Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleJim
 User Gallery

Seasonal Depression
    #5074305 - 12/17/05 03:13 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

the winter time always brings bad bouts of depression my way. it becomes increasingly difficult for me just to stay awake during the daytime. no desire to get out of bed in the morning, but at night i just don't want to go to bed.

my sleep schedule has suffered quite a bit.

Sometimes, for no reason, I will catch myself tearing up.

i am out of school for semester break so i can almost justify this pattern.

does this happen to anyone else over the winter? from my understanding it is quite common.

--------------------
Use the Fucking Reply To Feature You Lazy Pieces of Shit!

afoaf said:
Jim, if you were in my city, I would let you fuck my wife.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleJim
 User Gallery

Re: Seasonal Depression [Re: Jim]
    #5074322 - 12/17/05 03:34 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

I just realized how close I am to a break down.

--------------------

afoaf said:

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
    #5074350 - 12/17/05 04:04 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

I've been taking some 5htp once a day and it seems to really help my moods.  Sorry things are hard... :heart: :hug:

InvisibleJim
 User Gallery

Re: Seasonal Depression [Re: MOTH]
    #5074353 - 12/17/05 04:06 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

things shouldn't be hard. i really have nothing to complain about. i have a wonderful girlfriend, with a nice apartment and three adorable rabbits.

it is the lack of sunshine that does me in!

--------------------

afoaf said:

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
    #5074364 - 12/17/05 04:22 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

yeah, sometimes it's just hard to see the bright side of things, especially in the dimmer months.  Makes everything seem more overwelming.  I know it sounds cliche, but after I had a breakdown last week what has really helped me is doing yoga.  I bought a DVD off of Amazon.com and do 30 minutes of yoga a day.  It's made me feel pretty powerful. And drinking lots of black tea.  I feel like I have loads of energy and high spirits now, + the 5htp helps I'm sure.  Or maybe my mood is just doing its "up" thing again.

Anyway, sometimes there is no "outer reason" to feel low.  There might be an inner reason one has to confront instead or perhaps a personal need that desires to be acknowledged.  I don't know, I'm just kinda floating in the same boat you are.  :smile:  The way I see it, we must do what we can to keep sailing onwards despite the weather.  :sun:

Offlinekotik
fuckingsuperhero
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Re: Seasonal Depression [Re: MOTH]
    #5074442 - 12/17/05 05:54 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

dont worry, seasonal depression is pretty common as far as I can tell.

chances are, you will be feeling like a million bucks in early 2006, whether or not you order a whole bunch of self-help crap on amazon.

--------------------
No statements made in any post or message by myself should be construed to mean that I am now, or have ever been, participating in or considering participation in any activities in violation of any local, state, or federal laws. All posts are works of fiction.

Invisiblebert
bodhi

Loc: state
    #5074740 - 12/17/05 10:00 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Have you tried light therapy at all? It's the most effective cure for Seasonal Affective Disorder. Combined with melatonin for you sleep schedule this should do the trick. http://www.sada.org.uk/

OfflineThe_Red_Crayon
Exposer of Truth
Male User Gallery

Loc: Smokey Mtns. TN Flag
    #5074789 - 12/17/05 10:30 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

GratefulJim said:
the winter time always brings bad bouts of depression my way. it becomes increasingly difficult for me just to stay awake during the daytime. no desire to get out of bed in the morning, but at night i just don't want to go to bed.

my sleep schedule has suffered quite a bit.

Sometimes, for no reason, I will catch myself tearing up.

i am out of school for semester break so i can almost justify this pattern.

does this happen to anyone else over the winter? from my understanding it is quite common.

Im in the exact same situation as well. Down in Atlanta its incredibly miserable. It always gets 30 or 40 degrees and too much rain.

My Bipolar gets real bad this time of the year. Every year.

InvisibleZippoZM
Knomadic
 User Gallery

Loc: Pongyang, North Korea
Re: Seasonal Depression [Re: The_Red_Crayon]
    #5074814 - 12/17/05 10:45 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

i was also goig to recomend light therapy, it seems to help out alot. i konw that my father was using it.

personally if you really want to get out of this funk, and you are off for the semester break, get in your car, or on a greyhoound and head down to miami. Sandy beaches, warm air and an inviting sky do wonders.

every winter aroud january i get in my car and drive somewhere waram. without that id go nuts.

--------------------
PEACE

:mushroom2:zippoz:mushroom2:

"in times of widespread chaos and confusion, it has been the duty of more advanced human beings - artists, scientists, clowns, and philosophers - to create order. In such times as ours however, when there is too much order, too much m management, too much programming and control, it becomes the duty of superior men and women and women to fling their favorite monkey wrenches into the machinery. To relieve the repression of the human spirit, they must sow doubt and disruption"

"People do it every day, they talk to themselves ... they see themselves as they'd like to be, they don't have the courage you have, to just run with it."

InvisibleJim
 User Gallery

Re: Seasonal Depression [Re: bert]
    #5075759 - 12/17/05 04:18 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

full spectrum lighting is something I have to get back into.

--------------------

afoaf said:

Offlineeris
underground
Male User Gallery

Loc: North East, USA
    #5076158 - 12/17/05 07:02 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

I think that this type of depression is more common than it may seem. I remember being effected by it in my younger days.
The cold weather, combined with the drastic scenery change outdoors can be somewhat of a shock to the mind. Everything seems to have a dead look to it - like the trees, ground, etc. Of course this depends on what region you are from..
Not only that but lots of activities and hobbies that can take place during the summer are not possible in the winter.
One thing that I noticed which really helped was to not think about it too much. I would try to develop more hobbies or interests that could take place in the winter, mostly indoor stuff.
Instead of counting the days until summer, learn to admire the beauty of winter.. every season has it's advantages.. I know this might not make sense to a depressed person. When I was suffering from it, I didn't want to hear anything about solutions cause I was convinced nothing worked.. Everything from medicine to trying to using full spectrum indoor lighting didn't work for me. Only time and a change in the outlook of life was able to cure me of it.

--------------------
Immortal / Temporarily Retired
The OG Thread Killer
My mushroom hunting gallery

OfflineLocus
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #5076934 - 12/17/05 11:16 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

yeah id also say the light therapy as its helped a lot of people. other than that its either meds or dealing with it. if youve done light therapy before and its helped than why arent you now? well i hope things get better for you man, peace.

--------------------

The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. One cannot help but be in awe when he contemplates the mysteries of eternity, of life, of the marvelous structure of reality. It is enough if one tries merely to comprehend a little of this mystery every day. Never lose a holy curiosity. ~ Albert Einstein
"Fear is the great barrier to human growth." ~ Dr. Robert Monroe

~~~*Dosis sola facit venenum*~~~

*Check my profile to listen to my music* :smile:

InvisibleLouiseLouise
starstruck
Male User Gallery

Loc: Searching w/my good eye c...
    #5077044 - 12/17/05 11:49 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

You're bringin back memories on me, kid. Jim, I must say that I have not felt like that since I lived in the south. But I have always felt like it was the light, for example, right around this time every year, I'd start to feel like the whole world was deppressed and dark. Here it is, almost christmas, and again, I can't remember feeling this way since I lived up there.
The therapy and supplements sound like it could work wonders, I wish i had such a great place as the shroomery back in the day
What great advice and response.
Keep on truckin GJ :peace:

--------------------
"That's why you get in close to them, and then take the picture!! Don't be a pussy!" ~CC

InvisiblePyjamas
Stranger
Re: Seasonal Depression [Re: LouiseLouise]
    #5077560 - 12/18/05 09:06 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Hmmm.

A long time ago my parents used to send me to a this women's house. She had like a big box on a table with a dark hood covering the front. I had to sit in it looking through a porthole with different colours (no wonder I like psychedelics) while listening to stories on tape. Each time would last an hour or so.

I can't remember speaking to her, or why I was even there. My parent's always said it was to help my reading ...? But now I'm thinking did they think I was depressed or something!?

Very odd.

--------------------
. . . Lime and limpid green, the sound surrounds the icy waters underground . . .

InvisibleJim
 User Gallery

Re: Seasonal Depression [Re: Locus]
    #5080500 - 12/19/05 12:43 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Locus said:
if youve done light therapy before and its helped than why arent you now?

money was the issue. sounds crazy but I live from check to check and spending $5 on a lightbulb was issue.

I splurged today and bought them.

--------------------

afoaf said:

Invisiblemoog
Stranger

#5083060 - 12/19/05 06:15 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

I get this too... i hate the winter. it's cold all day long and dark for 2/3 of the day. It sucks, but well, what are you gonna do? I actually go tanning in the winter, not just to look good, but because UV rays are naturally anti-depressant.. It helps in the winter when you're not able to catch rays from the sun.

But anyway, winter solstice is coming up real soon, and the days start to get longer again! So at least that's something to look forward to.

InvisibleZippoZM
Knomadic
 User Gallery

Loc: Pongyang, North Korea
Re: Seasonal Depression [Re: moog]
    #5083638 - 12/19/05 08:30 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

report back to us, let us konw how the light therapy works for you :smile:

--------------------
PEACE

:mushroom2:zippoz:mushroom2:

"in times of widespread chaos and confusion, it has been the duty of more advanced human beings - artists, scientists, clowns, and philosophers - to create order. In such times as ours however, when there is too much order, too much m management, too much programming and control, it becomes the duty of superior men and women and women to fling their favorite monkey wrenches into the machinery. To relieve the repression of the human spirit, they must sow doubt and disruption"

"People do it every day, they talk to themselves ... they see themselves as they'd like to be, they don't have the courage you have, to just run with it."

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder