Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinebassplayer74
old hand

Loc: Tennessee
My attempt at straw tek
    #496126 - 12/19/01 04:44 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

Its been about 12 hours since I innoculated my straw at 160 for an hour. Let cool and drain for several hours. Was cool but still slightly damp. I then innoculated with crumbled pf cakes. Classic strain. I used 1 half pint cake per square foot. So far I dont see any mycelium spreading at all. Is it to early? I'm just worried because last time I tried a straw tek, the spawn never did spread onto the straw. If this happens to me again, what am I doing wrong? I have temps at 75 degrees and humidity at or around 100. Please let me know something. Thanks...bassplayer74

--------------------
If you will it, it is no dream.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineJammer
Computers areMORE Addictive!

Loc: (God's Country) - USA
Re: My attempt at straw tek [Re: bassplayer74]
    #496136 - 12/19/01 04:50 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

Dude, your not going to see any growth in 12 hours. In fact the last time I seen a friends set up it took MONTHS for it to mature enough to fruit. This is the downside of useing straw, it's pretty damm slow to colinize. However, when the fruits do emerge they are some of the strongest largest 'shrooms that this ole hippy has ever tried. (and the strain at issue was PF Classic as well)

Have patience, it's worth it. If your in a hurry to trip now is the time to start some PF Jars- depending on how much straw you inoculated, the PF jars will probably fruit first.

--------------------
>>Jammer>>

Offlinebassplayer74
old hand

Re: My attempt at straw tek [Re: Jammer]
    #496141 - 12/19/01 04:55 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

Thanks man....I was under the impression that if I innoculated straw with powdered pf cakes it would colonize rapidly. I've heard in 3 to 7 days it should be a brick of mycelium ready for casing. Oh well.....I'll just wait and see what happens.

--------------------

OfflineJammer

Re: My attempt at straw tek [Re: bassplayer74]
    #496147 - 12/19/01 05:00 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

You might want to raise the temp closer to 80 degrees.

--------------------
>>Jammer>>

OfflineBeppoMarx
old hand
    #496150 - 12/19/01 05:02 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

yeah; all i ever hear is that it only takes MAYBE a week for crumbled cakes to colonize straw; i just bought a bail on lunchbreak today and will see for myself but i can say i have never heard of anyone ever say theyve taken more than a week to colonize straw; thats why i chose to buy some and try it.

--------------------
Holy shit people; COMMON SENSE! we were all born with it where did it go?
maybe theres a tek out there to explain how to use it!
BUCKETS BRIGADE left hand man!!!

Offlinebassplayer74
old hand

#496154 - 12/19/01 05:06 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

Thanks Jammer....Will do....I've read everything I could possibly find on straw teks. I'm using old timers tek. I'm not sure if its right or not, but he says the straw should brick out in a few days because there are so many innoculation points. The powdered cake gets all over the straw. He then says(if I remember correctly) that it should fruit in about a week. I know this sounds too good to be true, but I'm an optimist. I hope it works out. Any other info is appreciated. Like I said, I've read everything I could about it already but I'm still worried something wont work out right.

bassplayer74

--------------------

OfflineJammer

Re: My attempt at straw tek [Re: BeppoMarx]
    #496168 - 12/19/01 05:21 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

Ok, here is the last straw teck that I seen:

A ten gallon tank was filled to the top rim with tightly compressed pasteried straw that was purchased from JLF (no longer for sell). This tank was placed inside a large 29 gallon High tank on top off upside down 1/2 pint jars that were placed inside the 29 gallon tank. Aprox. 3 inches of water was placed in the bottom (add hto2 or bleach) of the 29 gallon tank. A fish tank air pump feed a large hortizontial airstone. A fish tank heater mounted at a 45 degree angle kept the temp at about 78 degrees (higher temps make containamation more likely). A transparent clear piece of plastic was used for the top with a small fish tank flourecent light placed on top. Rye was used for spawn (crumbled PF cakes should work just as well). No caseing was ever done.

It might of been over two months or more before the mycelium reached down about 5 inches. In time it grew down to about 6-8 inches deep- then it stoped growing downward, it got about 8 inches deep at it's deepest spots. There was absolutely NO containamation! At this point the fruits emerged... and they kept comming for weeks on end.

Although this was my friends setup, it was my idea. If anyone refers to this tek please feel free to call it.....

The Jammer Straw Tek.

PS: A word of caution. This Tek needs a constant supply of air from the pump. If the pump is left off for more than 24 hours the hudmidity level will drop to the point of serios fungus damage that can result in it dieing altogather.

--------------------
>>Jammer>>

Edited by Jammer (12/19/01 09:01 PM)

Offlineupupup
guardian

Loc: George "I love Hitler" Bu...
    #496375 - 12/19/01 08:45 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

old timer straw tek

A method I use might prove useful to you. I simply start 1/2 pint jars using traditional PF Tek. Once jars are fully colonized I get ready for straw inoculation. I soak regular old straw (which I get from a Feed & Seed) for 24 hours. After soaking I chop the straw and place in a large pasta pot. Bring to 160F for 1 hour. After pasteurization I allow straw to cool, drain and place in pans with clear "greenhouse" type lids. Take the "cake" and grind it to powder in a food processor/blender. Believe it or not the grinding does not harm the mycelium. Sprinkle the cake powder all over the straw and mix in throughly. Every minute particle of PF cake dust will become a growth point giving super fast colonization of the straw. Allow spawn to run through and case. You will get really good flushes (much more than fruiting individual cakes) and produce many more carpophores for your enjoyment. Of course optimum humidity must be maintained throughout the entire growing cycle from inoculation to fruiting. For years I started cultures using petri dishes, replated several times, transferred to grain and fruited strictly on manure/straw compost. Now, thanks to PF I have learned a much easier and quicker method for growing our fungi friends using straw and cakes with no lab time at all. See, you can teach an old head new tricks.

--------------------
Support bacteria - they're the only culture some people have.

OfflineJammer

Re: My attempt at straw tek [Re: upupup]
    #496401 - 12/19/01 09:05 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

Well shit.... I gotta read more! (haha)

Ok, I'm busted.... I never read the old timer straw tek. I asumed that it was simulair to other teks that I have read about in the past.

Sounds pretty interesting, I like the concept. I now can see where this should greatly decrease the colinzation time.

So, please disregaurd my advised time intervals. (I really should spend more time reading/researching- hehe)

--------------------
>>Jammer>>

Edited by Jammer (12/19/01 09:11 PM)

Offlinebassplayer74
old hand

#496407 - 12/19/01 09:10 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

Don't sweat it jammer...If you only knew how much your help is appreciated!

Take care...

bassplayer74

--------------------

OfflineAmoeba665
strange
Loc: a hidden microutopia at t...
    #496698 - 12/20/01 04:22 AM (22 years, 3 months ago)

damn, a 10 gallon aquarium filled with straw? that must give huge yields... i can see how it would take a long time, though.. but still...thats an interesting idea. maybe one day i'll be able to get my friend to try that, he's experimenting with the old timer's tek right now too, after he saw it posted recently...

10 gallons of straw!

--------------------
---

OfflineHammerloaf
addict

Loc: Canada
Re: My attempt at straw tek [Re: Amoeba665]
    #496815 - 12/20/01 08:56 AM (22 years, 3 months ago)

the KEY to the OT straw tek, is that you are powdering a colonized pf cake... then throwing down a 1" layer of straw.. tossing your spawn in.. mixing it up a bit.. then add another such layer... every place where the cake dust is touching straw is going to be a growth point... this is explosive.. the mycelium has so much food, and it is verocious.. it will colonize in a few days in the right conditions... this is pretty amazing.. mycelium is crazy ass hungry after ya grind the shit outta it....

just remeber... the casing doesn't need to be more then 1"... even that is excessive, and will slow your fruiting.

OfflineShroomNewb
enthusiast
Re: My attempt at straw tek [Re: Hammerloaf]
    #497086 - 12/20/01 03:41 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

Would this work?

Replacing the straw for worm castings, and maybe some mixed in vermiculite? Letting it rebuild for 24 hours or so, then casing with 50/50 casing mix?

Thanks in advance.

Offlinenarniagardens
Stranger

Re: My attempt at straw tek [Re: ShroomNewb]
    #10337805 - 05/14/09 01:20 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Invisiblenovicemycology
dabbeler
 User Gallery

Re: My attempt at straw tek [Re: narniagardens]
    #10337832 - 05/14/09 01:25 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Did you just offer that link up in a 7 year old thread??

Offlinemushroommaan
Stranger
Male
Re: My attempt at straw tek [Re: novicemycology]
    #10337847 - 05/14/09 01:29 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

lol why yes he did

--------------------
Welcome to mushroom land,
Home of the Mushroommaan,
Who lives on Shroomery way.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom