Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineCloakandDagger
Stranger
Planting el poppies.
    #4899826 - 11/06/05 09:03 AM (18 years, 4 months ago)

So it's November here in the south and I have come to understand that this is the planting season for our good friend poppy.  I have persian white and giganteum strains to be planted.  How do I go about this though, since I am useless at botany.  Can I simply plant them in the ground cause that would be nice :smile:.  Thanks~

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRetired
Re: Planting el poppies. [Re: CloakandDagger]
    #4899831 - 11/06/05 09:05 AM (18 years, 4 months ago)

You can do whatever you want but for results I would not just stick them in the ground. I would recomend that you send them to me so I can plant them.

OfflineEl_Presidente
Stranger
Loc: Montreal, Canada
Re: Planting el poppies. [Re: Retired]
    #4900302 - 11/06/05 12:05 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

I tried growing them this summer, for some reason they took 3 months to grow 2 inches so when fall came all I had was a bunch of seedlings.

Are you planning on geurilla farming or do you have a garden or space to plant them?

Im no expert on growing poppies, I havent been able to do it myself but id say if you have a space you should the area until you have a nice large bed with loose, ideal soil then spread the seeds out all over the bed and spread a thin layer of soil on top of them.

In India they keep spreading seeds all over the bed every week until poppies come up, soon enough the bed will be full of them. Try to spread the seeds well so when they start growing theyre not on top of each other. Thats the mistake I made, its a real bitch having to replant a thousand tiny poppy seedlings.

Remember tiny seeds will make tiny seedlings so make sure you dont cover the seeds with too much soil or the seedlings will suffocate before they can come up.

OfflinePingasa
Stranger
Re: Planting el poppies. [Re: El_Presidente]
    #4924921 - 11/12/05 01:35 AM (18 years, 4 months ago)

Whatever you do, do not plant poppy seeds in the ground. The way to grow them is toss them right on top the dirt in a cleared out area which means no grass or other plants for at least a couple feet. No burying at all otherwise the seedlings wont be able to pop through the soil.Break up the soil too so its not too hard and compact maybe even place some new soil on top. In short just sprinkle some seeds about and see what pops up. The real problem i can think of would be ants and a couple of other small bugs maybe. Ants are the worst theyll just carry the seeds right off and youll never see em again. Id say whereve you plant the seeds maybe lay down a couple of ant killers a few days before that could help.

Edited by Pingasa (11/12/05 01:42 AM)

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Re: Planting el poppies. [Re: CloakandDagger]
    #4925522 - 11/12/05 11:32 AM (18 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

CloakandDagger said:
So it's November here in the south and I have come to understand that this is the planting season for our good friend poppy.  I have persian white and giganteum strains to be planted.  How do I go about this though, since I am useless at botany.  Can I simply plant them in the ground cause that would be nice :smile:.  Thanks~

the easiest way I've found was to mix the seeds with sand, you can get better
dispersal of the seeds that way, less thinning when they come up, once the seeds
are on the ground (disturbed soil is best) take ashes from your fire place
and scatter them about the area, ashes contain potasium that the seeds like for
germination

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds