Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
Loc: London Flag
Trusted Cultivator
POLL (reworded, pls re-vote) - SPLITTING THE GROW FORUMS
    #4889263 - 11/03/05 03:08 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

here we go again.....

Do you think we should split the Mush Cult into 2 forums, a Beginners forum and an Intermediate forum? (in addition to the Advanced forum)

or do you think this idea could be tweaked further?
Do you think we should split the Mush Cult into 2 forums, a Beginners forum and an Intermediate forum?
You may choose only one

Votes accepted from (11/03/05 03:07 PM) to (No end specified)
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll

--------------------
buh

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Anonymous

Post deleted by Anno [Re: shirley knott]
    #4889335 - 11/03/05 03:22 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

InvisibleFooMan
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Earth Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: POLL (reworded, pls re-vote) - SPLITTING THE GROW FORUMS [Re: shirley knott]
    #4889352 - 11/03/05 03:26 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

I posted this idea in the SA&F forum, which is my alternative to adding another forum that would likely become a nightmare for the mods:

I think one way would be to have a waiting period before being able to post, not view the culti forums. When a new member attempts their first post in these forums, they will get a message that basically says something like:

"To help curb some of the redundant questions being asked in this forum, all new users will be required to wait X amount of time before being allowed to post. We believe that this will encourage new users to find the answers to basic questions by searching for them on the site, rather than posting a question that has been answered many times before. Most any question you could possibly ask has been answered at one time or another here. Please take this time to learn how to use our search function and read carefully through the FAQ's and previous threads, as they contain a wealth of information that is sure to answer almost any question you could have. Of course, if you still have questions after the waiting period, feel free to post them at that time."

Just another idea :grin:

--------------------

Quick WBS Prep

InvisibleFooMan
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: POLL (reworded, pls re-vote) - SPLITTING THE GROW FORUMS [Re: ]
    #4889362 - 11/03/05 03:28 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

And to follow up on what Richard said, try to tweak the search feature a little, so that it's easier for noobs to navigate.

--------------------

Quick WBS Prep

Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
Loc: London Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: POLL (reworded, pls re-vote) - SPLITTING THE GROW FORUMS [Re: FooMan]
    #4889424 - 11/03/05 03:41 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

great feedback, thanks richard and fooman  :thumbup:

keep it coming.

those of us working in the forums want it to be easier for us (less thread moving) and better for you (so you are surrounded by similar-level growers who may have encountered the same question, as well as forum mods, who know how to cultivate)

but we know you all want an expert on hand all the time to answer your specific question. and we know you're too lazy to go search for it in the FAQ, you lazy stoners  :wink: :spliff:

so help us out here. the more constructive criticism, the better.

if yes, why?
if yes but tweak, why?
if no, why?

:heart:

--------------------
buh

OfflineWhiteBunny
How deep doesthe rabbit hole go?
 User Gallery

Loc: Earth
    #4889434 - 11/03/05 03:43 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

I do get tired even though I am new, of reading the same old "what strain is the best?", "What are the best materials for making the best shrooms?" "How long does this and that take", "How many mushrooms will I get?". This is just a few of the many. I would like it a forum for the basic questions like stated above and then another one for questions more advanced but not so much it's in the advanced forum. For example: " How do I get a better pin set"
AT least that's my opinion

--------------------

OfflineKaptKid
Spaced Pirate
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bright Side of the Sun
Re: POLL (reworded, pls re-vote) - SPLITTING THE GROW FORUMS [Re: WhiteBunny]
    #4889685 - 11/03/05 04:39 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

This site is going to keep growing.That means more and more new people asking the same old ?'s.

Even the newbies get tired of repeated ?'s

Great poll agar.

:sun:

--------------------
Child of the 60's, Tripping ever since.

:sun:

InvisibleOmnicracker
Crusted Trolltivator

Loc: Wal-Merica
Trusted Cultivator
Re: POLL (reworded, pls re-vote) - SPLITTING THE GROW FORUMS [Re: KaptKid]
    #4889865 - 11/03/05 05:11 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

here are some concerns of mine:

1- im a "newbie" here as far as posting goes, i didnt even know this place existed, but ive been growing for many years off and on. how would someone like me skip a waiting period (like what fooman said) or a mandatory time in the beginners lounge? maybe special permission from a mod if PMed.
2- beginners, more than actually needing the information, need to hear it said by someone they trust has the knowledge. growing on your own is hard, i wish i would have found this place sooner. i think it helps new members a great deal to be able to share and listen to the rest of us. reassurance is important.

i think that the best solution to this problem would be a rearranging of the website itself. many of the teks can onlybe found by digging through months/years of posts in the clut forum. some teks are buried deep in the bowels of the shroomery. how about some sort of welcome page with like 2 teks of each aspect of growing in a nice list. when someone signs up, they would get directed to this, if they know it all already, they have the option to skip it.
like links to:
where to find what you need; i mean everything
sterization: alcohol, lysol, H2O2, flow hoods, gloves masks.
where to buy spores/syringes
LC
Pf Tek
WBS: soaking, simmering
Poo: making, wiping, looking for blood...

whatever, you get the idea, i know that there are pages for most of this stuff already, so just complile a list of essential links and make it mandatory to veiw it once you sign up. maybe a footnote saying how sarcastic and peevish everyone in the cult forum is. just an idea.. i hope thats clear. this is a great place, it ust need to be refurbished a bit.

OMNI

--------------------

xxx..Learn Something..xxx

InvisibleOmnicracker
Crusted Trolltivator

Trusted Cultivator
Re: POLL (reworded, pls re-vote) - SPLITTING THE GROW FORUMS [Re: Omnicracker]
    #4889904 - 11/03/05 05:18 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

like roadkill's "please read" page, but mandatory and more information:
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/1435580/an/0/page/0

--------------------

Offlineswingline
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: POLL (reworded, pls re-vote) - SPLITTING THE GROW FORUMS [Re: shirley knott]
    #4889929 - 11/03/05 05:23 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

i imagine this has been said before but i think most would have the tendency to move up to the intermediate forum to get better answers and those who are annoyed now will just be more annoyed when they get the false sense of security in an intermediate forum.  also, some people's ego might prevent them from seeing themselves as beginners.  i see this as a waste of time an it's virtually impossible to isolate oneself from nincompoopery.  keeping the status quo and ignoring people that are asking repeat questions without researching is the easiest way to solve this problem.

another point- if you are interested in the theory of relativity and you have the choice of asking Einstien or looking in an encyclopedia, which would you do?  i'm sure some see the forum as a way to bypass research.

maybe making reading the rules and cult. faq a requirement before allowing new users to post instead of requesting it may help.

well, those are my thoughts.  but, really :whocares:

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
Re: POLL (reworded, pls re-vote) - SPLITTING THE GROW FORUMS [Re: swingline]
    #4889998 - 11/03/05 05:40 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

swingline said: well, those are my thoughts.  but, really :whocares:

Just trying to make this a BETTER place, I., E., more useful / productive & easy to navigate, so new hands don't have to wade through so much data, to get done, what they want to accomplish.

--------------------

InvisibleFooMan
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #4890398 - 11/03/05 07:04 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Omnicracker said:
here are some concerns of mine:

1- im a "newbie" here as far as posting goes, i didnt even know this place existed, but ive been growing for many years off and on. how would someone like me skip a waiting period (like what fooman said) or a mandatory time in the beginners lounge? maybe special permission from a mod if PMed.

I'm sure the mods would have no problem granting you access if needed.

Quote:

2- beginners, more than actually needing the information, need to hear it said by someone they trust has the knowledge.

I agree, but if you follow the teks on the site, you can't go wrong. They are listed as teks because they are proven to work, trust the teks, they work if you really READ THEM. I started growing before the Shroomery even existed using the original PF tek from the fanaticus website and a PF syringe. I followed the directions and didn't need someone holding my hand the whole time. It worked back then, with just basic instructions. Sometimes it's hard for me to understand why noobs seem to need someone to tell them "It's OK" all the time. It seems that they aren't reading the tek well enough or don't believe it and jumping into the forums first gets them more confused because evryone has a different way or a "better" way. Try the teks first and seek improvements once you get the basics down.

Quote:

i think that the best solution to this problem would be a rearranging of the website itself.

I agree some tweaking couldn't hurt

Quote:

many of the teks can onlybe found by digging through months/years of posts in the clut forum. some teks are buried deep in the bowels of the shroomery.

I disagree. The actual teks can be found by clicking on "mushroom cultivation" here and clicking the subsequent easy-to-follow links.

I think, if anything, that it should be harder to find the community forums themselves, so that noobs don't just go straight there to ask questions and get more confused by the varying opinions they get.

--------------------

Quick WBS Prep

InvisibleOmnicracker
Crusted Trolltivator

Trusted Cultivator
    #4890698 - 11/03/05 07:52 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

youre right on fooman, i was just spitting out ideas. i must have started the same time/method you did (i was 14 yrs old... jesus), and made up my own style and i turned out fine, but some people are just dumb. we must help them. or maybe dumb people shouldnt grow mushrooms. i still think a that a nice start to finish for each method should be readily available and at the forefront of the site, industry standards, like the MMGG. nothing fancy.

Quote:

FooManShroom said:
It seems that they aren't reading the tek well enough or don't believe it and jumping into the forums first gets them more confused because evryone has a different way or a "better" way. ... so that noobs don't just go straight there to ask questions and get more confused by the varying opinions they get.

this is a very important point, how can this be avoided. maybe some thing in the signature/avatar if youre on your first grow. when you sign up, you get asked if its your first grow (or somesort of experience question) and if so, when you submit, it takes you to a simple PF tek. also nicely explaining that this is how you learn, and that tere are no good ways to make fat monster potent shrooms and thousands of dollars right away.

--------------------

InvisibleFooMan
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #4891082 - 11/03/05 09:15 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Omnicracker said:
  i still think a that a nice start to finish for each method should be readily available and at the forefront of the site, industry standards, like the MMGG.  nothing fancy.

:thumbup:

--------------------

Quick WBS Prep

Anonymous

Post deleted by Anno [Re: FooMan]
    #4891525 - 11/03/05 10:42 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

InvisibleMagash
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
Re: POLL (reworded, pls re-vote) - SPLITTING THE GROW FORUMS [Re: ]
    #4892510 - 11/04/05 03:23 AM (18 years, 4 months ago)

Does anybody read the threads in this forum? This is a beginners forum.

So if they want to go by post count for people to get into the intermediate forum I hope they set the number at 2000 so people can earn it. I've heard ideas like give people a test to see if they know enough to get into the forums (lame). Beginners are gonna look up the answers and now they are know it alls.

If people don't like the same questions over and over again don't click the threads. People coming here for the first time don't know it's been asked a bunch of times and don't deserve to be slammed for it.

Funny thing is we are all guilty of doing it. Every single one of us should go back and read our first ten threads. Then think about how you'd like being slammed for asking it. Sorry folks people aren't gonna look up the answer when they think the forums are for those same questions. (like I said we all did it)

I don't know I find it a lot less of a hassle to answer their questions or at least give them half the answer and point them in the right direction to look up the rest. Now they know about the faq and had their question most of the way answered rather then bitch and whine about it cause we think we are intermediate growers.

In the first 100 threads in this forum there are exactly 6 threads that wouldn't be moved to the beginners forum.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

InvisibleGnuBobo
Frilly Cuffs Extraordinaire
 User Gallery

Loc: Charisma
Re: POLL (reworded, pls re-vote) - SPLITTING THE GROW FORUMS [Re: Magash]
    #4892571 - 11/04/05 04:20 AM (18 years, 4 months ago)

EXACTLY!  Make the lettering of the FAQ very clear.  It will take some modifications, but, yes....

You have an uber-newb forum (just starting out).  That forum can have its own FAQ or what have you.  I'm not a mod, and I'm certainly not an advanced grower, but some of the questions I have--especially on general mycological techniques, would be suited for an "intermediate" forum. 

The advanced forum is more for people like the mods and some of the vendors. 

The intermediate forum might be for people asking advice for more technical details or odd questions, but those that clutter up the "Basic" cult forum.

The "Basic" cult forum should be just what that title suggests.  Links stickied toward faq threads as--and I'm not a mod or an advanced grower--they generally answer most newb questions. 

The basic cult forum is like "How do I mist my cakes" and "how is my terriarium."  Then the advanced forum is Workman posting about unidentified species that blue after picking that were found on the east coast. 

That's a bit of a chasm, there. 

Anyway, I'd suggest a "Basic" forum with a disclaimer.  "READ.  SEARCH. SEARCH.  SEARCH." links to the same faq or whatever. 

An intermediate forum would be helpful for people like myself that are interested in general mycology but can't speak intelligently/from experience to some of the posters that use the advanced forum. 

Then you can have the Greasers Under the Bleachers forum for the advanced hipsters.  :smile:

Well, that's my story.  :stoned:  :rockon:

--------------------
Jerry Garcia. JERRY GARCIA! JERRY GARCIA!!!!

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
Re: POLL (reworded, pls re-vote) - SPLITTING THE GROW FORUMS [Re: Magash]
    #4892574 - 11/04/05 04:23 AM (18 years, 4 months ago)

CERTAINLY, THIS IS THE BEGINNERS CULTIVATION FORUM.

As there is no other option, at this time.

In the future, there may be another option.

That issue & choice is what this poll is all about. :rolleyes:

78% of the votes cast in the former  POLL HERE voted for a division into 3 cult forums (Beginner - Intermediate & Advanced).

78% is a majority - where I come from. :wink:

I would speculate the percentage for a division will be about the same in this poll, when it runs it's course.

Or, don't VOTES matter - here.

--------------------

InvisibleGnuBobo
Frilly Cuffs Extraordinaire
 User Gallery

Loc: Charisma
Re: POLL (reworded, pls re-vote) - SPLITTING THE GROW FORUMS [Re: agar]
    #4892582 - 11/04/05 04:33 AM (18 years, 4 months ago)

You must live in Canada, you commie monarchist panda queen.  :wink:  Throw me some royal money.  :shocked:

--------------------
Jerry Garcia. JERRY GARCIA! JERRY GARCIA!!!!

OfflineX24
pornstar
 User Gallery

Re: POLL (reworded, pls re-vote) - SPLITTING THE GROW FORUMS [Re: GnuBobo]
    #4892668 - 11/04/05 06:26 AM (18 years, 4 months ago)

i would still go back and help the fresh newbies. when i reply to a post its not because of any obligation. its because i have the time and want to help in the learning process. i look upto some of you as mycologists, and someday i want to be looked upto as one of the "pros", that doesnt happen with out alot of re-enforced learning and repetitive expirience. i think it is a good idea to split the forum into three.

--------------------
X II IV

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder