Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineNewbieShroomer

Loc: San Diego California Baby...
Fridge/FReezer fruiting chamber, Advice?
    #497858 - 12/21/01 01:08 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

Hey all!!!

Long time no see :) I have been hanging out at mycotopia harrassing Nanook and hippie3 every day and haven't really had time to hit two boards.
BUT, my friend has come up big-time and aqquired a commercial size freezer and he is not sure exaclty how to go about modifications... It seems that very few people at mycotopia have delved into fridge-based fruiting chambers, and if they have, they are not sharing much info...
Below are all the posts made to to original thread yesterday. Anyone with fridge/freezer experience out there???? Talk to me. Peace out.

By Dr. Cubesis III (Newbieshroomer) on Thursday, December 20, 2001 - 11:05 pm: Edit
Well tonight I go to pick up my new Freezer!
It's HUGE!!! about 7 foot tall and 4 feet wide.. It's bigger than my damn bathroom BUT I can lock virtually EVERYTHING up in one place now.. * whew *
Just tired of being worried that my bedroom walls are littered with terrariums... All it would take is a family member visiting or the landlord using her key to get in to shut off my alarm clock....
Bad Juju...

So I am way ahead of schedule, wasn't expecting to have such a stroke of luck and come up on something so perfect for my needs... Having a truck certainly does have it's perks

Not sure how to go about converting the freezer though....

I Imagine I would have to pull out the motor and everything else I don't need...

Geez... I am picking it up TONNIGHT and would like to get started on the conversion asap... If anyone has any advice please throw it my way....

I thought I was doing well with my 20 gallon
and my styrofoam... Once again, thanks to mycotopia I am headed into yet another " Mad scientist " creation...

By Nan (Nanook) on Friday, December 21, 2001 - 05:07 am: Edit
Ain't this hobby fun?

By Dr. Cubesis III (Newbieshroomer) on Friday, December 21, 2001 - 05:50 pm: Edit
Yep, Sure is!!!

Haven't been this involved since playstation 1 came out!! * grin *

But really, I need some help... Turns out the freezer wasn't really for me at all, but a foaf of mine.. I myself have decided to trot the straight and narrow so I don't get into any trouble. No cultivating for me any more. I took all of my previous mycology stuff and threw it all in the trash...

But my foaf however, is not giving up, and in a message relayed to me from him thru a mutual aqquaintance of another friend, * whew * he still has questions and would not like this thread to die quickly

To begin, he has decided not to cut the freezer up
if he can help it, because though he inherited it free, he discovered that the freezer cost $700 new. So he will try to work around that if he can. Freezer works fine, shame to completely ruin it.

Freezer is about 6 foot tall, about three foot wide. Inside on a light it reads " commercial Freezer." Freon is actually passed thru the racks themselves so the whole unit is already completely sealed.

In the bottom, there is a drainage hole, Tonight my friend told me that his friend plans to get some tubing and wires up thru that hole for humidity/air exchange and light, though there is already a 25w light present and he plans to make use of it.

Any Ideas?? Any experience with this?? Anyone??
Wait a minute, Xazia uses a fridge i think....
I will talk to her,,, Help MY FRIEND out here though, he had no idea his good fortune was going to be so terrific as of late and has not had any time to research this large fruiting chamber.

Peace out all!
By Bob Smith (Maliki) on Friday, December 21, 2001 - 07:19 pm: Edit
Well I think the first thing i would do is to take a trip to the hardware store. Once there i would look for a small electonic thermometer that has indoor temp and outdoor temp as well as a humidity gage , the humid gages arent exact but they are ball park within 5%. The reason for two temps would be the mushies like to germinate at higher tempretures then they like to fruit in , so now youve established that you need two partitions in the frezzer each one of these then needs some type of thermostate to controll tempretures you can use two line level thermstates or you can get a dual zone controll modell . Now to power these the light inside the frzer will be utilized pick up one of the screw in plug fixtures , ya know the one the light screwes into the end of and you can plug things into the sides. Theres your power suply inside the fridge . I would divide the top half of the frezzer off as long as thats where the light is for the incubation chamber as it can be dry heat ..good for eletrical....better then wet anywho..... I would use a heating pade for heat in the in the top if nececary and a light in the bottom , both would only be on very litle as frezzers are well insulated. as far as humidity use a humdifier deffanetly becasue of the size ......Just a few ideas from me ...for your foaf
By Dr. Cubesis III (Newbieshroomer) on Friday, December 21, 2001 - 07:40 pm: Edit
Thank you very much bob,

EXCELLENT advice, I am printing it for my friend
right now so he can read your VERY detailed response later this evening, where he will be switching from the cleaning of the freezer, to the actual modifications. Thanks a bundle Bob, I owe ya one.

--------------------
If things get any worse, I'll have to ask you to stop helping me.

Too many freaks, not enough circuses.
http://www.Mycotopia.net

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineFantazee
journeyman
Loc: New England
Re: Fridge/FReezer fruiting chamber, Advice? [Re: NewbieShroomer]
    #498431 - 12/22/01 01:21 AM (22 years, 3 months ago)

I may be missing the point, but, doesn't the power to the interior light get cut off when you close the door...Haven't climbed in my freezer lately...I could be wrong...

Offlineflaw
enthusiast
Re: Fridge/FReezer fruiting chamber, Advice? [Re: Fantazee]
    #498481 - 12/22/01 05:27 AM (22 years, 2 months ago)

It could be rewired to be on all the time easily.

Offlinefungichick
Your mom
Re: Fridge/FReezer fruiting chamber, Advice? [Re: Fantazee]
    #499218 - 12/23/01 09:42 AM (22 years, 2 months ago)

most freezers/fridge lights are set up to go on when you open the door. If you take a look you'll most likely notice a plastic button on the inside perimeter of your fridge that gets pressed as your shutting the door which will then turn the light off. You'll know if it's the right button cause when u press it the light will go off. You can break the button off and walla the light is on all the time.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates