Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineNephlyte
Misfortunate One
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Texas
Humidifier vs Perlite!
    #5084420 - 12/20/05 12:40 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

I'm sure this has been posted plenty of times.

I'm just curious, there seems no downside to perlite. Perhaps it makes the humidity too high sometimes? I don't know, i was hoping y'all would shed some light on what possible downsides to perlite is?

Also, in the same post. Why might i choose a humidifier? Is the best upside to this that you can fine tune your grow chamber? It seems to be more complication than its worth, but i am a noob, perhaps you can help me out.

--------------------
"To do right is to know what you want. Now when you are dissatisfied with yourself it's because you are after something you don't really want. What objects are you proposing to yourself? Are they the objects you really value? If they are not, you are cheating yourself. I don't meant that if you chose to pursue the objects you most value, you will attain them; of course not. Your experience will tell you that. But success in getting after much labor what you really don't care for is the bitterest and most ridiculous failure." -George Santayana

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSnaggletooth
Stranger in a Strange Land
Male User Gallery

Loc: blinks stupidly
Re: Humidifier vs Perlite! [Re: Nephlyte]
    #5084432 - 12/20/05 12:42 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

one thought...what are you using...cakes or cases...

--------------------

Atheist Chat

OfflineMepher
Reverend
Male User Gallery
Loc: Praha, CZK
Re: Humidifier vs Perlite! [Re: Nephlyte]
    #5087975 - 12/20/05 11:34 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

I'm just curious, there seems no downside to perlite. Perhaps it makes the humidity too high sometimes? I don't know, i was hoping y'all would shed some light on what possible downsides to perlite is?

I may be in the minority, but I've had more problems with high humidity than low humidity. Watch out for too much/too wet perlite if using a small "ppor man's" terrarium. Dunked and rolled cakes don't need much damp perlite in a mini terrarium setup.

Quote:

Also, in the same post. Why might i choose a humidifier? Is the best upside to this that you can fine tune your grow chamber? It seems to be more complication than its worth, but i am a noob, perhaps you can help me out.

I found a SUPER nice ultrasonic humidifier at a thrift store for $5, so I figured that was a good reason to try a humidifier setup! The downside was that I wasn't able to regulate the humidity enough with it. Even with small tubing into the FC and keeping the humidifier at the lowest setting I got near 100% humidity, signs of green mold on fresh cakes and casings, and no normal pins. If anything, I'm kind of disappointed that I don't really get tu use my awesome ultrasonic!

With casings you really don't need to augment the humidity of they FC too much, and a light bed of perlite should usually suffice. A good digital hygrometer will really tell you what you need to do. I say a hygrometer is a necessity for a newb, since I initially thought I was low on humidity when I was actually way high.

Mepher

Offlinecoda
Banjo Goiter
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Humidifier vs Perlite! [Re: Mepher]
    #5088049 - 12/20/05 11:50 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Downsides to perlite? It's messy, its a complete pain in the ass to work with, its really really messy, the dust is kicked up is actually really really bad to breath in, it costs money. Other then that there's not to much to be a downside to it, it's just a royal pain in the ass sometimes and truthfully isnt really needed anyways.

--------------------
To get really high is to forget yourself. And to forget yourself is to see everything else. And to see everything else is to become an understanding molecule in evolution, a conscious tool of the universe. And I think every human being should be a conscious tool of the universe. . . .

-JG

i really am glad you came back to us instead of taking the other path. *hug*

-A_S (RIP your final words to me will never be forgotten)

Don't fuck with the laughing jesus.

InvisibleRahz
Alive Again
Male

Re: Humidifier vs Perlite! [Re: coda]
    #5088244 - 12/21/05 12:42 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

The third option is polyfil holes. It's not as discussed, or used, as much as perilite, or humidifiers. It seems like, since I've seen big trays of polyfil hole grown shrooms, it should be considered along with the other two in casing situations, and probably could be modified for PF cakes.

I went with a humidifyer because I wanted to avoid perilite, and now I've grown to hate my humidifier. Changing the water is tedious, and it's fairly loud, though I think mine is defective. It leaks water when it gets low. I still want to avoid perilite, so I'm currently planning a mono tub grow with these polyfil holes.

I have a never ending supply of buckets and plan on testing various size/numbers of holes with my nifty hygrometer before I commit, so hopefully I'll have some kind of data in the near future to contribute.

Rahz

--------------------
rahz

comfort pleasure power love truth awareness peace

"Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free."
~Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate