Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Topicals   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineprimal440
journeyman
Dunking Casings (urgent)
    #4993610 - 11/29/05 10:48 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Hello, I did some searches and some people say you could dunk a casing, though they were scarce, about two... Can anybody here who has dunked casings tell me how to do it and if its worth it? I was thinking in just flooding the tray with water, wait 12-24 hours, get rid of the water and keep the verm that fell with it through a filter, then use that verm plus some i have in a bag to cover the spaces left when the casing reduced its size because of the flush. Is this method right? Maybe I should put the verm before flooding (dont think so)?

The water wuld be distilled and maybe with some peroxide (tell me if this would fuck something up please) since i noticed little colonies of cobweb fighting or it could be unhealthy myc, anyways it hasn't grown any better; I suspect it could be cobwer because I had put another casing which was unfortunately contamed, dont know if before or after putting it in, I took it out of the terrarium cause it smelled funny (to me like rotten apples) but dont know if it was becuase of the ice cream that was before.

Also, some claim that dunking with pins wont do any harm while other claim it will rot them and fuck up your casings, what do you say?

Any suggestions are welcome, thanks in advance, byue.

Edited by primal440 (11/29/05 10:54 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineladysalvia
Stranger ThanFiction
Re: Dunking Casings (urgent) [Re: primal440]
    #4993632 - 11/29/05 10:55 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

primal440 said:
Hello, I did some searches and some people say you could dunk a casing, though they were scarce, about two... Can anybody here who has dunked casings tell me how to do it and if its worth it? I was thinking in just flooding the tray with water, wait 12-24 hours, get rid of the water and keep the verm that fell with it through a filter, then use that verm plus some i have in a bag to cover the spaces left when the casing reduced its size because of the flush. Is this method right? Maybe I should put the verm before flooding (dont think so)? Any suggestions are welcome, thanks in advance, byue.

I've never dunked a casing before, but i have dunked several cakes. For cakes you just seal them in a plastic bag full of water for 12-24 hours at room temp. After that you roll them in vermiculite and put them back into your FC. i would think a casing would be done in the same way, but I'm not really sure.......seems that casings would be a bit messy to work with in this way.

.......and i use distilled water with a little peroxide to dunk my cakes. I haven't had any contams yet.

You can get rid of cobweb mold with peroxide. Just spray the contamed area once a day for 3 days and it should take care of it.

Edited by ladysalvia (11/29/05 10:58 AM)

Offlineprotected_son
Stranger
Re: Dunking Casings (urgent) [Re: ladysalvia]
    #4993705 - 11/29/05 11:11 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

I don't think you dunk casing. You just spray it with a hand sprayer remember to much moisture in a casing could cause overlay? Your suppose to spray it till it looks shiny I think lill glistening water balls. Im thinking about trying to make my first casing this week wish me luck haha cause ill be prayin for you.

--------------------
*~-READ-~*

The creator of this reply or this post takes no responsibility or liability for anything that happens as a result of, you, reading or trying anything on this page or anything contained in subsequent pages. By reading this. you are implying that you are in agreement with this disclaimer.

Offlineprimal440
journeyman
Re: Dunking Casings (urgent) [Re: protected_son]
    #4993773 - 11/29/05 11:32 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

well, since you're obviously a newbie I need more words from other people, thanks for giving something tho, I wish you luck with your casings...

InvisibleSillicybin
    #4993786 - 11/29/05 11:36 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

No one I know of dunks casings. Seems like a good way to ask for contams.

Offlineprimal440
journeyman
Re: Dunking Casings (urgent) [Re: Sillicybin]
    #4993806 - 11/29/05 11:42 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

this guy has done it: http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=Forum2&Number=4846427&page=2&fpart=1

I quote: "...turned out, so I picked them right after that last pic. However, after soaking the casing for 12 Hours, and throwing back into the fruiting chamber, this is how the 2nd flush is looking like..."

I will ask him personally but I want to be a 100% sure so I need more replies...

Offlinekam
Stranger

Loc: Vermont
    #4993833 - 11/29/05 11:49 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Many people in fact do dunk casings. You can just pour water into the tray. The casing will float. If you want, you can weight it down. After it's done dunking, you just pour out all the extra water and recase if necessary. If you are worried about contamination, add a little bleach to the water (200:1 :: water:bleach).

Offlineprimal440
journeyman
Re: Dunking Casings (urgent) [Re: kam]
    #4993936 - 11/29/05 12:14 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

kam: can I use instead of bleach a little peroxide I have laying around? Also, if you have had done this, should I remove pins or let them be? And last, can I leave it not at the freezer? The company wouldn't like to see me being way too overconfident... thanks

And what do I do with the parts that were clear after the casing shrinked? Cover with verm before or after soaking?

Edited by primal440 (11/29/05 12:18 PM)

InvisibleSillicybin
    #4994048 - 11/29/05 12:40 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

The point of a casing is to provide adequate moisture content for the mycelium to flush.

The point of dunking cakes is to (re)hydrate them.

They accomplish roughly the same thing, only casing tends to work better. IMO if you want to dunk, dunk the cakes before you case. Dunking between flushes really won't help much if you patch and mist correctly.

If you're really dead-set on doing it, by all means. I'm just trying to convince you that you don't have to go through the trouble and mess.

Offlineprimal440
journeyman
    #4994145 - 11/29/05 01:00 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Sillicybin:
since you discourage me to do this, too messy you say, I'll expose why Im considering this option. I want to do it because the casing shrinked a considerable rate (15-20% i think) and from what Im seeing the fruits will not be so plenty or large, i should mist the casing like crazy if I dont dunk (what dp you think about that?), I know that my next flushes wont come as near as fruitful as the first if I dont add a lot of water (the first time I did this, my other flushes were pretty mediocre and sporadical) so thats why Im so worried. Also, to the parts that were cleared up after the shrinking, I add more sterilized verm right? After getting rid of the water that was used to soak right?
Ill use yoyr method except that I wont put the trays in a tupperware, only close the lid and leave them in a cool place that isnt the fridge.
Well thats all, thanks.

OfflineSirTripAlot
Semper Fidelis
Male User Gallery

Loc: Harmless (Mostly)
    #4994166 - 11/29/05 01:08 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Would you run another marathon, without drinking water first?

After you first and second flushes, the water content of the casing is depleted, it must be restored. Dunking accomplishes this.......

--------------------
“I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.”

Offlineprimal440
journeyman
Re: Dunking Casings (urgent) [Re: SirTripAlot]
    #4994241 - 11/29/05 01:24 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

hehe it seems i have a reply to everyone; well, another inconvenient I have is that I can't discern if Ive had certain number of flushes. Thats because from the start I had an uneven pinset and it took me a week to recollect all or something like that. I guess this was only the first flush extended because of the uneven pinset, but the casing looks exhausted so Im not quite sure- do you SirTripAlot still recommend dunking/soaking??

Anonymous

Post deleted by Anno [Re: primal440]
    #4994886 - 11/29/05 04:20 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Offlineprimal440
journeyman
Re: Dunking Casings (urgent) [Re: ]
    #4995028 - 11/29/05 04:58 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

ok one last question: i dont understand whats the point in putting the tray in a tupperware container. Well, actually yes, since some use aluminum pans they dont have lids, but I use small tupperwares so I guess I dont need that extra big tupper right? Also, do you apply any weight to the tray or maybe turn it upside down or you just let it float like you said like a cork? I await your response and sorry for being such a question freak, I guess it helps psychologically to have it all very very clear and from then I do a better job.

Anonymous

Post deleted by Anno [Re: primal440]
    #4995059 - 11/29/05 05:07 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

InvisibleSillicybin
Loc: Flag
Re: Dunking Casings (urgent) [Re: ]
    #4995391 - 11/29/05 06:20 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

OK - that makes sense.  In the case that the mycelium is very dry, yes that does make sense.

Richard, I wonder if perhaps the stimulation of the second flush was not JUST the dunk itself, but also the H2O2 added to the mix?  It has been shown that even quick dips (10-15 min) in dillute bleach water can stimulate pinning....  just a thought.

Have you by chance done any casings where you dunk the cakes before casing, and then dunk one between flushes to compare?

I might have to experiment with that myself.

Either way, good info - glad you could help Primal out better than I could.  :biggrin:

Offlineprimal440
journeyman
    #4995562 - 11/29/05 06:49 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

you could still help me Sillicybin, although you havent done the casing dunk yet, I wonder what recommendations you can give me to this problem: Since im dunking im getting rid of the last shrooms and pins, I wanted to tear off a shroom that was ready without losing the other which was attached to that one, stupid move since I ended up tearing up a chunk of the casing. How long would it take to the tissue to reunite again or maybe I should just dunk it tommorow along with the rest of the casing and hope it will recover later?
What do you think, has this happened to you before?
for now i have misted this chunk a litte bit more than usual, I hope it didn0t get too wet to fuck it up, I know it should just be moist but I figured that this time it needed to be more wet to make it reunite with the rest of the casing, or was this a stupid thought?

Edited by primal440 (11/29/05 06:53 PM)

OfflineAnkles125
Stranger

#25672620 - 12/11/18 03:14 PM (5 years, 3 months ago)

So I literally just got back from flooding my casing (which is also my first grow ever). I can tell you that what the casing looks like now, looks like it will definitely contam pretty hard. I'm growing in a bag that I'm storing in a cardboard box, covered with a plastic cover, so there's no way for me to pour out the excess water when it absorbs into the casing and down into the substrate. The TEK I'm using told me to pour 125ml of water evenly over the casing to induce another flush, but I think I'm gonna regret doing that. Just misting it every day to keep it moist was working just fine, but when all of the pins looked a little too small or non-existent, I got jumpy and flooded. Probably a mistake. Probably going to just mist next time, it's easier and it was working just fine.
Then again, I did literally just do this, so we'll see what happens tomorrow.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Topicals   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom