27 PM (22 years, 2 months ago)

Thanks Flstew. If it works - That was easy. If not oops.

--------------------

Invisiblerepobob
enthusiast
    #512399 - 01/06/02 06:37 PM (22 years, 2 months ago)

Guess I should read all the directions. Hope I don't have the same problem with the TEK's.

Lets try again....

and another one

What do you think.

--------------------

Invisiblerepobob
enthusiast
    #512639 - 01/06/02 09:45 PM (22 years, 2 months ago)

I'm gonna get a complex. Is my idea that bad.
Do the gloves sound like the may work?

Bob

--------------------

InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montana
Trusted Cultivator
    #512655 - 01/06/02 10:01 PM (22 years, 2 months ago)

Seems like you payed alot for the Syringe.
Feed and Seed stores sell 3cc, 6cc, 10cc, 20cc syringes with a needle for less than a buck.
The gloves sound interesting though.
I'd like to see a picture of the gloves.
:smile:

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

Invisiblerepobob
enthusiast
Re: Honey Tek Syringe [Re: Roadkill]
    #512914 - 01/07/02 05:19 AM (22 years, 2 months ago)

The syringe is expensive, but it is seriously heavy duty and looks like it would last forever. It also has a very thick needle with a large hole - good for sucking Mycillium from the jars.
The glove being clear plastic are had to photograph. They are made of thin plastic and are disposible, the nice thing is they are very long come above my elbow almost to my sholder. They are not made of the same material as standard disposable gloves, these are made of polyetheline like a baggie.
Thanks for the input Roadkill.

--------------------

OfflineFantazee
journeyman
Loc: New England
    #513088 - 01/07/02 10:49 AM (22 years, 2 months ago)

I'm a huge fan of the Honey TEK...I use a Marinating syringe that I bought at Kitchen's Etc. for about $5 (if I remember correctly). I've tried growing the mycellium in the syringe, but I like the jar method better. Anyway, your syringe is great, and will last forever, eliminating the need for you to buy disposible ones (which can be difficult or expensive to obtain)...One hint of advice when growing mycellium in honey water jars...Shake often...especially when you're attempting to extract the mycellium...Otherwise you'll get thick strands that will clog your syinge needle and create problem...also, I try and make my substrate jars drier, so as to compensate for the extra moisture you're going to inject...that way you gan give the jar a large dose of honey water/mycellium and it won't be wet...Just use your commonsense...Good Luck!!

Invisiblerepobob
enthusiast
Re: Honey Tek Syringe [Re: Fantazee]
    #513560 - 01/07/02 06:20 PM (22 years, 2 months ago)

You know I have a Marinating Syringe, never even thought of it. Would have been less expensive.
Thanks for the tips on the honey tek. I have already made that mistake. I totally forgot to shake for the first few days. My dog plans on inoculating substrate with his first honey/water mycilium. I have a mass of strandy kinda white stuff sitting on the bottom. Kinda looks like dust bunnies only white. The water is becomming less golden and more clear. Does this sound? I hope you don't mind the questions. I'm just not 100% sure yet.

Bob

--------------------

OfflineFantazee
journeyman
Loc: New England
    #514227 - 01/08/02 10:04 AM (22 years, 2 months ago)

Yeah...sounds normal to me...I'm no expert, but I take the clearing water to mean that the mycellium is feeding off of the liquid and that you will probably see a hault in growth soon...time to use it or refrigerate it at that point...The TEKs I've read don't really tell you much about what happens after innoculating the honeywater with spores, so I'm going on instinct and what I've been told in this forum...Still, the only time it's ever failed me is when I've made my jars too wet...

Also,
If you do get a big clump of mycellium just shake that jar vigorously before innoculation, you'll get a jar full of mycellium/water...it will allow you more control over the extraction of mycellium, but also require you to use more water when innoculating your cakes...

Let me know how it goes...PM me if you want to chat more about it...Again...I'm not an expert, but I know what's worked for me...If anybody has any corrections or comments to offer please feel free...

Offlineshamanic-nut
Stranger

Re: Honey Tek Syringe [Re: Flstew]
    #28588463 - 12/18/23 02:26 PM (3 months, 7 days ago)

Hey just pc for 30mins.  I wrap in tinfoil. Keep everything you are cooking above water line. Place a barrier in between plastic and the metal bottom of pressure cooker. You can use mason lids ,rags something , to let the steam bath do it's job.  Sterilize!!! Make sure you purge! This means waiting until your pressure lock flips to lock! while blowing steam  then and only then add the rocker weight! Purging is integral with proper steam sterilization. Don't just add the rocker as soon as you turn on the heat. I have been growing for ten years and I realized I had payed very little attention to this small but important procedure .

OfflineScrewup
Googles your dumb questions
Trans-female

Re: Honey Tek Syringe [Re: repobob] * 1
    #28588478 - 12/18/23 02:37 PM (3 months, 7 days ago)

Excellent job necroing a 21 year old thread!

--------------------
🅃 🄴 🄰 🄼    🄲 🄻 🄸 🄽 🄶 🅆 🅁 🄰 🄿

Help US help YOU TEK

2023 Dehydrator TEK

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract