Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMattyFresh67
Stranger
treasure coast in wheat bran and verm
    #500117 - 12/24/01 01:31 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

I made a substrate of about 1/3 wheat bran and the 2/3 vermiculite and innoculated the jars about a week and a half ago and have seen no mycelial growth. does anything sound wrong with the substrate? How long does treausre cost take to grow?

--------------------
HIP_HOP NATIONALITY

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Anonymous

Re: treasure coast in wheat bran and verm [Re: MattyFresh67]
    #500200 - 12/24/01 03:43 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

I think the wheat bran is harder for the mycellium to digest than flour, whole grain or dung - much for the same reasons we humans don't digest bran. Mushrooms feed on decaying matter or dung because many of the nutrients have been broken down into simpler components already and the fungi don't always produce the enzymes necessary to break everything down themselves. I would think you should get some mycellium growth, though you might have problems getting it to fruit if it can't access more nutrients easily.

Check the temperature, this time of year (in the northern hemisphere) you'll probably need some means to get the temps up.

There are other things such as high moisture content and spore viability which may also be affecting growth.

Edited by evolving (12/24/01 03:46 PM)

OfflineSolipsis
m̶a̶d̶ disappointed scientist
Male User Gallery

Loc: the Neitherlands Flag
Re: treasure coast in wheat bran and verm [Re: MattyFresh67]
    #18062725 - 04/05/13 02:22 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

Hi,

I am also trying to grow on a wheat bran and verm mixture (cakes and a filter bag), the filter bag shows no signs after about a week and I am not directly in a position to check on the jars.

9 cups of bran and 11 cups of verm turned out to make a consistency that seemed to my liking. I had not taken into account the kind of nutrients needed (like smaller saccharides?)

I bought the bran in bulk, now for future reference to make the substrate more suitable for Cubes, should I add something like rice flour? What are my options?
Can anyone comment (especially someone who has experimented with substrate mixes). :smile:

InvisibleFrankHorrigan
The Inquisition
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: treasure coast in wheat bran and verm [Re: Solipsis]
    #18062860 - 04/05/13 02:54 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

MattyFresh67 said:
I made a substrate of about 1/3 wheat bran and the 2/3 vermiculite and inoculated the jars about a week and a half ago and have seen no mycelial growth.  does anything sound wrong with the substrate?  How long does treausre cost take to grow?

:confused:

Quote:

Anonymous said:

:confused: :confused:

Quote:

Solipsis said:
Hi,

I am also trying to grow on a wheat bran and verm mixture (cakes and a filter bag), the filter bag shows no signs after about a week and I am not directly in a position to check on the jars.

9 cups of bran and 11 cups of verm turned out to make a consistency that seemed to my liking. I had not taken into account the kind of nutrients needed (like smaller saccharides?)

I bought the bran in bulk, now for future reference to make the substrate more suitable for Cubes, should I add something like rice flour? What are my options?
Can anyone comment (especially someone who has experimented with substrate mixes). :smile:

:confused: :confused: :confused:

BRF + verm will do better...this thread confuses me.

--------------------

Yes, you can bump my old threads with a question.
Here is how I get things done.
You should take a look. :hehehe:

Frank's tips and tricks. Updated on 3/21/14
AMU- Get an answer here -AMU

OfflineSolipsis
m̶a̶d̶ disappointed scientist
Male User Gallery

Loc: the Neitherlands Flag
Re: treasure coast in wheat bran and verm [Re: FrankHorrigan]
    #18063268 - 04/05/13 04:34 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

Thanks for the response, my question is basically what can be expected from substituting wheat bran for other more typical substrate ingredients like BRF...

I now understand that sticking to PF recipe is better, but I was just wondering if there are things I can do to improve on the mix next time because I took the opportunity to buy a whole bunch of bran at a farmer's store and would be happy to actually use it.

If germination and colonization are slowed down or delayed, that is something I could live with for now but problems with fruiting are not really acceptable.

So I was looking for a bit of info that goes beyond 'X is good, Y is bad'. :laugh:

Maybe I shouldn't have digged up an 11 year old thread though, apologies. I just wanted to use the forum properly and UTFSE instead of blindly creating new threads.

Edited by Solipsis (04/05/13 04:35 PM)

Offlineboneynerd
Mushway! EatFresh!
Male User Gallery

Loc: milkyway.usa
Re: treasure coast in wheat bran and verm [Re: Solipsis]
    #18063292 - 04/05/13 04:39 PM (10 years, 11 months ago)

switch to bird seed.. economical, found everywhere plus it will prepare you for bigger grows.

:mygoditsfullofstars:

--------------------
"Your mama's grow was so contaminated, the shroomery got trich." :headbanger:
-SpitballJediS

"your a female, no one woulda cared you were naked,hell probably made someone's day, but I pull my balls out on a bus and im the bad guy.."
-Bishlap

Edited by boneynerd (04/05/13 04:49 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate