Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineHerbanShaman
I am the Walrus

Loc: Everywhere and Nowhere
Flies - and lots of the tiny buggers - extermination plan?
    #4926847 - 11/12/05 08:05 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

A professor at school gave me a unique breed of iris and some other various local flora. Oh, and she was kind enough to include some fauna too. On the iris I found TONS of mealy bugs sucking the juices away. I've put this plant outside in hopes that it will chill them off. I also sprayed the last of my Neem Oil on them. I'm hoping that will work for them. However, the plants also apparently brought some sort of tiny fly with them. They have clear wings and are almost as small as a period on a sentence. They have shiny clear wings from what I can tell. I sprayed all around with my Neem Oil in an effort to kill them but they are still around. What are they and what can I do? What effects do they have. My fear is that they will spread disease, and lay larvae in my soil. Little vermin! Any suggestions? I wish I could afford a sulfur vaporizer. Buy more neem oil, or use seven dust? How should I treat the soil, they seem to hang out there most. I'm afraid treatment of the soil will kill roots. Only my epiphytes seem immune to this disaster - lucky no root bastards.

--------------------
"There is a world beyond ours, a world that is far away, nearby, and invisible. And there is where God lives, where the dead live, the spirits and the saints, a world where everything has already happened and everything is known. That world talks. It has a language of its own. I report what it says. The sacred mushroom takes me by the hand and brings me to the world where everything is known. It is they, the sacred mushrooms, that speak in a way I can understand. I ask them and they answer me. When I return from the trip that I have taken with them, I tell what they have told me and what they have shown me."
-- Mazatec shaman

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisiblelIllIIIllIlIIlIlIIllIllIIl
Stranger

Loc: Texas
Re: Flies - and lots of the tiny buggers - extermination plan? [Re: HerbanShaman]
    #4926858 - 11/12/05 08:11 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

I get a few of these too. What I use is these yellow sheets. The brand I use is called "Sticky Sticks".

It is a really sticky sheet of paper on a stick that fits into your plant pots. It is really attractive to flies so they land on them all the time (and die). As long as you kill enough of the adults with these sheets you will not have any more eggs.

It is a non-pesticide way to deal with them.

Invisiblegogrowgo123
all the same

Re: Flies - and lots of the tiny buggers - extermination plan? [Re: lIllIIIllIlIIlIlIIllIllIIl]
    #4926900 - 11/12/05 08:22 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

get a cup, as narrow as you can, fill it half way with apple cider and maybe a piece of banana too, then stick a funnel on top, you could even make a cone out of paper and just stick it in, but dont let the funnel or cider touch. the flies will be attracted to it, climb down the funnel and not be able to get out and will drown. put it next to your plants

--------------------
"For everything to be consummated, for me to feel less alone, I had only to wish that there be a large crowd of spectators the day of my execution and that they greet me with cries of hate."

OfflineVertigo6911
Entheobotanist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Netherlands
Re: Flies - and lots of the tiny buggers - extermination plan? [Re: gogrowgo123]
    #4927908 - 11/13/05 01:31 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

mmm an even more elegant, and permanent solution would be to keep
a bunch of Drosera plants.
these are carnivorous plants that catch small insects by secreting drops of glue...
http://img51.photobucket.com/albums/v155/Sheol_v/five.jpg

in contrast to popular belief, D. capensis is supereasy to grow and propogate.

--------------------
-Know ye not that ye are gods?-
My homepage

InvisiblelIllIIIllIlIIlIlIIllIllIIl
Stranger

Loc: Texas
Re: Flies - and lots of the tiny buggers - extermination plan? [Re: Vertigo6911]
    #4928033 - 11/13/05 02:48 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Way to think outside the box, man. :thumbup:

OfflineVertigo6911
Entheobotanist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Flies - and lots of the tiny buggers - extermination plan? [Re: lIllIIIllIlIIlIlIIllIllIIl]
    #4928089 - 11/13/05 03:16 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

lol well i just happen to know this because i grow carnivorous plants.
ive had an invasion of fungus gnats wich were attracted to the wet soil to lay their eggs in.

normaly the flies would be driving me nuts by landing on my monitor
and getting in my face but now they seem to be completely preoccupied with the droseras...

ofcource this becomes less practical the more plants u have
and it is not effective enuff to whipe the bugs out, but it does keep a population under controll and diminish the chance of them getting out of hand.

--------------------
My homepage

InvisibleTheido
Stranger
Loc: Europe
Re: Flies - and lots of the tiny buggers - extermination plan? [Re: Vertigo6911]
    #4928117 - 11/13/05 04:15 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

I have a small problem with fungus gnats also. There would be no problem if they would only feed on fungus, but they also love the delicate roots of cactus seedlings (and possibly any seedling roots). I lost quite a few Stenocactus hastatus and various Astrophytum (including myriostigma var. onzuka) Thank god they didnt kill my L.williamsii seedlings! I search and destroy every single gnat i detect, but havnt been able to solve it once and for all.

OfflineVertigo6911
Entheobotanist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Flies - and lots of the tiny buggers - extermination plan? [Re: HerbanShaman]
    #4928119 - 11/13/05 04:17 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

mmm another thing u can do is cover the soil with some perlite or something so it is less atractive to the bugs to lay their eggs in...

--------------------
My homepage

InvisibleTheido
Stranger
Loc: Europe
    #4928131 - 11/13/05 04:26 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

In fact I did protect my plants with a layer of "puffed up clay granules" dont know that they are called, and it did seem to help a bit. Most of my seedlings are too small to be covered with anything. I also have one Dionaea muscipula (venus fly trap) which could possibly be the source.

Edited by Theido (01/29/09 08:09 AM)

OfflineVertigo6911
Entheobotanist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #4928212 - 11/13/05 06:20 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

yup, that will have the wet soil the bugs like to lay their eggs in...

--------------------
My homepage

OfflineClammyJoe
Azurescen Head
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: PNW
    #4928430 - 11/13/05 09:47 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Throw a few Amantias around. I once had a few amantias sitting around, doing pretty much nothing but decomposing, and they were covered in imobilized flys, even as it was breaking down.

OfflineHerbanShaman
I am the Walrus

Loc: Everywhere and Nowhere
Re: Flies - and lots of the tiny buggers - extermination plan? [Re: ClammyJoe]
    #4928624 - 11/13/05 11:42 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Wow, great tips everyone, particurally the D. capensis biological control. They are like living fly papers. I think I will almost everyone's tips except the Amanita (I don't have any). I'll start out with the inverted cup trap, and order some white fly trap papers and capensis. Great tips!

--------------------
"There is a world beyond ours, a world that is far away, nearby, and invisible. And there is where God lives, where the dead live, the spirits and the saints, a world where everything has already happened and everything is known. That world talks. It has a language of its own. I report what it says. The sacred mushroom takes me by the hand and brings me to the world where everything is known. It is they, the sacred mushrooms, that speak in a way I can understand. I ask them and they answer me. When I return from the trip that I have taken with them, I tell what they have told me and what they have shown me."
-- Mazatec shaman

OfflineVertigo6911
Entheobotanist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #4928717 - 11/13/05 12:18 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

if u need any info on the drosera let me know, ive been growing them
for a wile and i collected lots of info.

--------------------
My homepage

InvisibleCorporal Kielbasa

#4931746 - 11/14/05 09:43 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

use something harsher then neem oil. kill them kill them till their dead!

OfflineOrganic
Lloyd

Loc: Overlook
Re: Flies - and lots of the tiny buggers - extermination plan? [Re: Corporal Kielbasa]
    #4931772 - 11/14/05 09:50 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

I agree--neem just won't kill a strong infestation. I've had some great success with OMRI's Seaweed Insecticidal soap...spraying it in the growing area and on soil surfaces daily until the infestation is gone (I keep up preventative spraying too).

--------------------

InvisibleCorporal Kielbasa

Re: Flies - and lots of the tiny buggers - extermination plan? [Re: Organic]
    #4931860 - 11/14/05 10:27 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

im also a luvin drunk...So i leave beer bottles from time to time around my plants that arn't totally finished. I noticed gnats love to drown in beer.

OfflineFluxburn
 User Gallery

Loc: Oakland, CA, USA Flag
Re: Flies - and lots of the tiny buggers - extermination plan? [Re: Corporal Kielbasa]
    #4935020 - 11/14/05 10:38 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

neem oil is extremely effective + the sticky fly traps for most flying pests. Fungus knats I would buy perilite or hydrotron and cover the soil surface so the flies cannot lay eggs. I am assuming you are indoors? Otherwise don't some other pest eat the knats?

You can try natural predators, but the cost $30-$40. Those natural predators are very effective though. Ok late

--------------------
ABSTRACT ART (Mine) http://nathanbelomy.com

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck