Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Amanita Muscaria Store Amanita Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblespores
haploid
 User Gallery

Loc: Washington
Hassled by the cops
    #4929719 - 11/13/05 06:26 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

While doing some picking at my favorite location today I had a little run in with the police.  I figured I would post the story here so maybe it could be of help to those who could find themselves in the same situation...

I was walking around the area picking cyans and taking pictures, I noticed a regular (non-police) car pull over off the street for a few minutes right by where I was picking.  this kind of made me wonder, they could have parked anywhere else along the street, but I just decided to move a little further down the row of mulch I was picking in and keep picking out of sight of the car.  I did for a few minutes and then the car just took off, no one ever got out of it or anything.  just taking what I had and leaving crossed my mind then but  there was a pretty good amount of shrooms to be picked still :wink:, so I figured it was nothing and stayed.

about 20-30 minutes later a cop car pulls up.  chick (uggghhh female police, don't get me started on that :tongue:) gets out and asks what I'm doing.  they had a call about someone ducking in and out of the bushes in the (PUBLIC) park there, I'd love to meet the genius of a 'concerned citizen' who made that call.  I don't know how the fuck looking around under the bushes in a public park and not wanting to be stared at by some busybody moron who pulls off the road right next to me and interrupts what I'm doing there is something to call the police over.

anyway, everything i had picked so far was in my backpack and i had just taken a picture of a patch I was getting ready to pick as the cop was pulling up so I said that's all I was doing.  another cop car with some dude in it pulls up.  she asks if I had ID, I did but I said no, then she asked my name and I (stupidly) gave a fake one and DOB.  I figured she would just write the shit down and let me go with a warning, but she goes and runs it through the computer and it shows up as fake.  so I say, yeah it was a fake name and give them my ID.  they ask why I did that, I just said it's because I'm not doing anything wrong, I'm at a public park taking pictures of mushrooms and I don't see why that means I have to make my name known to the local police.  they give me a bunch of shit about it, saying "well now we have a problem" and all kinds of cop scare-tactic bullshit, I just stick to my story and say I'm out taking pictures of mushrooms, this is public property and I shouldn't have to show ID or tell them my name.  the dude that pulled up later asks whats in my backpack, I say it's just my camera and stuff, I pull it out and show them the pictures I was taking.  he asks if I mind if they search the rest of my backpack, I tell them yes I mind, they can't search my backpack and I need to get going.

so the office takes forever to run my real info, our taxes are paying for these two pigs with separate cars to stand with me on a street corner for a good 20 minutes while god knows what actual crimes are being comitted out there.  finally, I have to give them my SS# and show my left arm to prove I have no tattoos, because the DOB I gave them matched a description of someone else :rolleyes:.  they said I was free to go, they took off and left the patch intact, but I wasn't about to go back and pick it. 

to sum it up, here's what I've learned in the few times I've had run ins with police while picking:

1.) don't be worried about giving them your ID. give them your real info if they ask for it.  whatever you do, don't give them a fake name, heh, bad idea.  first time I've ever tried it and I found out why you shouldn't :smile:.

2.) keep your mushrooms out of sight as much as possible, always have a backpack or something to put everything in. don't just be walking around with a bag of mushrooms in your hands unless you're somewhere you would never be hassled about it. if you are asked to let them search your backpack/car/whatever and there are mushrooms or anything else in it, say no.

3.) it's a good idea to have another reason you can give for being where you are besides picking shrooms, taking pictures, walking a dog, whatever. 

if they actually catch you in the act of picking, I'd give them the story that you're not exactly sure what the mushrooms are and you're taking them home, to your friend or local college or something to have them identified.  I've confessed to knowing what the mushrooms were before and just had to dump them out and give up my info.  police are not trained in mushroom identification though, if you don't tell them that they're psilocybes and you know exactly what they are, they would have to send them to a lab to prove that the mushrooms contain psiloc(yb)in, which is never done for small amounts.

but definitely give them your real name.  I can't believe I did that but it seemed like a good idea at the time, heh.  it's tough to think things through when you're talking to the cops.  it's much better to know what you need to do and say beforehand, hence this post :wink:...

anywho, if you got this far here are some of the pics I took, it's gonna be hard not to go back there in the next couple weeks, I haven't decided whether I will or not yet :lol:...

this is the pic I took as they were driving up, had to leave everything there :\ 

DH

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinewietstocker
product ofevolution

Loc: Cranium, PNW
Re: Hassled by the cops [Re: spores]
    #4929746 - 11/13/05 06:37 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

Congratulations on avoiding that possible disaster.

At least they were the kind of cop that have respect for personal rights. I know a lot of places where they wouldn't have been quite so kind as to *ask* to look in your backpack. Encountering "guilty until proven innocent" officers seems to be more and more common these days.

--------------------
Echoes

Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

#4929753 - 11/13/05 06:38 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

Good post man.

I'm sorry to hear about that, but, thats great you didn't get into any real trouble.

I find it interesting that someone would call the cops on you like that!! I can't believe someone would care that much... sheesh.

I never knew that you could say "no, I dont want my backpack searched"... I guess they would then need a search warrent if they really wanted to search you?

I totally agree with bringing a camera or having a back-up story incase the cops did come up on you picking. I always bring my camera no matter what. I've usually brought my books too, but, then the excuse of picking them to bring home doesn't work :smile:

Luckily I havent had too much problems with the cops since I dont pick any actives anymore.

I almost got a huge fine two years ago from a state park ranger who saw me picking an A. muscaria... its illegal to pick any mushroom in a state park!! (Just to let anyone know).

Invisibleroby000
me
Trans-male
Re: Hassled by the cops *DELETED* [Re: angryshroom]
    #4929767 - 11/13/05 06:43 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

Post deleted by roby000

Reason for deletion: d

Invisiblespores
haploid
 User Gallery

Re: Hassled by the cops [Re: angryshroom]
    #4929783 - 11/13/05 06:49 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

yeah, it's a really upper class, rich type neighborhood.  I don't look like a thug or anything, but i don't imagine it's the kind of place you see twenty something kids looking around the bushes often :wink:. still though...

anytime you're asked to consent to search you can decline.  if they see you doing something illegal or have a warrant they don't need to ask, but otherwise they do, and you have the right to say no. 

I know most of it is common sense, but people picking in public places should think about this stuff so they can avoid problems...

DH

Invisiblespores
haploid
 User Gallery

Re: Hassled by the cops [Re: roby000]
    #4929786 - 11/13/05 06:49 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

:smirk:

DH

InvisibleTaskenti
MadPsycho

Re: Hassled by the cops [Re: angryshroom]
    #4929805 - 11/13/05 06:53 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

angryshroom said:
I never knew that you could say "no, I dont want my backpack searched"... I guess they would then need a search warrent if they really wanted to search you?

If a cop ever asks you to search you/your car/ your house/backpack or whatever, odds are they do NOT have enough reasonable doubt/evidence to search you without a search warrant.

--------------------
CIVIC IS Mycoshack!! Be careful trading with him!!
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showthreaded.php/Cat/0/Number/5686915/page/0/vc/1

OfflineQuankus
keep a dreamjournal
Male User Gallery

Loc: Benicia, CA and Monterey ...
    #4929835 - 11/13/05 06:59 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

how the fuck can picking fruit off the ground be illegal?
it blows my mind sometimes.
good story, I try and always carry my camera around.

--------------------

CyanoFriscosa

InvisibleLouiseLouise
starstruck
Male User Gallery

Loc: Searching w/my good eye c...
Trusted Identifier
    #4929852 - 11/13/05 07:06 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

Thanks for sharing DH.
I know the cops are not allowed to search w/o your permission, but I always get shaken by their intimidation.
For example, I work 2nd shift and I have to drive through "ouschwitz" at like 1:30 in the morning. I get pulled over regular. Every time, they sift through my ashtray, I haven't been broken down and searched yet, but they get pretty nosey. I haven't found the balls yet at the heat of the moment to say "You can't just get in my car and search the ashtray"
They really can't, but with all them lights and intimidation, I think to myself I don't need to create more of a hassle and every time I go away feeling more harrassed and less protected by these people, sheesh :rolleyes:
Anyway, I'm glad you're ok and walked away without trouble.

--------------------
"That's why you get in close to them, and then take the picture!! Don't be a pussy!" ~CC

InvisibleXenophobic
Stranger

Re: Hassled by the cops [Re: Quankus]
    #4929867 - 11/13/05 07:10 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

I thought the same thing as angryshroom, that you can't say "no" when a policeman asks you to turn your pockets/bag out. I suppose you could but that would give them grounds for suspicion, hence arrest.

I never conseal my bag/bags of mushrooms. Then if I get stopped by the pigs I just act stupid and say "I'm picking mushrooms to eat, I love wild mushrooms. I've seen these in a book somewhere and the book said they're really nice to eat" (always make sure their's a few edibles thrown in the bag though). They can't prove nothin. It's happened twice.

--------------------
Only will man realise, when he cuts down the last tree, that he cannot eat money

InvisibleSoularize
slanted and enchanted
Male User Gallery

Loc: United States
    #4929875 - 11/13/05 07:12 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

man that sucks. seems like you handled all of this situation pretty well though. and i cant blame you for the fake ID attempt! i mean honestly, who wants to give up their personal info to local police? ahh well.

This IS a testament though, to how fearful and ridiculously paranoid certain citizens are. especially in this day and age, with a government that leads by the use of fear-tactics...some people are just REALLY suspicious of anything that catches their eye. whether that's for the better or worse for our society...is arguable either way, but just put it this way: when hunting I am ALWAYS prepared for the chance that some paranoid type of person might see my shroom picking as "suspicious behavior" and wig out over it.

oh well, that's just the reality though. and i really find that a majority of the people out there don't think twice about mushroom hunters. Seattlites tend to be pretty chill people  :grin: thank goodness.

{Peace}

--------------------
"All but one man died. There at Bitter Creek. And they say he ran awayyy." - A little show called Branded

OfflineMcdoopy
Fungus Face
 User Gallery

Loc: Varrok Center
Re: Hassled by the cops [Re: LouiseLouise]
    #4929882 - 11/13/05 07:13 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

Good story, maybe should be put in archives? Good tips for both current and future hunters. Thanks for sharing I enjoyed reading it.

P.S. What a loser, whoever called on you.

OfflineH_Wrabbit
Explorer
Male User Gallery

Loc: Portland, Oregon
Re: Hassled by the cops [Re: Mcdoopy]
    #4929972 - 11/13/05 07:41 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

I'm pretty sure here in Oregon that you can decline to a search of your backpack/car/whatever, but can't do much about declining a search/pat-down of your body (they always use the excuse of "for our safety we need to check you for weapons"), so I always try to keep stuff in a separate bag, not in my clothes.  Glad you got off without a problem!  :thumbup:

--------------------
Eat psilocybes, listen to A Silver Mt. Zion, read Howard Bloom and Tom Brown Jr, walk into the forest.

InvisibleKoala Koolio
TTAGGGTTAGGGTTAGGGTTAGGG

Re: Hassled by the cops [Re: H_Wrabbit]
    #4930067 - 11/13/05 08:10 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

./

--------------------
You're not like the others. You like the same things I do. Wax paper, boiled football leather... dog breath. We're not hitch-hiking anymore, we're riding!

Edited by elgr (11/14/05 11:24 AM)

InvisibleXenophobic
Stranger

Re: Hassled by the cops [Re: Koala Koolio]
    #4930078 - 11/13/05 08:15 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

Maybe he was just a queer bastard (figure of speech, no offence gay people) who liked you with a fetish for dressing up in police costumes and talking into walkie talkies, haha.

--------------------
Only will man realise, when he cuts down the last tree, that he cannot eat money

InvisibleKoala Koolio
TTAGGGTTAGGGTTAGGGTTAGGG

Re: Hassled by the cops [Re: Xenophobic]
    #4930113 - 11/13/05 08:25 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

Props to him for getting the car then. :wink: Don't mind giving my number if it means a night on the town getting to play with the siren and flashing lights. :P

--------------------
You're not like the others. You like the same things I do. Wax paper, boiled football leather... dog breath. We're not hitch-hiking anymore, we're riding!

InvisibleXenophobic
Stranger

Re: Hassled by the cops [Re: Koala Koolio]
    #4930139 - 11/13/05 08:34 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

Ahhh come on, gimme some flashing lights and some stickers.  I'll make a police car lmfao.  :crazy2:

--------------------

Invisiblejarroddupont
I shroom we Allshroom

Loc: midwest of ...
    #4930211 - 11/13/05 08:49 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

I was questioned once while walking through a field..

Told the fuzz my little brother lost his model rocket over this way and I promised him I'd look for it. Spurr of the moment excuse but it worked :grin:

I always give them a name of a kid I went to elementary school with. I got in trouble and some teacher asked my name and I blurted his name, used it ever since haha.

Good Idea for always taking a camera, WILL DO from now on..although the rocket story worked smoothly.

--------------------
P. Cubensis Growth Parameters
"All mushrooms are edible, but some only once."
-- Croatian Proverb

InvisibleXenophobic
Stranger

Re: Hassled by the cops [Re: jarroddupont]
    #4930224 - 11/13/05 08:54 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

"I always give them a name of a kid I went to elementary school with. I got in trouble and some teacher asked my name and I blurted his name, used it ever since haha"

Yeah but what you didn't know is that he was sent to jail for life, for murdering his grandmother and her pet budgie. But has since escaped jail. Now what did you say your name was again?...

--------------------

OfflineLysergic_Milkman
Dr. Fist
Male

Loc: ATL
    #4930394 - 11/13/05 09:31 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

The model rocket story only works up to a certain point, though.
Imagine a grown ass man with a beard getting stopped by the cops in a field and citing:
"I promised my little brother I'd look for his model rocket that came over this way..."
"How old did ya' say you were again sir?"
"fourteen..."

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Amanita Muscaria Store Amanita Extract