Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleLenore
enthusiast
is drug use a spiritual journey?
    #491366 - 12/14/01 07:12 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

why do humans use drugs?
why especially in the world we live in today?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleUlysees
Power of Lard

Re: is drug use a spiritual journey? [Re: Lenore]
    #491381 - 12/14/01 07:29 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

Because we can.
There are lots of reasons... In some cultures they're related to very sacred rituals. In others they're demonized but used for recreation.
How you use them is up to you.

--------------------

Anonymous

#491392 - 12/14/01 07:40 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

People use drugs for hundreds of different reasons....

I agree with Ulysees..how you use them is up to you.
They can be used as a spiritual tool, but can also be used for the opposite reason.
How you use them is up to you.

OfflineskaMariaPastora
Utopiate
Loc: MA
    #491398 - 12/14/01 07:47 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

Because humans have an inherent drive to experience novelty, and drugs offer a novel view of reality. But again, how you use this new view of reality is up to you.

Edited by skaMariaPastora (12/14/01 07:48 PM)

InvisibleUlysees
Power of Lard

Re: is drug use a spiritual journey? [Re: skaMariaPastora]
    #491399 - 12/14/01 07:51 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

Wicked avatar... I'm gonna try and go there tonight. :wink:
For spiritual reasons of course.

--------------------

Edited by Ulysees (12/14/01 07:52 PM)

OfflineArchDruid
addict
Loc: Oregon
    #491404 - 12/14/01 07:54 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

"Perception is reality", alter your perception and you alter your reality.
I believe that "drug"(I hate that term) use is a spiritual journey that leads you to enlightenment. Tim leary did a study on how LSD can extentuate the tibetin buddhist experience.
I think the word drug is wrong because in my opinion it only becomes a drug when it takes over your daily functions.
I dont know about anyone else but delving the depths of human consciosness is a worth while venture, as long as your ready for the journey and what revalations that might accompany.
ow, my head feels mushy.
Hell its just plain fun to get high guys, come on lets not kid ourselves. Nice one skaMariaPastora

--------------------
" I have decided to become an example for others, although I have never been one for moderation. I have decided never to eat LSD while asleep, never to refrain while awake, and to never eat less than 10 hits at a time."

OfflineskaMariaPastora
Utopiate
Loc: MA
Re: is drug use a spiritual journey? [Re: Ulysees]
    #491476 - 12/14/01 09:08 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

Of course...me too :)
(your avatar kicks ass too btw, that was a good choice)

OfflineD_Tox
Boddhisattva

Loc: Lab 23
    #491530 - 12/14/01 09:53 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

humans use drugs to alter their state of mind...
they do so in the world we live in today, because society these days is preferable to be lived in an altered state of mind for the majority of humanity

--------------------
-----------------------
D_Tox

to understand other people….to be aware
to understand animals….to be a decent person
to understand plants….. to be a refined individual
to understand the mushroom…to be enlightened

Invisiblevivid
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Berkeley, California
Re: is drug use a spiritual journey? [Re: ArchDruid]
    #491643 - 12/15/01 12:20 AM (22 years, 3 months ago)

I firmly believe in the great potential many drugs have to enhance our experience, grant us new insight and ascend our conscience. I think it is important, however, to remember that it is WE who are ultimately responcible for our revelations. A drug can only help us on our journey. That is why I have stopped using psychedelics myself. I have reach the point where I can learn more about myself and this reality while being sober and finding bridges into altered conscienceness other than drugs. I agree with the rest of you, I think it depends on the person, his/her goals and the drug he uses. You are less likely to be revealed the key to the universe while on cocaine than dmt. Just to cap this babble, I think it can be a valuable squier on your quest for the grail.

Sidenote: Archdruid, You described drug as addiction.. a drug is any foreign substance that alters the way your brain/body functions. Addiction is when that drug takes over your daily life. This isn't to say I dont value the rest of your post. Timothy Leary's research is awesome.

Offlinethe universe
Harbinger ofEldritch Despair
Male

Loc: Under your bed
Re: is drug use a spiritual journey? [Re: vivid]
    #491753 - 12/15/01 04:35 AM (22 years, 3 months ago)

Of course drug use is a spiritual journey. Life is a spiritual journey. Drug use is just one of the more interesting and/or fun parts of it.

--------------------
"If you had a million years to do it in, you couldn't rub out even half the 'Fuck you' signs in the world."- J. D. Salinger

InvisibleThe_Clash_UK
Day Tripper
Loc: UK
    #491857 - 12/15/01 08:23 AM (22 years, 3 months ago)

I think people use drugs to feel better than they do when sober.
Thats why i started, to feel these different altered states of mind, but it feels like a bit of a spiritual journey now

--------------------
Crash a cig guvnor?

OfflineWhiteBoy
journeyman

Loc: California
    #491954 - 12/15/01 11:08 AM (22 years, 3 months ago)

Agree: "LIFE is a spiritual journey...."
Agree: "Humans have an inherent drive for novelty,...."
Spend a lifetime exploring new things. Come to the point where you can't think of doing anything that won't bore you. Now go back to the beginning of your list of experiences and smoke pot through every single one. Now you have new experiences. :) One drug at a time, pairs of drugs, threes and fours of drugs, one would run out of life before he could run out of experiences. To experience everything in every way imaginable (and some ways you never thought of) is the ultimate spiritual journey...time consuming and ultimately quite fulfilling.

--------------------
"Pain for pleasure; pain for adoration; pain is to godliness; bleeding for ecstasy...Divine Pain."
-Morbid Angel

Offlinejonnyshaggs420
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mid-West
Re: is drug use a spiritual journey? [Re: ArchDruid]
    #491961 - 12/15/01 11:20 AM (22 years, 3 months ago)

---"Perception is reality", alter your perception and you alter your reality. ---

Perception is only a portion of reality. Drug induced states only alter our perception and allow us to perceive a different portion of reality. The trick is to be able to reach these states of altered conciousness without the aid of foreign materials. Drugs are just a tool to help us realize we aren't seeing reality in our every day lives. They are there to open a window, or a door. You then must choose to step through into the world they have shown you.

--------------------
Vote Jonnyshaggs in the next election for GOD...Its the responsible choice

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Florida
    #492009 - 12/15/01 12:18 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

Drugs have always been used to alter one's perceptions. Those drugs that 'occasion' transcendental experiences can aid in the acquisition of spiritual meaning in an otherwise mechanical world of birth, procreation and death. It may be that the 'shewbread' that was in the Holy of Holies where the Ark of the Covenant was kept, in the time of Moses and Aaron, was ergot-infested. That means that the shewbread was a specially-tainted-by-the-hand-of-God sacrament that allowed the Hebrews to 'go out and see the glory of God.' This, like the Biblical manna, as a psychedelic agent is speculative. However, the Holy annointing oil used by Moses and Aaron was written as containing 'calamus.' Some people today say it was a mistranslation of the word 'cannabis,' but an oil containing calamus - Acorus Calamus - contains TMA, a precursor to mescaline, and just as active. King James passage in Exodus says calamus. The psychedelic sensitization of Moses, or even Jesus and his friends (hidden in the Bible only with veiled references to special Bread)does not mean that the Reality of God wasn't the thing, only that a Sacrament was necessary to open one's eyes to that Reality. A thimble of grape juice and a half inch square of Wonder Bread is just a shadow of the Real substance of what may have been in use thousands of years ago. We know that the Greek Eleusinian Mystery Rites were practiced for a thousand years using an ergot-laced barley beer - the Sacred Kykeon.

This just addresses "drugs" in their most exalted role in history - in their use as Sacrament. The question of opiates to allay pain and cause addiction and death; or the history of alcohol, for example, all are separate topics. The grape, attributed to the god of inebriation and madness - Dionysius - can be a Sacrament to Christians or a societal poison. The difference is in the Intention.

--------------------
γνῶθι σαὐτόν - Gnothi Seauton - Know Thyself

InvisibleSilent_One
    #492431 - 12/15/01 11:16 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

We are spiritual beings, experiencing a physical existance. Any path one takes is the right one, because in the end...it all chalks up to wisdom.

OfflineArchDruid
addict
Loc: Oregon
Re: is drug use a spiritual journey? [Re: Silent_One]
    #493037 - 12/16/01 03:44 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

I'de just like to say that I love you guys. Damn I wish anyone of sufficient consiquence would actually listen to any of us. But oh well mores pity.
vivid- thank you for the constructive critism, I do belive your right ( I still dont like the term "drug" though).

--------------------
" I have decided to become an example for others, although I have never been one for moderation. I have decided never to eat LSD while asleep, never to refrain while awake, and to never eat less than 10 hits at a time."

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale