Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineDivided_Sky
Ten ThousandThings

Loc: The Shining Void
The Most Horribly Stupid Book on "Substance Abuse"
    #5083732 - 12/19/05 08:59 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Lately I have been having some arguments with a freind of mine who works as a Substance Abuse counselor. Despite being intelligence, the stuff she says is usually beligerant, illogicall and doesn't make sense.( http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat...rue#Post5027006 ), Anyhow, yesterday I saw that she brought home a new book. It is entitled The Selfish Brain: Learning from Addiction , by Robert L. DuPont. Mr. DuPont is a former drug Czar and head of NIDA under Nixon, Ford and Carter. The Original "Drug Warrior". The book concerns itself with drug addiction, mainly opiates and stimulants but I had to look into the "Hallucinogen" and marijuana sections.

The stuff I found in his book was rife with prejudace, ignorance, closed-mindedness and often factualy challenged. I noticed that nowhere does he cite any of his 'facts', although many of them are myths that have been debunked many times over.

It makes me very sad that this book is heralded by people in the Substance Abuse profession including my freind. Frankly, I am appalled that anyone takes this man seriously. Anyhow, here are some delightful excerpts.

On Psychedelics

"People high on hallucinogens can be utterly fascinated by the most ordinary experiences. They hear music in new ways, being profoundly moved by the simplest of sounds or rythms. They may look at a pattern in a carpet or a doorknob for hours on end. Ironically, such an effect, labeled by drug proponents as consciousness expansion, is more realisticaly seen as chemically induced brain immaturity or even stupidity. Like a 3-month old infant fascinated by the sight of his hand moving across his field of vision, a person high on LSD or MDMA can be fascinated by a dripping faucet or glowing light bulb. Similarly, simple loud music is popular with many stoned users. The stoned brain does not appreciate complexity or subtlety, and it finds the crudest and most banal stimuli to be amazing." p203

"The hallucinogen high is a mental experience that appeals mostly to risk-taking youth, not to experienced drug users. Hallucinogens are often an entry to into the world of illegal drug use, but they are seldom drugs that illicit drug users stick with over long peroids of time. Unfortunately, some youth never get out of this early phase because the psychotic reactions produced by hallucinogens disorganize their lives and lead to suicides and accidentsm as well as to long term abuse of other drugs, most often marijuana, cocaine and the synthetic stimulants." p204

The Grateful Dead

"The Grateful Dead concerts themselves were tightly organized and totally predictable musical events that began and ended precisely on time, which gave their often disorganized patrons a comforting sense of predictability."p204

HPPD, or rather PHPD

"As hallucinogens have become more popular, treatment centers in Europe and the United States have seen increasing numbers of patients suffering from a combination of anxiety, panic, phobia, depression, and a range of persistant perceptual distortions. This has been labelled posthallucinogen perceptual disorder (PHPD)."p206

Mescaline

"Drug abusers have been unable to distinguish LSD from Mescaline in double-blind scientific studies."p207

LSD

"LSD is often spiked with PCP, strychnine, or methamphetamine."p208

MDMA

"Ecstacy, like PCP, is a messy drug pharmacologically, effecting many brain nuerotransmitter systems...The long term effects of ecstacy are to deplete seratonin. In laboratory animals, including monkeys given similar doses to humans, Ecstacy permanently destroys seratonin containing nuerons."p212

Marijuana

"Marijuana makes users stupid and lazy. It is the 'careless drug' because pot users often lose the capacity to care...Marijuana users often do not come into treatment for their addiction simply because neither they nor those around them can differentiate their true selves from the effects of their drug use. They commonly sink lower and lower in their performance and in their goals in life as their pot smoking continues. Their hopes and lives literally go up in marijuana smoke."p159

"Long terms effects effects of marijuana use are still being researched, but there is growing evidence of permanent brain cell and chromosome damage as well as impairment to logical thinking."p156

Social Policy

Elsewhere in the book he advocates that all business use hair sample drug testing to bar anyone who has used a drug in the last 90 days from employment, as to discourage drug 'addicts' who are in denial of there habits. He also advocates that all school children be drug tested regularly and that harsher criminal penalties be dealt to all drug users. He also advocates for a global drug control agency, and says that drug education is a waste of money and the only way to stop America's drug problem is to punish users so much thatthey are discouraged from drugs. Then he calls this compassionate and humane. "Tough love" for users who in "denial" of their addiction.

--------------------
1. "After an hour I wasn't feeling anything so I decided to take another..."
2. "We were feeling pretty good so we decided to smoke a few bowls..."
3. "I had to be real quiet because my parents were asleep upstairs..."

Edited by Divided_Sky (12/19/05 09:35 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleDNKYD
Turtle!

Re: The Most Horribly Stupid Book on "Substance Abuse" [Re: Divided_Sky]
    #5083751 - 12/19/05 09:06 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Makes me wanna grab a gun and end this bastards miserable existence.

InvisibleHELLA_TIGHT
Madge the Smoking Vag
Female User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Afghanistan Flag
    #5083756 - 12/19/05 09:08 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

It's true.

--------------------

Offlinetheuser
DON'T LOOK
Male User Gallery
Re: The Most Horribly Stupid Book on "Substance Abuse" [Re: HELLA_TIGHT]
    #5083785 - 12/19/05 09:16 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

The "Psychedelics" part is sort of true. Sometimes while on a substance I will see something in a new profound light. After the drug ends I reflect and think "Oh, that was dumb." or "Hey that sounds logical, I think I'll stick with that." It's pretty easy to understand what is a neat idea and what was just stupid drug glee.

The "Marijuana" part is true.

--------------------
:heart:

InvisibleDNKYD
Turtle!

Re: The Most Horribly Stupid Book on "Substance Abuse" [Re: theuser]
    #5083790 - 12/19/05 09:18 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Yup, sure is :rolleyes: :irdumbtard:

InvisibleLe_Canard
The Duk Abides

Loc: Earthfarm 1 Flag
    #5083819 - 12/19/05 09:26 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Divided_Sky said:

"Long terms effects effects of marijuana of marijuans use are still being researched, but there is growing evidence of permanent brain cell and chromosome damage as well as impairment to logical thinking."p156

Oh please!  :rolleyes:

I agree, this is total bullshit.... :shake:

OfflineDivided_Sky
Ten ThousandThings

Re: The Most Horribly Stupid Book on "Substance Abuse" [Re: DNKYD]
    #5083822 - 12/19/05 09:28 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

The part about psychedelic users being unable to appreciate subtlety and complexity gives me a laugh.

I also like the part about users and freinds not being able to recognize marijuana addiction. Maybe that is because they don't have a problem! You think?

--------------------

InvisibleDNKYD
Turtle!

#5083840 - 12/19/05 09:30 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

It's not an addiction. It's a hobby.

Offlinetheuser
DON'T LOOK
Male User Gallery
    #5083848 - 12/19/05 09:33 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Sorry I should clarify.

"Marijuana makes users stupid and lazy." I agree that this is true while a person is heavily smoking pot.

When I was being a "pot head" for 2 months, a few months ago, I became lazy and stupid. I also enjoyed life a LOT more.

:shrug:

--------------------

InvisibleDNKYD
Turtle!

#5083902 - 12/19/05 09:50 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

It's a generalized blanket statement that doesn't hold true for most of the population of pot smokers. It's pure bullshit propaganda.

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
    #5083908 - 12/19/05 09:52 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

I smoke pot every day..multiple times a day usually.
I also work my ass off every day, 50+ hours a week.

I hate blanket statements. I especially hate propoganda. And prohibition.

BOOO to Dupont and BOOOO to dude's friend the substance abuse counseler

--------------------

Offlinefaslimy
Dead Man
 User Gallery
Re: The Most Horribly Stupid Book on "Substance Abuse" [Re: Shroomism]
    #5083920 - 12/19/05 09:59 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

mr dupont can suck my fucking cock

Offlinetheuser
DON'T LOOK
Male User Gallery
Re: The Most Horribly Stupid Book on "Substance Abuse" [Re: Shroomism]
    #5083952 - 12/19/05 10:10 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Shroomism said:
I smoke pot every day..multiple times a day usually.
I also work my ass off every day, 50+ hours a week.

I hate blanket statements. I especially hate propoganda. And prohibition.

BOOO to Dupont and BOOOO to dude's friend the substance abuse counseler

I admire you then. When I smoked post I got sooooooooooo laaaaaaaaazy.

--------------------

Offlinecoda
Banjo Goiter
Male

#5084015 - 12/19/05 10:36 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

i dont understand why the grateful dead comment is in there, ive also never seen a dead show start on time. Fuck, ive never seen ANY show start on time lol.

--------------------
To get really high is to forget yourself. And to forget yourself is to see everything else. And to see everything else is to become an understanding molecule in evolution, a conscious tool of the universe. And I think every human being should be a conscious tool of the universe. . . .

-JG

i really am glad you came back to us instead of taking the other path. *hug*

-A_S (RIP your final words to me will never be forgotten)

Don't fuck with the laughing jesus.

Offlinetactik
Too stoned forthis.
Male User Gallery
    #5084038 - 12/19/05 10:44 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Divided_Sky said:
Their hopes and lives literally go up in marijuana smoke."p159

Is this guy sure he hasn't been hitting the bong too hard? Because there's nothing literal about that statement. Its actually very clearly figurative.

--------------------
Terrapin!

OfflineDaytripper420
Bitchin!

Loc: South carolina
    #5084088 - 12/19/05 10:58 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

theolduser said:
Sorry I should clarify.

"Marijuana makes users stupid and lazy." I agree that this is true while a person is heavily smoking pot.

When I was being a "pot head" for 2 months, a few months ago, I became lazy and stupid. I also enjoyed life a LOT more.

:shrug:

you cant just "be" a pot head for 2 months. being a pot head is a life style. just cause you binge on some wee for about 2 months doesnt make you a pot head it takes a lot more than 2 months to get the o'so commone "haze" over everyday life.

--------------------
Turn on, Tune in, Drop out.

Offlinetheuser
DON'T LOOK
Male User Gallery
Re: The Most Horribly Stupid Book on "Substance Abuse" [Re: Daytripper420]
    #5084203 - 12/19/05 11:26 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Ahh then I binged.

--------------------

InvisibleTheDude
is waiting forthe peak

Re: The Most Horribly Stupid Book on "Substance Abuse" [Re: Daytripper420]
    #5084211 - 12/19/05 11:30 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Daytripper420 said:
you cant just "be" a pot head for 2 months. being a pot head is a life style. just cause you binge on some wee for about 2 months doesnt make you a pot head it takes a lot more than 2 months to get the o'so commone "haze" over everyday life.

gotta love the haze

--------------------
"this lebowski he called himself 'the dude'. now, 'dude', that's a name no one would self-apply where i come from but there was a lot about the dude that didn't make sense to me...."--the Stranger

InvisibleToolTroll
tourettic
Male User Gallery

Loc: N. Cack
Re: The Most Horribly Stupid Book on "Substance Abuse" [Re: TheDude]
    #5084350 - 12/20/05 12:15 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Ha! Yeah, I've worked hard to achieve my pot head status, it's a daily thing but it's also about the long term ( like about 8 years for me). Stoners have a reputation to uphold, these lightweight temporary smokers can't be called potheads. Where's the haze? :smile:

--------------------
"This whole idea that different is bad, that a change in consciousness is in itself harmful, is really one of the fundamental problems inherent in the drug war.” - Rick Doblin
my cactus collection
You vote with your dollars. Everyday. Vote responsibly.

OfflineDivided_Sky
Ten ThousandThings

Re: The Most Horribly Stupid Book on "Substance Abuse" [Re: coda]
    #5084675 - 12/20/05 02:40 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

coda said:
i dont understand why the grateful dead comment is in there, ive also never seen a dead show start on time. Fuck, ive never seen ANY show start on time lol.

It was just another example of the bullshit the guy says. I think he is trying to imply that 'druggie' Dead Heads are too mentally retarded to handle anything but the most predictable schedule.

If Dead shows were the same everynight nobody would follow them around. It would get boring pretty fast.

Anyway, the man just pulled that out of his ass to try to make people that use psychedelics look like morons, but it only shows his own ignorance and tendancy to make up shit.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale