Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
Physical Health as a Condition to Spiritual Health
    #5120816 - 12/29/05 10:53 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

In the last few years I had begun to overcome some health issues. I quit a serious drinking problem 8 years ago, lost some unneeded weight (100 Lbs, but I am a big guy anyway 6'4"), and started exercising by walking 5 miles a day. In the last 6 months I had resumed some bad habits. While I did not resume my earlier level of drinking (5 case beer a week), I had started to drink and let the amount slowly creep up. I quit walking, and started to enjoy food a bit too much and gained a little weight (25 lbs). I started feeling lethargic and lazy...I felt that I had lost a lot af willpower by resuming some of my old habits...they seem to rob me of it. My spiritual commitment to myself had started to decline as well. So two weeks ago I started a rigorous exercise and weight lifting program I got from a book on bodybuilding called "Body for Life". The weight training still has me feeling somewhat sore in my arms and legs...but it is a good soreness. My muscles feel tighter, my energy is returning and I feel a renewed sense of purpose. It is slowly becoming apparent to me that one's physical condition has a lot of influence over ones spiritual state. While in poor health it is easy to let things slide...important things like personal integrity and one's day to day motivation. I now consider good health to be a prerequisite to spiritual well being. How do others feel about this?

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineDeviate
Re: Physical Health as a Condition to Spiritual Health [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #5120967 - 12/30/05 12:13 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

for me spiritual living entails listening to my body's sublte signals and what they tell me. this translates into a healthy lifestyle.

Edited by Deviate (12/30/05 12:13 AM)

Invisiblegettinjiggywithit
jiggy
Female User Gallery

Loc: Heart of Laughter
Re: Physical Health as a Condition to Spiritual Health [Re: Deviate]
    #5120982 - 12/30/05 12:23 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Thats how it is for me too. Your body and intuition will tell you what it needs. You just have to listen to it. That is a spiritual act in itself-listening. When we listen with full openness to hear and understand what we are hearing, we are as out of ego as we can get while awake. In the act of listening intently, awareness is heightened. Spirit is what's left doing the listening.

:peace:  :heart:

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

OfflineFospher
Crime FightingMaster Criminal
Male

Loc: The Netherlands
    #5120994 - 12/30/05 12:31 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

I am a fairly skinny guy, but if you ever see me flex, I've got a bruce lee bodystructure. I always saw that my physical image was a prerequsite to my metaphysical.

Another fuel for my growth is deprivation. Food, entertainment, and excessive drugs/alcohol. In fact, I try to keep myself a little cold and a little hungry (not always sober though, I find occasional drug use to be an awesome catalyst) at all times - an impeccable condition - in which my creative fuel just surges through the veins.

Constant stretching, exercising is a prerequisite to raising your awareness and consciousness level. You're not going anywhere if you think playing video games with a bag of doritos and then going outside for 10 minutes will keep you in good physical/spiritual health.

I am a hypocrite for spending so much time behind the screen, however.

:crazy:

--------------------
010001100100001001000101!

Offlinekeefboy
a friendly parkranger
Re: Physical Health as a Condition to Spiritual Health [Re: Fospher]
    #5121038 - 12/30/05 01:01 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

this is one of the most important things i've learned during my 20 years. lifting is key to spiritual health. doing some kind of cardio is also key.

of course, if you're extremely strong willed you can be mentally healthy without regular excersize, but why would you want to be?

i basically strive for health in all areas cuz i feel it's the way to do it

--------------------
"A friend of mine was famous for holding his hits until his face swelled up and turned bright red. The veins in his neck and forehead would bulge and he'd get bug-eyed. He'd start sweating. Then he'd belch the hit out violently, along with plenty of spit, and gasp for air." ~UBAKO

OfflineFospher
Male

Re: Physical Health as a Condition to Spiritual Health [Re: keefboy]
    #5121083 - 12/30/05 01:20 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

keefboy said:
lifting is key to spiritual health.

*muscle balance  :smirk:

Imagine a bodybuilder with huge pacs but that cant lift anything because he has a weak back.

Bruce Lee didnt knock guys out one inch away from him by benchlifting either.

Getting strong is all about balancing your body. If your entire body is in tune, your sense of balance is superb, you'll be nearly impossible to knock down because your entire body is working in sync to support you.

:yinyang:

--------------------

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
    #5121165 - 12/30/05 01:42 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

"Physical Health as a Condition to Spiritual Health"

I just had this exact thought less then five seconds before clicking into this forum. 

Here I am sitting here in my bed in my pj's, stoned off a weed cookie from earlier, chugging down cool-aid squeeze-its and eating cheerio's out of the bag while browsing the Shroomery...not very healthy, is it?  In fact, I feel a little sick from all this cool-aid.  It's like gasoline to my brain and a sour syrup to my stomach. 

Nevermind the fact that I felt entitled to all of this because I worked a very long and tiring day yesterday. 

Anyway, I agree with you!  Whenever I am more health conscious (granted I did have lots of cantalope earlier ... +1) I feel better all around. 

Thanks for the reminder...  :smile:

OfflineFospher
Male

#5121197 - 12/30/05 01:53 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

BAM!

--------------------

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
    #5121612 - 12/30/05 09:13 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Right you are Hue. My shamanic friend told me at the beginning of our association that energy was the requirement for spiritual growth. If all ones energy was being used in survival,(hating work, struggles at home, no exercise, poor health habits etc.) there is no energy left for spiritual growth and stagnation or decay of the organism ensues. Pretty basic, but he had the habit of repeating things to me hundreds of times until I wanted to scream. His plan worked and it sunk in, and I remembered it and a dozen other things at the critical time. Keep it up Hue. You are getting ready to use all that energy, maybe on a psychedelic spiritual desert trek, fishing trip with me. :thumbup:

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Edited by Icelander (12/30/05 09:14 AM)

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

#5121639 - 12/30/05 09:21 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

until one is capable of seeing (directly)
one always sees through the veil of self
which is mostly comprised of the trails left by body sensations.

"how does one see (directly) in any state of health?" is a good question,
since not all are able to attain youth and vitality,
but all may be enlightened at any time.

--------------------
:confused: _ :brainfart:🧠  _ :finger:

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #5121743 - 12/30/05 10:08 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

> I now consider good health to be a prerequisite to spiritual well being. How do others feel about this?

Nothing is set in stone... Mattie Stepanek (:heart:) is a classic example of somebody that was extremly enlightened, but very sick...

However, I agree with you, that for the most part, a healthy body, mind, and soul all three go hand in hand.

Quote:

FOR OUR WORLD
We need to stop.
Just stop.
Stop for a moment.
Before anybody
Says or does anything
That may hurt anyone else.
We need to be silent.
Just silent.
Heart Silent for a moment.
Before we forever lose
The blessing of songs
That grow in our hearts.
We need to notice.
Just notice.
Notice for a moment.
Before the future slips away
Into ashes and dust of humility.
Stop, be silent, and notice.
In so many ways, we are the same.
Our differences are unique treasures.
We have, we are, a mosaic of gifts
To nurture, to offer, to accept.
We need to be.
Just be.
Be for a moment.
Kind and gentle, innocent and trusting,
Like children and lambs,
Never judging or vengeful
Like the judging and vengeful.
And now, let us pray,
Differently, yet together,
Before there is no earth, no life,
No chance for peace.

September 12, 2001
? Matthew Joseph Thaddeus Stepanek

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Re: Physical Health as a Condition to Spiritual Health [Re: Icelander]
    #5122434 - 12/30/05 12:38 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

I am a firm believer in the philosophy of accumulating personal power just as you have described, but I occasionally slide into my old, unhealthy routines. Then it is time to pull myself up by my bootstraps, and step back on the path. I have found the key for my personal spiritual growth, but I am still undecided on how the physical aspect of this should be conducted. THIS TIME I have decided to go with weights and strenuous exercise combined with a moderate low fat/low sugar diet. While I have managed to maintain a relatively healthy lifestyle, my will power has still not hit the point that I wished when I set out on this path. I am hoping that a physically powerful physique will increase my energy level and initialize myself psychologically. In recent years I have become too comfortable with my path, and change has come ever slower. When one is in a state of misery spiritual growth is easy because it is natural to avoid misery, but when the misery has been overcome and one is comfortable it is hard to turn ones back on the comfort and continue up the mountain. Maybe this is where my path forks, and I experience discomfort in order to advance. I know that at this moment I am so damn sore from working out the last week that I am surely less than comfortable.

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

Invisiblegettinjiggywithit
jiggy
Female User Gallery

Loc: Heart of Laughter
Re: Physical Health as a Condition to Spiritual Health [Re: Seuss]
    #5122447 - 12/30/05 12:41 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Seuss,

Thanks for sharing that For Our World poem. I enjoyed it.  :thumbup:

:peace:  :heart:

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

#5122463 - 12/30/05 12:44 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

I am sure you can whoop that puppy into shape.

get a nice platform from which to view the world and do your good work.

instead of "aquiring personal power", see it as unaquiring or releasing what was locked, and so helping the universe - nothing personal.

--------------------

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Re: Physical Health as a Condition to Spiritual Health [Re: redgreenvines]
    #5122611 - 12/30/05 01:24 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

I prefer the traditional Native American concept of personal power, which is what Icelander described so precisely in his post. He follows a school of thought with similar origins to my own. I have used this as a model for personal change in the past with a high degree of success. I have been told that there are several types of shamanism, and my experience has shown me that there is some truth to this claim. Warrior-Shamanism is the personification of inanimate objects, emotions, animals, and feelings. The warrior-shaman believes in building defenses and accumulating power to combat enemies both physical and spiritual. It is aggressive and combative in nature. A warrior-shaman will heal by setting defenses and driving out evil spirits. Most Native American traditions are of this kind. It was/is typically practiced by warlike primitive societies around the globe. This is the philosophy of thought that I have been influenced by. There are other types that focus on healing through acceptance and unity, instead of separation and personification, such as the traditional Korean or Siberian shaman. Of course the Koreans recognize several other forms of shamanism within their tradition alone.

--------------------

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

#5122658 - 12/30/05 01:32 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

in all the paths there are inner teachings of what is and outer teachings of there seems to be.
the outer teaching
suggests atavistic or dark conflict with external forces with magic that favors lucky or skillful shamans
the inner teaching
shows that the warrior watches the enemy within, and he can seem walk on water effortlessly.

in the outer teaching, lottery winners are great shamans

--------------------

Offlinelysergicide
Aurora Borealis
Male

Loc: 41.8861° N, 12.4851° E
    #5122667 - 12/30/05 01:34 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

I can't speak for anybody else, but I think that physical health is an issue we all must face realistically. If you want a rich and growing mind, you'll need a rich and growing body too.

As you enhance the body, you enhance the mind. Discipline. As you apply new changes to yourself, you become a disciplined person.

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Re: Physical Health as a Condition to Spiritual Health [Re: redgreenvines]
    #5122674 - 12/30/05 01:37 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

"in all the paths there are inner teachings of what is and outer teachings of there seems to be.
the outer teaching
suggests atavistic or dark conflict with external forces with magic that favors lucky or skillful shamans"

No, I do not look to be favored by luck...leave little to chance and assume nothing is my motto.

"the inner teaching
shows that the warrior watches the enemy within, and he can seem walk on water effortlessly."

The only true enemy is the self.

--------------------

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Re: Physical Health as a Condition to Spiritual Health [Re: lysergicide]
    #5122682 - 12/30/05 01:40 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

I agree totally, but I do see many people enhance the body, but forget about the mind....they miss the forest for the trees...

--------------------

Offlinekeefboy
a friendly parkranger
Re: Physical Health as a Condition to Spiritual Health [Re: Fospher]
    #5122731 - 12/30/05 01:58 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Fospher said:
Quote:

keefboy said:
lifting is key to spiritual health.

*muscle balance  :smirk:

Imagine a bodybuilder with huge pacs but that cant lift anything because he has a weak back.

well yes and no. ill agree that muscle balance is very important. once i targetted my weaker muscles (lower back) i increased overall strength 2x.

you mentioned that if you have muscle balance then you wont get knocked down, i.e. you will rarely lose a fight. however, there may be someone who is equally as balanced but has more mass. he is more likely to win the fight.

my point in saying lifting was key was not about gaining mass. there was a list of 100 benefits somewhere, and from personal experience i can say that most of them are true.

one of them is the mood lift. i NEVER walk out of the gym feeling worse then i did when i got there. even the rare days when i feel like shit and angry at the world i come out feeling like a champ.

--------------------
"A friend of mine was famous for holding his hits until his face swelled up and turned bright red. The veins in his neck and forehead would bulge and he'd get bug-eyed. He'd start sweating. Then he'd belch the hit out violently, along with plenty of spit, and gasp for air." ~UBAKO

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale