Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineNESpores
Formerly MyLady
Male User Gallery

Loc: Vermont USA
I'm making the best of Heating Pads, but what other ways are there?
    #5073084 - 12/16/05 08:00 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Here is my heat pad setup...

My heating pad (that was found in my attic) fits perfectly inside a priority mail box, one of the skinny ones you can get for free that is.

the heat setting on low, the timer on for two hours at a time, then off for one. and a closeup of the timer.

some jars and bags:

some more bags to recycle wasted heat are also placed on top of all the jars, and a thin poly blanket to cover the whole thing (with lid on loosly) ONCE. I folded the blanket in two and covered it, and temps rocketed up to 95, so only 1 thin layer of blanket can be used.
the temp of the cardboard hovers around 91F, and then all the air between the box and the top of the 1 pint jars is from 78-85F

What are some other ways to heat an incubator? I can NOT do the double tub with water heater. out of the question for me, just leave it at that.

i was looking at these:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=11291&N=2006+22787

Produces no light, only 16 bucks (cheaper than a water heater), and says 'just the right temperature for lizards and such'. I researched that and it means 75-85 degrees. i was thinking make a shelf inside the incubator that allows air flow and have the jars high enough so the temp at the top would be like 84 degrees, then the air around the jars would be in the low-mid 80's

are there any other ways?

oh and btw i also thought of heating water to like 90 degrees and pumping it through aquarium tubing that wraps around the jars and stuff... but i couldn't find a water pump for under 20 bucks (locally i mean) and online places only accepted certain types of credit cards.

i really need some help guys! the heating pad is buggin me.

one last thing... don't bug me about the dangers of heating pads... they are safe if they are on a timer.

peace, and thanks again for any help!

--------------------
Did your grow fail, and now your out of spores? Problem Solved. Check out my CakeSaver Tek.
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/5236115/an/0/page/0

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineNESpores
Formerly MyLady
Male User Gallery

Re: I'm making the best of Heating Pads, but what other ways are there? [Re: NESpores]
    #5073251 - 12/16/05 08:47 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

*waits an hour*

so i take it nobody knows of any other incubation methods???

--------------------
Did your grow fail, and now your out of spores? Problem Solved. Check out my CakeSaver Tek.

OfflineSnaggletooth
Stranger in a Strange Land
Male User Gallery

Loc: blinks stupidly
Re: I'm making the best of Heating Pads, but what other ways are there? [Re: NESpores]
    #5073282 - 12/16/05 08:55 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Yeah ok...here's the thing... start with a heat source, then the container and the only other suggestion is to keep it moist(clean) in there so the Jars/ Bags dry out.

You also have to think long term or just now...

There is a lot that you can get away with if it's just for now...

How about the Heat Bomb?

Reptile heaters (though I wouldn't not suggest it)

I have not seen many other ideas that weren't a tit in someway..
As you know the tit is a great method but it does not work for you...

Why not maybe there would be a way around it..

P.S. you suck and owe me another game

--------------------

Atheist Chat

OfflineNESpores
Formerly MyLady
Male User Gallery

Re: I'm making the best of Heating Pads, but what other ways are there? [Re: Snaggletooth]
    #5073304 - 12/16/05 09:04 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

^^^lol, im tired and so i found that last line VERY amuzing, i almost fell out of bed!
i'd challenge you now but im tired... i can't let you win, can i? :wink:

ill kick your ass AGAIN some other time :laugh:

good night, and if any body else has any knowledge, or even crazy ideas, please share them with me!

--------------------

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
    #5073313 - 12/16/05 09:05 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Tall half gallon glass pickle jar (with water), with a thermostat dial control aquarium heater inserted through the lid. Heater & lid silicone sealed. Set it, adjust a few times & it's good for almost ever.

Wire guts & control out of an electric blanket also work.
Thrift store $5.

--------------------

OfflineNESpores
Formerly MyLady
Male User Gallery

Re: I'm making the best of Heating Pads, but what other ways are there? [Re: agar]
    #5073377 - 12/16/05 09:23 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

agar, you mean a heatbomb> but with picckle jar? and i thought about the heating blanket thing, but havent found any for cheap, yet.
and to clear things up, i said i couldn't do a classic TIT because i cant afford a water heater with temp control they run like 60 bucks here.
holy shit, just got an awesome idea! but i don't think it will be big enough... it's a tit but with my current heating pad under the bottom container.
here's a pic:

basically id cut a hole in the center of a bucket and put a 3.5 inch piece of thin copper pipe that i have laying around in the hole. the water gets heated by the heat pad and the vapor should find it's way up the chamber, spreading heat to the jars in the bucket.

the only thing i dont like is that i'd have to turn the jars all the time.... maybe if i bought one of those awesome emergency blankets, it would reflect most of the heat back torwards the bucket and problem solved. maybe?

--------------------

OfflineSnaggletooth
Male User Gallery

Re: I'm making the best of Heating Pads, but what other ways are there? [Re: agar]
    #5073396 - 12/16/05 09:28 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

agar said:
Tall half gallon glass pickle jar (with water), with a thermostat dial control aquarium heater inserted through the lid. Heater & lid silicone sealed. Set it, adjust a few times & it's good for almost ever.

Thrift store $5.

^^
Thats neat..no vents needed.???

and yeah next time........................................

--------------------

Atheist Chat

Edited by Snaggletooth (12/16/05 09:29 PM)

Invisiblemusher_420
Stranger

#5073407 - 12/16/05 09:31 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Look online for a fishtank heater. There is no way you should have to spend 60 bucks.

--------------------
My Humidifier Reservoir Expansion Tek

Must read links for beginners

Btw- You are not what you own!

OfflineSnaggletooth
Male User Gallery

Re: I'm making the best of Heating Pads, but what other ways are there? [Re: musher_420]
    #5073432 - 12/16/05 09:37 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

ok ok...where do you live...why $60

I have an extra 100w aquarium heater I could be persuade to part with it...

maybe a bet on a game.....haha

whatever let me know...

--------------------

Atheist Chat

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: I'm making the best of Heating Pads, but what other ways are there? [Re: Snaggletooth]
    #5073647 - 12/16/05 10:36 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Snaggletooth said:
Quote:

agar said:

Thrift store $5.

^^
Thats neat..no vents needed.???

and yeah next time........................................

NO VENT. Just leave a 1/4 or 3/8ths of air space inside the jar.
Liquid expands a little - when it gets hot.

Besides the dial temp on the heater, use one of those cheap stick on aquarium color change thermometers on right on the jar.

You can even fill the jar with Canola oil, if you wish.

--------------------

Offlinelordoftheshroomz
recoveringaddict
 User Gallery

Loc: wouldn't you like to kno ...
    #5073670 - 12/16/05 10:44 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

if u've got deep enough pockets, like in the $200+ range you can get an incubator on ebay, they are usually jus like metal boxes with some ort of thermostatically regulated heating system. they are rather luxuriously appealing.

--------------------
MY Glove Box, Automated Terrarium, and Incubator
Lil' Wyte, Three Six Mafia, Project Pat will bring it to ya door if theres ana on ya chest.
THE PATRIOT ACT MAY BE THE DOOM OF US ALL! THEY CAN GET THINGS LIKE YOUR MEDICAL/LEGAL RECORDS, YOUR INTERNET HISTORY, YOUR GOOGLE SEARCH INFORMATION, ALL WITHOUT PROBABLE CAUSE OR A WARRANT! ALSO NO ONE CAN LEGALLY TELL YOU. YOU'LL NEVER KNOW UNTIL IT'S TOO LATE, THIS ISN'T EXACTLY A FREE COUNTRY ANYMORE NOW IS IT? THEY ARE DESTROYING THIS COUNTRY SO THEY CAN GET RICHER! THE WAR IN IRAQ ACCOMPLISHED NOTHING! HELP GET THE CONSERVATIVE RIGHT WING-NUTS OUT OF POWER, MAKE AN EDUCATED VOTE!

OfflineSnaggletooth
Male User Gallery

Re: I'm making the best of Heating Pads, but what other ways are there? [Re: lordoftheshroomz]
    #5073683 - 12/16/05 10:49 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

yes i have looked...some of them need a co2(or something)gas hook up..

And some of them might work...but they look like they went through Chernobyl :cool:

--------------------

Atheist Chat

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #5073807 - 12/16/05 11:29 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

DEAD upright FREEZER....FREE from most appliance repair places.

Heat bomb will heat it.

Coolmist will provide FAE & raise Rh.

Ultrasonic will provide HIGH humidity

One compact fluorescent screw in type bulb will provide light.

Everything can be ran on a timer, for automation.

Doesn't look out of place in a spare room or garage.

Can be LOCKED....... :thumbup:

--------------------

InvisibleMagash
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
    #5073958 - 12/17/05 12:36 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Use one of these with your idea and it will control the temp for you and get rid of the need for the timer.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

InvisibleTippinthru
contented

Loc: "The Garden"...
Re: I'm making the best of Heating Pads, but what other ways are there? [Re: Magash]
    #5074156 - 12/17/05 01:38 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Cough  :stoned:, that is a manual dial control rheostat.
Not an automatic thermostat. :tongue:

Look  here .

Edit: If you have deeper pockets, look  here.

--------------------
Perfection is attained by slow degrees; it requires the hand of time...
[

Edited by Tippinthru (12/17/05 01:50 AM)

Invisibletiny_rabid_birds
Nocturnal
 User Gallery

Loc: estados unidos
Re: I'm making the best of Heating Pads, but what other ways are there? [Re: Tippinthru]
    #5074292 - 12/17/05 02:59 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Wait wait.. so you can't do TIT because you can't find a submersible water heater under 60 bucks? that's insane, is there no walmart where you live? I got one from walmart for like.. 12 bucks or something like that. Although I don't know the wattage off the top of my head and I can't check because it's not with me at present. But I mean it's adjustable and it most certainly heats water well enough.

--------------------

OfflineNESpores
Formerly MyLady
Male User Gallery

Re: I'm making the best of Heating Pads, but what other ways are there? [Re: tiny_rabid_birds]
    #5074946 - 12/17/05 11:29 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

my walmart only has one model (for tiny aquariums) and its 30 bucks. the ones with the automatic thermostat thing are like 60 bucks at the pet store, some are even 100. no joke.
i think im gonna get myself a Electronic thermostat like Magash said, it will solve all my problems.

peace and thanks so much, everybody.

--------------------

InvisibleJaeger
Dreamer
Re: I'm making the best of Heating Pads, but what other ways are there? *DELETED* [Re: NESpores]
    #5075124 - 12/17/05 12:15 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Post deleted by Jaeger

Reason for deletion: .

OfflineHappyNappy
Stranger

Re: I'm making the best of Heating Pads, but what other ways are there? [Re: Jaeger]
    #5075176 - 12/17/05 12:30 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

I just got a cheap space heater for about $15 and put it on the floor in my closet where my incubator is and it keeps a pretty steady 85F in the incubator. You can usually adjust them to turn on and off in order to regulate temp. Works perfect for me but you may have a different set of circumstances, like no closet to contain the heat.

--------------------
Everything I post in this forum is entirely false.

InvisibleMagash
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
    #5075569 - 12/17/05 02:59 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Damn the heaters I use in this old post didn't even cost 60 bucks.

Incubator set up.

1. First thing get your bottom tub and put in your heater. I also add a water pump to mix the water that way it heats up much more evenly but it isn?t a necessary item. I got the tape from a boat shop and it has been working for some time. Good stuff for underwater.

2. Next put something (I used tall half pints) in each corner of the tub. This will keep the heater and pump safe from being smashed if I put in to many jars or do something stupid.

3. Now be sure to set the heater before you put on the top tub. I attach the top tub with zip ties cause the top tub will want to float.

4. Add the water. I like to add as much water as I can before it starts to spill out.

5. If you use the heaters with the external controls set them now to get ready for the jars. Mine use a dial and a sensor that gives the temp inside the chamber rather then the water. It also has a metal bulb rather then a glass one.

6. Finished

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale