Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflinehEAtOniKgun
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Western Wa.
Cyan Mycelium question
    #5060498 - 12/13/05 11:53 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Ok my plan is that tomorrow im gonna go down to the local park, and get about a plastic bag full of mycelium, im wondering if the best way to make the mycelium grow more abundantly should be by watering the mycelium and storing them tied in the plastic bad, and put them in my closet for about a month, and if I could add fresh woodchips to this and eventually mycelium wood appear on the new woodchips.

Im wondering if this is a good idea for mycelium growth or if there are any other better ways or if there is anything wrong what I am doing. Thanks.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblekoraks
Re: Cyan Mycelium question [Re: hEAtOniKgun]
    #5060877 - 12/14/05 02:53 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Putting it in a plastic bag in your closet will effectively transplant the mycelium to an environment very different (in terms of humidity, temperature, air) from its natural habitat. As you do it so suddenly, my guess would be that the mycelium and substrate simply start to rot and are useless after a week or so. Why not transplant it directly into your garden or use the mycelium to spawn a regular growbag?

OfflinehEAtOniKgun
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Western Wa.
Re: Cyan Mycelium question [Re: koraks]
    #5063386 - 12/14/05 05:01 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Yeah but mycelium wont grow with the same temperature as sprouting cyans (or atleast i think?), but i know mycelium growth is best at indoor temp, 70 degrees or so, and in a damp, humid place and the mycelium will slowly build.

Edited by hEAtOniKgun (12/14/05 05:47 PM)

Offlinedidjin_d
mmm....
 User Gallery

Loc: PNW
    #5067868 - 12/15/05 04:03 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

I'm trying a similar project.

I soaked some corrugated cardboard then drained the excess water.  I seperated the cardboard into a few different plastic bags, then placed bits of mycelium in the bags with the cardboard.

They are now sitting in my room. It has been a few weeks and the mycelium is definitely growing on the cardboad in some places. Unfortunatley it has been going pretty slow (probably because I live in a refrigerator, avg room temp of +/- 55 farenheit).

In TMC a method is mentioned where virgin Cyan spawn is collected wild, then grown out on jars of rye, then inoculated on cardboard (due to cardboard's low contamination rates). I figured I would skip the grain and go straight to the cardboard. I'm going LOW-Tech. But we'll see what happens. :wink:

-DD

--------------------
" learning how to cook will save you money, usually make you healthier, and occasionally get you laid. "
-Shags420

"Most of the people who ask the question 'Do any psilocybin mushrooms grow around here?' would rather change their way of looking at reality rather than face the difficult and discouraging task of transforming reality itself"
-David Aurora, Mushrooms Demystified

Offlinegwum
gwum
 User Gallery

Loc: Kent, England
Re: Cyan Mycelium question [Re: didjin_d]
    #5074850 - 12/17/05 11:00 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

I've got some woodchips that I picked up from a cyan patch in a jam jar with some cardboard, some cyan stem butts in between cardboard that I wet periodically and a plastic bag full of mycelium covered chips all sat in my handy 2nd refrigerator.

The idea was to see what happened and then throw the lot in a wood chip pile I'm building. Low tech for sure, but it's costing me nothing  :smile:

--------------------
who knows, who cares, who dares to question?

Edited by gwum (12/17/05 12:19 PM)

Anonymous

Re: Cyan Mycelium question [Re: gwum]
    #5074970 - 12/17/05 11:35 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

You can actually go to the park and get cyan mycelium? Well damn..Too bad cyans don't grow around where I live.

Offlinegwum
gwum
 User Gallery

Re: Cyan Mycelium question [Re: Anonymous]
    #5075139 - 12/17/05 12:18 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

For sure, if you check out my posts in the hunting section, you'll see cyan habitat pics. I grabbed a bag of the chips with plenty of mycelium on them. Don't know if the experiments will work, but nothing to lose :cool:

--------------------

InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montana
Trusted Cultivator
    #5075394 - 12/17/05 01:42 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

You shouldn't destroy a patch to start your own patch.

You should start with a Cyan print and start your own mycelium.

People like you destroy patches all over my City...and it really pisses me off!~

:badidea:

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

Offlinegwum
gwum
 User Gallery

Re: Cyan Mycelium question [Re: Roadkill]
    #5075446 - 12/17/05 02:03 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

No ones talking about "destroying" a patch. There are huge piles of chips which are brought in and then distributed to the various areas of the park. I don't see how taking from this pile is destroying a patch.

I'd never do anything to jeapordise an isolated patch.

--------------------

Offlinedidjin_d
mmm....
 User Gallery

Loc: PNW
    #5075529 - 12/17/05 02:40 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

There are ways of getting mycelium without destroying a patch.

Sometimes a little mycelium comes up with a mushroom, This is NOT going to kill a patch.
It is possible to make a whole lot of mycelium from just a tiny piece from the wild, just grow it out on grain, woodchips or cardboard.

Now taking bagfulls of woodchips from one area....that might do some damage.
If anyone does decide to take colonized woodchips you could atleast be tidy, and cover any exposed Myc. with new chips. It a lot of people off seeing the remnants a Cyan patch sprawled all over.:foreheadslap:

-DD

--------------------
" learning how to cook will save you money, usually make you healthier, and occasionally get you laid. "
-Shags420

"Most of the people who ask the question 'Do any psilocybin mushrooms grow around here?' would rather change their way of looking at reality rather than face the difficult and discouraging task of transforming reality itself"
-David Aurora, Mushrooms Demystified

Offlinegwum
gwum
 User Gallery

Re: Cyan Mycelium question [Re: didjin_d]
    #5075559 - 12/17/05 02:54 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Absolutely right, it's all about being responsible. Any disturbance to the mycelium,no matter how small, should be made good with chips placed back on top.

I've seen large quantities of chips taken from individual patches and seen the patch die.

I witnessed whole sods of earth being dug up from a field of libs years ago and the net result was that within 2 seasons the whole field stopped fruiting.

--------------------

Anonymous

#5075573 - 12/17/05 03:00 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

That sucks man...I wish I lived in England or at least some state that has Cyans. All we have here are Cubensis(I'm not complaining but i've never hunted) and Caerulipes(sp?)

Offlinegwum
gwum
 User Gallery

Re: Cyan Mycelium question [Re: Anonymous]
    #5075584 - 12/17/05 03:08 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Cyans are not thought to be native to the UK and are being brought in on woodchips from either the US or some say Eastern Europe. They are becoming more widespread, but not prolific. I'm doing my best to help in the distribution process here in the south east.

I'm currently tracing the provider of the wood chips sold to the local woodland trust in an effort to trace their origin.

--------------------

Anonymous

#5075591 - 12/17/05 03:12 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

I wonder if they could be brought to NC?

InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #5077715 - 12/18/05 10:25 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

gwum said:
No ones talking about "destroying" a patch. There are huge piles of chips which are brought in and then distributed to the various areas of the park. I don't see how taking from this pile is destroying a patch.

I'd never do anything to jeapordise an isolated patch.

Quote:

didjin_d said:
There are ways of getting mycelium without destroying a patch.

Sometimes a little mycelium comes up with a mushroom, This is NOT going to kill a patch.
It is possible to make a whole lot of mycelium from just a tiny piece from the wild, just grow it out on grain, woodchips or cardboard.

Now taking bagfulls of woodchips from one area....that might do some damage.
If anyone does decide to take colonized woodchips you could atleast be tidy, and cover any exposed Myc. with new chips. It a lot of people off seeing the remnants a Cyan patch sprawled all over.:foreheadslap:

-DD

At least your not destroying patches.  :smile:

I have seen over 20 patches destroyed in the Seattle area this Cyan season.

Whole bed's pulled out of the ground...
and it really makes me upset when I see this kind of destruction.

Part of a patch over near the University of Washington that was completely pulled out of the ground...

:crazy:

tc

--------------------
Laterz, Road

You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:

Offlinecoda
Banjo Goiter
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #5077760 - 12/18/05 10:45 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

That's sad, when i was in boyscouts they always taught us to leave areas just as we saw them.  Every rock that was turned over needed to be put back to where it was turned from, why people do this shit is beyond me, for 20 bucks you can get some cyan spores and cultivate them in your house more easily then you can dealing with a transplant.

Sorry to hear about the senseless destruction RK, that's pretty shitty.

As to the orig poster, good luck propagating the cyan species in your country :smile:

--------------------
To get really high is to forget yourself. And to forget yourself is to see everything else. And to see everything else is to become an understanding molecule in evolution, a conscious tool of the universe. And I think every human being should be a conscious tool of the universe. . . .

-JG

i really am glad you came back to us instead of taking the other path. *hug*

-A_S (RIP your final words to me will never be forgotten)

Don't fuck with the laughing jesus.

InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Cyan Mycelium question [Re: coda]
    #5077776 - 12/18/05 10:51 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

coda said:

Sorry to hear about the senseless destruction RK, that's pretty shitty.

Thanks bro!~

I was out hunting Cyans with John...aka mushroom john.

Here is a better picture of 1 of the destroyed patches...

As you can see they took all the mycelium and woodchips with them.

:crazy:

Mother nature is crying over this.

tc

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Brainiac said:

Offlinecoda
Banjo Goiter
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #5077785 - 12/18/05 10:54 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

yah, and its not like they've done anything to repair the earth either.  Spread some grass seed, cover it with sand like you do on a golf course, hell just leave the friggin myc alone and come back when its time to harvest heheh.

ah well, people have been, and will always be, senseless morons.  Well, at least some of them anyways. :smile:

--------------------
To get really high is to forget yourself. And to forget yourself is to see everything else. And to see everything else is to become an understanding molecule in evolution, a conscious tool of the universe. And I think every human being should be a conscious tool of the universe. . . .

-JG

i really am glad you came back to us instead of taking the other path. *hug*

-A_S (RIP your final words to me will never be forgotten)

Don't fuck with the laughing jesus.

Offlinegwum
gwum
 User Gallery

Re: Cyan Mycelium question [Re: coda]
    #5077854 - 12/18/05 11:29 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

It seems that I'm the only one who has noticed the cyans in the woodchip areas, but I don't think it will stay that way for long.

Interestingly, on the day I found them there was a fungi foray with around 30 people attending. They were all sent out in the woods to bring back specimens for the head mycoligist to identify. I could not believe this, as people were walking around with all sorts with whole chunks of soil and mycelium attached.

I watched from around 50 yds away when they re-grouped, but could see no one with Cyans. Did the head guy warn people about picking from the woodchip beds or did people immediately run to the woods!

Anyway, I inspected my goods today and the contents of my "bag" filled a single jam jar, so I now have 2 of those and two cardboard runners.

Sorry if you guys had an image of a brit walking through the wilderness with a 10 gallon bag full of mycelium with a crater in the distance. :cool:

--------------------

InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #5077869 - 12/18/05 11:39 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

gwum said:

Sorry if you guys had an image of a brit walking through the wilderness with a 10 gallon bag full of mycelium with a crater in the distance. :cool:

np

We just had a bad year here with mycelium thiefs...

and I went on a rant!~

:smile:

:peace:

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Brainiac said:

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order