Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleRahz
Alive Again
Male

Grass clippings?
    #5104517 - 12/25/05 10:15 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Just a thought for this spring when I have to pull out the lawn mower again. Let's say you took the clippings, let them dry and pasturized them. Any reason why this wouldn't work?

Benefits: readily available in large quantities, free, no need to manually cut it up. Spent casings would be right at home in a pile of the same stuff.

Rahz

--------------------
rahz

comfort pleasure power love truth awareness peace

"The object of opening the mind, as of opening the mouth, is to shut it again on something solid." - Gilbert Keith Chesterton

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineNESpores
Formerly MyLady
Male User Gallery

Loc: Vermont USA
Re: Grass clippings? [Re: Rahz]
    #5104760 - 12/25/05 12:15 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

I think this was brought up a while ago...
All I remember is negative feedback to the idea because of moisture problems or something like that.
let me check the other threads about it... brb

--------------------
Did your grow fail, and now your out of spores? Problem Solved. Check out my CakeSaver Tek.
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/5236115/an/0/page/0

Offlinecoda
Banjo Goiter
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Grass clippings? [Re: NESpores]
    #5104783 - 12/25/05 12:32 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

actually grass will ferment pretty quickly.  If you want to see what im talking about take a pile of grass clippings and let it sit for a while then smell it :smile:

--------------------
To get really high is to forget yourself. And to forget yourself is to see everything else. And to see everything else is to become an understanding molecule in evolution, a conscious tool of the universe. And I think every human being should be a conscious tool of the universe. . . .

-JG

i really am glad you came back to us instead of taking the other path. *hug*

-A_S (RIP your final words to me will never be forgotten)

Don't fuck with the laughing jesus.

OfflineNESpores
Formerly MyLady
Male User Gallery

Loc: Vermont USA
Re: Grass clippings? [Re: NESpores]
    #5104803 - 12/25/05 12:41 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

ok, well I checked some other posts about it and aparently I just imagined that moisture content problem :tongue:
Some people compared it to using hay, which is a very intense breeding ground for contams.
I would not recomend using grass clippings, as my past attempts with hay were rather crappy (i couldn't get full colonization).
Stick with straw, even though I myself can only find straw at craft places...

peace, and good thinking!

--------------------
Did your grow fail, and now your out of spores? Problem Solved. Check out my CakeSaver Tek.
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/5236115/an/0/page/0

Invisiblesrgtm1a
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Grass clippings? [Re: coda]
    #5104809 - 12/25/05 12:43 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

coda said:
actually grass will ferment pretty quickly.  If you want to see what im talking about take a pile of grass clippings and let it sit for a while then smell it :smile:

:thumbup:

yeah, it smells worse than rotting potato....really nasty stuff.  It's ok to throw some into a compost bin, but i'd never bring just the rotting grass into my house hehe or even outside near my house....ewwww.

Offlinewillmafingerdo
the noob
Male User Gallery

Re: Grass clippings? [Re: srgtm1a]
    #5104837 - 12/25/05 01:15 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

i dumped a old casing out into my grass clipping pile last yr. and the fruits exploded, i would get around 2 oz per flush and it was just 5 pnt of cased corn. ended up getting 3 or 4 flushes out of it. and they were some real fatties. i plan trying it agin this summer..

heres some pics of the big ones from some of the flushes...

--------------------
:scaryshroom: :shitstorm: :mattz: :bongload: :gethigh: :scaryshroom:

I am not lost.. i am going there looking for it.. and when i get there and find it, i will know what it is..

"The way to stop violence is not to go out and let your head be beaten in but to say, you want to take my life risk yours!"

"are you sure u want to eat all them shrooms??"  "yes i want to hear what my mind has to say..."

remember opions are like assholes, everyone has one and they all stink.

InvisibleRahz
Alive Again
Male

Re: Grass clippings? [Re: willmafingerdo]
    #5105175 - 12/25/05 04:23 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

hmm, so grass clippings might do better outside.

I assume that the fermentation occurs even with proper pasturization...

Rahz

--------------------
rahz

comfort pleasure power love truth awareness peace

"The object of opening the mind, as of opening the mouth, is to shut it again on something solid." - Gilbert Keith Chesterton

InvisibleSillicybin
Loc: Flag
Re: Grass clippings? [Re: Rahz]
    #5105700 - 12/25/05 08:49 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Well, the fermentation is going to occur because the bacteria will survive the pasteurization process.

An easy way to get around this would be to be absolutely METICULOUS about sterility, and sterilize the grass clippings instead of pasteurizing it.

Or, you could just add a crapload of spawn... maybe a 1:2 or 1:1 ratio, so that the mycelium would colonize faster than fermentation takes place.

I'm imagining the reason fermentation occurs so quickly is due to the massive amounts of surface area since the blades are so fine.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder