Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco All-in-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleTippinthru
contented

Loc: "The Garden"...
Psilocybe cubensis WBS spawn to horse dung * 4
    #5086526 - 12/20/05 04:36 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Here goes. My first grow EVER.

A little history beforehand.

I lurked for about 6 months.

I read the FAQ, Archives, and followed many members Grow-Log?s.

I used the search feature diligently, and followed the Cultivation Board almost daily.

I also asked a few questions via PM of various experienced members.

I kept an extensive notebook, and record of informative links that I could refer back to.

After, much consideration. I decided to try WBS, spawned to BULK horse manure substrate,simply because I have the room, means, and will.

THE PLANNING STAGE.

I purchased a small used Mirro PC (holds 4 quart jars), and a used AA 921 (holds 7 quart jars) with the toggle pressure relief valve (rather than a weight type regulator). 

I bought syringes, and needles, thinking I would start out with vendor print.

All the while, I searched for a source of aged horse manure, finding an ideal one after 2 months of looking here and there on drives in the country.

I bought Wild Bird Seed,  Micropore tape, and Tyvek. I decided to go with WBS because an experienced member explained to me it was the most forgiving spawn material. Being a mix of various seeds, rather than one single kind.

Being a mix, I found that some hydrate quicker, hold more moisture, while others hydrate slower, and hold less moisture. Resulting in a balance range wider than single kinds of grains alone.

Like all beginners, I was faced with the choice, of which strains to start with. I made a few PM inquiries, and one member was kind enough to offer me a few free spore syringes of differing strains, which arrived a week later.  Boy, was I impressed!

That same member also suggested I consider making Liquid Cultures (LC?s) to begin with, to use as inoculate, rather than spore solution. I decided to, and made tubing type LC filter lids, used dry malt, dry dextrose 50/50 mixture in 3% nutrient solution, and PC?ed 4 half full quart jars 20 minutes. Then allowed the LC jars to cool to room temperature overnight, and they turned out to  be outstanding! (if I do say so myself !)

As I was about to inoculate the LC jars. I realized I had made my first mistake :eek:. I forgot to include a marble in each LC, as an agitating device :mad2:.  After discovering my blunder,  I decided to inoculate them anyway, because if need be, I knew where I could buy 14 gauge needles from a local Feed & Seed store.  In case my LC?s grew so thick they would plug the 18 gauge needles, I have on hand.

After the LC?s began to show thick healthy colonization :grin:, I soaked the WBS about 24 +/- hours, in a bucket. Then steeped it in fairly hot water for about an hour, then rinsed the WBS with hot tap water, drained it in a colander, and loaded jars about ? full.

The lids were 2 hole type (1/4 inch holes), with Tyvek under the lids, and Micropore tape over the top of the holes. Each lid was also covered with triple coffee filters, or single layer of Tyvek, as an added exterior precaution.

I did  6 pint jars, and one ? gallon jar in one 90 minute PC run, followed by 3 more 90 minute PC runs of 7 quarts each all the same day. All jars were shaken hot, as they were removed from the PC, then placed in the pantry,and allowed to cool overnight.

After sanitizing my smallest bathroom, inside it wearing clean cloths, face mask, gloves, and hair covering. I inoculated the WBS pints with about 2.5 ml LC each. The quarts with 5 or 6 ml each, and the ? gallon with about 20 ml.

Instantly, it was apparent 20 ml was excessive in the half gallon jar :eek:. As about ?  inch of solution quickly pooled within the WBS in the bottom of the jar. Attempting to remedy the situation, I laid the jar on it?s side, and gently rolled it several times for a minute or two, trying to spread  the excess solution throughout the jar. Then rolled it a quarter turn about every 10 minutes for the next hour. Which appeared save the jar, as solution no longer pooled on it?s bottom after that, whew, recovered that blunder. :tongue2:

I incubated the jars inside a refrigerator at a constant 80F. I used a heating pad as a heat source on the refrigerators bottom level, covered with a large metal tray. For accurate  temperature control, a thermostatic dial control outside the box, with a probe inside the box which was used as a regulator.  For three days, prior to loading the refrigerator with WBS jars, I tested the thermostat control, pad & probe to insure all functioned properly. They did +/- one degree F. Yipee!

The link below is where I found a precision thermostatic controller for $30, plus S/H. All the comparable controllers of the same caliber I could found, sell in the $150 range.

http://www.bigappleherp.com/Reptile_Supp...descriptionLink

During the first 3 days of the incubation period, I briefly inspected the jars once a day, to monitor their progress. To my horror  :eek: on day 4, I discovered a small contaminate spot inside one jar, which I immediately isolated, so I could take pictures of, and study my first contaminate later.

This picture was taken of it days later.

After that, I closely inspected all jars twice daily, fearing more contaminates would appear like rampant measles on a small wild child. Thankfully, none did. Nor do I have any explanation why that one single jar contaminated, and all the others did not. Other than possibly the Mushroom God?s saw fit to give me a very mild demonstration of what can go wrong, if in the entire process you overlook sterility at any stage.

To my surprise all jars colonized very close to the same rate, and all were 100% within 9 to 12 days.

NOT YET SHAKEN

SHAKEN

NEARLY 100%

I converted a small uncarpeted room in the basement into my mycology hobby room. I removed everything in it, sealed off the heat vent, repainted the walls, and ceiling, moved in 2 large plastic topped banquet type tables, metal cabinets, shelving,  portable Honeywell hepa filter, a portable thermostatically controlled electric heater, and a comfortable un-upholstered chair. Then super sanitized everything.

During the WBS incubation stage, a large package arrived from the same member, who previously sent me spore syringes. Inside was a note explaining it was dehydrated compost, along with simple directions how to prepare, and put it to use.

Even though I already secured a huge source of aged horse manure. I decided to put the compost to use, rather the manure I had on hand. As I had seen good reviews about it, and it doesn?t require wet pasteurization. Frankly, I wasn?t looking forward to hand screening, shredding, and pasteurizing bags of manure on my kitchen stove top anyway. Although, I?m no sissy, and intend to in the future?maybe after the snow melts away!

I simply added the dry compost to the bags that came with it, hydrated it to hand tested field capacity. Then checked the moisture content with a moisture meter, to make sure it was in the proper range. Then loosely closed each bag with a rubber band, and microwaved each one on high for three separate 2.22 minute sequences, removed, sealed, and stored the hot bags, to cool over night.

SPAWNING

I decided to spawn several different sized trays, to compare any differences in how each progressed. I used about a 25 to 30% spawn to substrate ratio. I also used different types of tray coverings. On some I used cling wrap, on others aluminum foil.

I used Micropore tape to cover slits on the cling wrapped trays to allow for gas exchange. On the foil covered trays, I used two layers of foil. The first layer applied smooth, and tight. Then poked a pattern of small holes through that layer. Then, covered that with crumpled tin foil, to allow for "gas exchange".

I also used a Glad Oven ware tray, and a cake tray. Both of which have lids. Those I drilled a hole in, and covered the hole with Micropore tape.

There are a few more differing trays, and one flower pot spawned.
I will save pictures of those for later.

All the spawned trays are incubating at 78F. I have peeked in a few, and they appear to be colonizing like wildfire, with healthy white mycelium growth spreading out rapidly from WBS spawn points that are visible on each trays surface.

Everything has gone a lot faster than I thought it would. So, I?m trying to get this written, and posted as quickly as possible. Because at this rate, the trays will be fully colonized, and ready for casing material to be applied, long before I expected.

So far so good. :grin:

Also,  a big :heart:thank you :heart:, to those who helped me all along the way. :thumbup:

UPDATE:48 hours after spawning.
Trays are colonizing FAST.

I had to keep lowering the thermostat. :eek:
The trays generate heat, all by themselves.
I finally just turned the heater OFF.
Incubator interior is maintaining 80/82F, in a 68/70F room.
That was a learning lesson.

UPDATE, all trays are colonizing nicely. :grin:

Some a little quicker than others.
I assume that is because of the differing strains.

The wait is almost agonizing.

UPDATE
The trays are colonizing nicely. It appears that some will be ready to add a casing cover to, in 24 / 36 hours.

So, I decided to make up the casing mixture. I chose to make a primarily Vermiculite 50%, and Coir 40%, with about 5% Perlite (for texture), and about 5% Diatomaceous earth (I use it in my garden).

I made the mixture in a bucket, then mixed it well. Then added it to plastic bags, hydrated it, sealed the bags loosely with rubber bands, then micro-waved each bag several times in sequences of 3 minutes each, then sealed the hot bags tight with the rubber bands, then placed them in a box, to cool to room temperature.

Bagged, hydrated, micro-waved, and sealed to cool.

UPDATE Cased

There are many more trays cased, but it would be repetitive to post all those pictures. Back in the incubator they go, until the casing cover colonizes.

UPDATE:

Mother nature did me in, almost.

Region I live in had heavy rains, and a few rivers ran slightly over their banks.

Resulting in my basement grow room having 18 inches of water in it, and no electricity or heat for 3 days.

I could not save all the trays. Only a few.

Bigger deeper tray with pins about to form.

Smaller shallower trays with pins actually popping out.

UPDATE

UPDATE

I'm standing behind the 7th one from the left.

UPDATE

Girls never want to tell ANYBODY weight.

More to go. And, second flush is starting to pin on some trays.

I feel almost decadent.
Many many thanks to the great guy who tutored me through all this.
I wish I could thank you in person (wanna :smile:).

In retrospect.

Follow the archives, posts by Anno, Roadkill, Workman, Mycofile, agar & all the other well respected members. And, you can hardly go wrong.

Once you have a basic understanding of what you want to do, and how.
It helps greatly to keep detailed notes. Then, from those notes, work out a plan to proceed by. Acquire the needed materials, things, tools, equipment, and organize a clean space for them.

Once you have that space, and those essentials well organized.
Simply follow your notes. If you run into a problem.
It also helps to cultivate a mentor or two, you can PM with questions.

Then, follow the your plan. I did. It worked out well.
It should work out well for anyone, with patience, and a plan to follow.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineTweexican
Clit Commander
 User Gallery
Re: First Grow, Bulk, from the beginning. [Re: Tippinthru]
    #5086574 - 12/20/05 04:59 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

very very very well done!

it reminds me of my first grow. i too attempted a LC with my first spore syringe, as well as WBS spawned to poo. it worked out great for me and gave me the confidence to move on.

the best of luck to you! keep reading and you'll go far.

--------------------

InvisibleShnezbit
Psycho-naught
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Threshold.
Re: First Grow, Bulk, from the beginning. [Re: Tweexican]
    #5087147 - 12/20/05 08:01 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

good grow log so far. very well written and nice pics too.

gl.

InvisibleDety
Old No.7
Folding@home Statistics
    #5087515 - 12/20/05 09:49 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Well done i love all the pictures!

Best of luck. :thumbup:

Offlinepink_floyd
A littlestranger...

Re: First Grow, Bulk, from the beginning. [Re: Dety]
    #5088087 - 12/21/05 12:02 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Beautiful!! What strain?

--------------------
There are no passengers on this spaceship we call earth, we are all crew...

InvisibleTippinthru
contented

Re: First Grow, Bulk, from the beginning. [Re: pink_floyd]
    #5088404 - 12/21/05 02:15 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

AMZ,O/I,EQ & Malaysian.
Trays are ALL colonizing a LOT FASTER than I thought they would.
I posted an update picture and comments in the lead off post.
That tray is the first pictured in the spawning pictures.
It is HUGE. It must weigh 22-25 pounds.

Here it is again.  :cheer:

--------------------
Perfection is attained by slow degrees; it requires the hand of time...
[

OfflineOatman2000
-=Outa Space=-
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Planetary Nebula
Trusted Cultivator
    #5089032 - 12/21/05 09:29 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

i find more effective to lay the plastic wrap directly on the substrate. helps fight off arial myc. and makes for a nice substrate "brick"

Great documented grow!!! want to see more pics to come
giving you  :mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2: for a well documented procedure so far!

--------------------
Spawning to COIR
:thumbup:  My Chocolate Recipe
WBS QUART SPAWN JAR PREPERATION
----------------------------

4-PO-DMT; 4-phosphoryloxy-N,N-dimethltryptamine

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
    #5092447 - 12/22/05 01:39 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

You GO girl.  :thumbup: :grin:

I would wager you will make me feel like a grandfather of the shrooms.... you will have sooner than later.

Actually, very very good work & attn to detail.

Nice link on the thermostat control. GOOD find & buy.

Sorry, I did not warn you, those big ass trays tend to heat up.
Good save.

What kind of moisture meter is that?
Never seen one like it.

--------------------

Invisibletak
geo's henchman
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: nowhereland
Re: First Grow, Bulk, from the beginning. [Re: agar]
    #5092558 - 12/22/05 03:19 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

--------------------
The DJ's took pills to stay awake and play for seven days.

OfflineLicense_to_Chill
Stranger
Male

Re: First Grow, Bulk, from the beginning. [Re: tak]
    #5092602 - 12/22/05 04:09 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

This is the probably the best growlog written.  We really need to archive this one.

Best of luck and GREAT JOB! :grin:

--------------------
"I sat on the bus next to God once,
he told me about the true meaning of life...
then he gave me a pretzel..."

InvisibleTippinthru
contented

Re: First Grow, Bulk, from the beginning. [Re: Oatman2000]
    #5092794 - 12/22/05 05:58 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

:inlove:

Thank you fellow Shroomie's, I'm Flattered!

--------------------
[

InvisibleCaptainKirk

Loc: gone
    #5093005 - 12/22/05 08:22 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Outstanding grow log... :thumbup: :thumbup:  very clean and well organized,im sure you will have great results after putting forth and effort like that :cool: :grin:

InvisibleTippinthru
contented

Re: First Grow, Bulk, from the beginning. [Re: CaptainKirk]
    #5093954 - 12/22/05 01:47 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

UPDATE

All trays are colonizing nicely.
Some a tiny little bit slower than others.
I gather the differing colonization speed is the difference in strains.
But, all are coming right along. :heart:

--------------------
[

InvisibleTrippingDuality
cult classic
 User Gallery

#5094781 - 12/22/05 05:24 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

i have to agree, this is a lovely growlog, nice job!! i can't wait to see your pinset. i'm waiting on mine now too. :smile:

--------------------
turn off your mind relax and float downstream

InvisibleTippinthru
contented

Re: First Grow, Bulk, from the beginning. [Re: TrippingDuality]
    #5097174 - 12/23/05 08:26 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Patiently waiting for trays to colonize 110%.
Then, I will add a casing cover, and incubate a bit longer.
Then, expose to day / night light cycle, FAE, and we will see how the pin set develops.

I have my fingers crossed. :hug:

--------------------
[

InvisibleTippinthru
contented

Re: First Grow, Bulk, from the beginning. [Re: agar]
    #5098796 - 12/23/05 05:22 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

agar, It is an old model MICRONTA moisture and light meter.
I bought at a garage sale for $1. :thumbup:

I don't think Micronta makes them anymore. :confused:

I did a google search, and the only thing I could find were Micronta multimeter's for electronic testing at Radio Shack stores.

A few showed up on ebay sales, for around $10.

--------------------
[

InvisibleTippinthru
contented

#5102491 - 12/24/05 04:01 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Here is where one truly must demonstrate PATIENCE.

Trays are colonizing very well.

But, the wait is almost agonizing.

As my father once said, "all in due time".

--------------------
[

Edited by Tippinthru (12/25/05 02:38 PM)

InvisibleTippinthru
contented

#5106693 - 12/26/05 06:18 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

The trays are colonizing nicely.

It appears that some will be ready to add a casing cover to, in 24 / 36 hours.

So, I decided to make up the casing mixture. I chose to make a primarily Vermiculite 50%, and Coir 40%, with about 5% Perlite (for texture), and about 5% Diatomaceous earth (I use it in my garden).

I made the mixture in a bucket, then mixed it well. Then added it to plastic bags, hydrated it, sealed the bags loosely with rubber bands, then micro-waved each bag several times in sequences of 3 minutes each, then sealed the hot bags tight with the rubber bands, then placed them in a box, to cool to room temperature.

Bagged, hydrated, micro-waved, and sealed to cool

--------------------
[

InvisibleTippinthru
contented

#5109654 - 12/26/05 11:36 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

UPDATE Cased

There are more trays cased, but it would be repetitive to post all those pictures.
Back in the incubator they go, until the casing cover colonizes.

--------------------
[

Offlinekeefboy
a friendly parkranger
    #5113072 - 12/27/05 09:11 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

that's what i call showing off

--------------------
"A friend of mine was famous for holding his hits until his face swelled up and turned bright red. The veins in his neck and forehead would bulge and he'd get bug-eyed. He'd start sweating. Then he'd belch the hit out violently, along with plenty of spit, and gasp for air." ~UBAKO

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco All-in-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order