Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleMike_yy
Male User Gallery

Help ID ing some local shrooms ?
    #4888487 - 11/03/05 12:11 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

Hello today,

Ive been out on walk / hunt, and i found these shrooms. Can anybody help teach a starter hunter by identifying them.These were found in Yorkshire, England.

First one..

Cap        - 4 by 6 inch diameter (ovate), tacky to touch. Greyish beige in color, darker at the center.
Gills      - Off white/beige, not attatched to stem.
Stem      - Almost bone shaped(ovate), bigger at base, Fibrous but easily broken.
Spor print - lightish brown.
habitat    - Found at the edge of a field with crops growing around.Just in the mud where it had been ploughed.Hawthorn hedges were near by.

Notes : If you notice on the picture where the gills meet the stem there is a gap which you could stick your finger behind, the gills don't seem to be attached to the cap.

Second ones are..

Cap        - Slight dome to concaved, light to dark caramel in color, lighter right at the edge.
Gills      - Caramel colored ( bit lighter than cap ), not attached to stem
Stem        - Same color as the cap, fibrous, finely hollow.
Spore print - lightish brown.
Habitat    - Found infront of a hawthron hedge

Notes : These have a strong slightly off mushroom odour. No bluing :frown:

The next one fell off my bin so its quite badly damaged. I wasn't going to use it so i won't go into much detail about it. You might know what it is anyway..

Notes : This shroom smells very nice. The ring on the stem can be moved about.

Thank you for any replies !.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineeris
underground
Male User Gallery

Loc: North East, USA
Trusted Identifier
Re: Help ID ing some local shrooms ? [Re: Mike_yy]
    #4888553 - 11/03/05 12:30 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

The second one ilooks a lot like a laccaria, probably laccaria laccata. I'm confused by the "lightish brown" spore print color though.
Third one looks like a lepiota if the spore print is white.
Are you sure you got the spore color of the first two right? Did you let them drop a thick print?

Was there a pinkish hue to the spore print of the first one at all?

--------------------
Immortal / Temporarily Retired
The OG Thread Killer
My mushroom hunting gallery

InvisibleMike_yy
Male User Gallery

Re: Help ID ing some local shrooms ? [Re: eris]
    #4889237 - 11/03/05 03:04 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

The first one has a rust colored spor print, carn't really see pink in it.

The second one is still hard to tell but id say its light brown.

The third is white.

Thank you for your help.

Edited by Mike_yy (11/03/05 03:05 PM)

InvisibleBi0TeK
elephant man

Loc: Yorkshire Moors, Great Br...
    #4889918 - 11/03/05 05:20 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

The first looks like Pluteus cervinus (the fawn/deer mushroom) although it should have a pink spore print, not rust. You sure about the color?

Second one looks like Laccaria laccata (the deceiver) as eris pointed out but the spores should be white, not "lightish brown."

Last one is a Lepiota.

--------------------

--------------------
PROMOTE BACTERIA. THEY'RE THE ONLY CULTURE SOME PEOPLE HAVE.

InvisibleMike_yy
Male User Gallery

Re: Help ID ing some local shrooms ? [Re: Bi0TeK]
    #4890382 - 11/03/05 07:01 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

Just reading now, pluteus cervinus(looks similar) grows mainly on hardwood stumps, and the stem is of even diameter, my shroom was found on soil. The stipe was oval and fat at the base,it looks like a bone now ive taken the cap off.
spor print is definately rusty.

Strange mushroom..but i like it.

ill leave the prints overnight and post photos of them tomorrow.

The lepiota smells edible, and i read some are, would you eat this variety.
I could maked a wicked omelette with one of them.

Edited by Mike_yy (11/03/05 07:20 PM)

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #4892000 - 11/03/05 11:57 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

I agree with the others that the first one resembles Pluteus cervinus. Incidentally, the description of a rusty brown spore print color and growth on the ground points to Cortinarius, in which case we should see remnants of a cortina on the cap edge or the stem. I don't see any sign at all of a cortina. When checking the spore print color, make sure you do the spore print on white paper and look at it in sunlight. Using indoor lighting is likely to distort the appearance of the color. Note also that the pink color described for spore prints is rarely a vivid pink - the color could easily be mistaken for an odd brown.

The second ones look, as suggested already, like Laccarias. The spore print color for Laccaria is white to pale lilac.

The last one looks like a Lepiota. Try cutting the stem and see what color it turns right away. If it turns brown right away then you should not eat it. Also, some people have gastric upsets after eating Lepiotas, so eat only a small amount (a piece not larger than your fingernail) the first time and wait overnight before eating more. Be certain that the spore print is white, and that you're actually getting a spore print. There is a case on record of somebody being severely poisoned by a specimen of Chlorophyllum molybdites that didn't produce any spores so the victim mistakenly thought that the spores must be white.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

InvisibleBi0TeK
elephant man

Loc: Yorkshire Moors, Great Br...
    #4892651 - 11/04/05 06:07 AM (18 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

mikeyyork said:
Just reading now, pluteus cervinus(looks similar) grows mainly on hardwood stumps, my shroom was found on soil.

It could have been growing off buried wood.

--------------------

--------------------
PROMOTE BACTERIA. THEY'RE THE ONLY CULTURE SOME PEOPLE HAVE.

InvisibleMike_yy
Male User Gallery

Re: Help ID ing some local shrooms ? [Re: ToxicMan]
    #4892670 - 11/04/05 06:29 AM (18 years, 4 months ago)

Heres a spor print pic.

The first mushroom has an overall rusty look but in some places where spors have settled finely there is a slight pinkish look to it.

The third is definitely white though i dont think this type is one of the edible ones (Stem went brown).

I think i messed about with the second one too much and i wasn't able to get a clear spor print. I would still say light brown but this could easily be staining from the shroom.

ill post another picture later when im allowed to.

Thank you all again, your knowledge and enthusiasm is quite inspiring.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates