Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinelonestar2004
Live to party,work to affordit.
 User Gallery

Loc: South Texas
Joe Wilson's Top Ten Worst Inaccuracies And Misstatements
    #4888459 - 11/03/05 12:04 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

Thursday, July 14, 2005
Joe Wilson's Top Ten Worst Inaccuracies And Misstatements

1.) Wilson Insisted That The Vice President?s Office Sent Him To Niger:

Wilson Said He Traveled To Niger At CIA Request To Help Provide Response To Vice President?s Office. ?In February 2002, I was informed by officials at the Central Intelligence Agency that Vice President Dick Cheney?s office had questions about a particular intelligence report. ? The agency officials asked if I would travel to Niger to check out the story so they could provide a response to the vice president?s office.? (Joseph C. Wilson, Op-Ed, ?What I Didn?t Find In Africa,? The New York Times, 7/6/03)

Joe Wilson: ?[W]hat They Did, What The Office Of The Vice President Did, And, In Fact, I Believe Now From Mr. Libby?s Statement, It Was Probably The Vice President Himself ...? (CNN?s ?Late Edition,? 8/3/03)
Vice President Cheney: ?I Don?t Know Joe Wilson. I?ve Never Met Joe Wilson. ? And Joe Wilson - I Don?t [Know] Who Sent Joe Wilson. He Never Submitted A Report That I Ever Saw When He Came Back.? (NBC?s ?Meet The Press,? 9/14/03)

CIA Director George Tenet: ?In An Effort To Inquire About Certain Reports Involving Niger, CIA?s Counter-Proliferation Experts, On Their Own Initiative, Asked An Individual With Ties To The Region To Make A Visit To See What He Could Learn.? (Central Intelligence Agency, ?Statement By George J. Tenet, Director Of Central Intelligence,? Press Release, 7/11/03)

2.) Wilson Claimed The Vice President And Other Senior White House Officials Were Briefed On His Niger Report:

?[Wilson] Believed That [His Report] Would Have Been Distributed To The White House And That The Vice President Received A Direct Response To His Question About The Possible Uranium Deal.? (Senate Select Committee On Intelligence, ?Report On The U.S. Intelligence Community?s Prewar Assessments On Iraq,? 7/7/04)

The Senate Select Committee On Intelligence Reported That The Vice President Was Not Briefed On Wilson?s Report. ?Conclusion 14. The Central Intelligence Agency should have told the Vice President and other senior policymakers that it had sent someone to Niger to look into the alleged Iraq-Niger uranium deal and it should have briefed the Vice President on the former ambassador?s findings.? (Senate Select Committee On Intelligence, ?Report On The U.S. Intelligence Community?s Prewar Assessments On Iraq,? 7/7/04)

CIA Director George Tenet: ?Because This Report, In Our View, Did Not Resolve Whether Iraq Was Or Was Not Seeking Uranium From Abroad, It Was Given A Normal And Wide Distribution, But We Did Not Brief It To The President, Vice-President Or Other Senior Administration Officials.? (Central Intelligence Agency, ?Statement By George J. Tenet, Director Of Central Intelligence,? Press Release, 7/11/03)

3.) Wilson Has Claimed His Niger Report Was Conclusive And Significant

Wilson Claims His Trip Proved There Was Nothing To The Uranium ?Allegations.? ?I knew that [Dr. Rice] had fundamentally misstated the facts. In fact, she had lied about it. I had gone out and I had undertaken this study. I had come back and said that this was not feasible. ? This government knew that there was nothing to these allegations.? (NBC?s, ?Meet The Press,? 5/2/04)

Officials Said Evidence In Wilson?s Niger Report Was ?Thin? And His ?Homework Was Shoddy.? (Michael Duffy, ?Leaking With A Vengeance,? Time, 10/13/03)

Senate Select Committee On Intelligence Unanimous Report: ?Conclusion 13. The Report On The Former Ambassador?s Trip To Niger, Disseminated In March 2002, Did Not Change Any Analysts? Assessments Of The Iraq-Niger Uranium Deal.? (Senate Select Committee On Intelligence, ?Report On The U.S. Intelligence Community?s Prewar Assessments On Iraq,? 7/7/04)
?For Most Analysts, The Information In The Report Lent More Credibility To The Original Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) Report On The Uranium Deal, But State Department Bureau Of Intelligence And Research (INR) Analysts Believed That The Report Supported Their Assessments That Niger Was Unlikely To Be Willing Or Able To Sell Uranium.? (Senate Select Committee On Intelligence, ?Report On The U.S. Intelligence Community?s Prewar Assessments On Iraq,? 7/7/04)
CIA Said Wilson?s Findings Did Not Resolve The Issue. ?Because [Wilson?s] report, in our view, did not resolve whether Iraq was or was not seeking uranium from abroad, it was given a normal and wide distribution, but we did not brief it to the president, vice president or other senior administration officials. We also had to consider that the former Nigerien officials knew that what they were saying would reach the U.S. government and that this might have influenced what they said.? (Central Intelligence Agency, ?Statement By George J. Tenet, Director Of Central Intelligence,? Press Release 7/11/03)

The Butler Report Claimed That The President?s State Of the Union Statement On Uranium From Africa, ?Was Well-Founded.? ?We conclude that, on the basis of the intelligence assessments at the time, covering both Niger and the Democratic Republic of Congo, the statements on Iraqi attempts to buy uranium from Africa in the Government?s dossier, and by the Prime Minister in the House of Commons, were well-founded. By extension, we conclude also that the statement in President Bush?s State of the Union Address of 28 January 2003 that: ?The British Government has learned that Saddam Hussein recently sought significant quantities of uranium from Africa.? was well-founded.? (The Rt. Hon. The Lord Butler Of Brockwell, ?Review Of Intelligence, On Weapons Of Mass Destruction,? 7/14/04)

4.) Wilson Denied His Wife Suggested He Travel To Niger In 2002:

Wilson Claimed His Wife Did Not Suggest He Travel To Niger To Investigate Reports Of Uranium Deal; Instead, Wilson Claims It Came Out Of Meeting With CIA. CNN?s Wolf Blitzer: ?Among other things, you had always said, always maintained, still maintain your wife, Valerie Plame, a CIA officer, had nothing to do with the decision to send to you Niger to inspect reports that uranium might be sold from Niger to Iraq. ? Did Valerie Plame, your wife, come up with the idea to send you to Niger?? Joe Wilson: ?No. My wife served as a conduit, as I put in my book. When her supervisors asked her to contact me for the purposes of coming into the CIA to discuss all the issues surrounding this allegation of Niger selling uranium to Iraq.? (CNN?s ?Late Edition,? 7/18/04)

But Senate Select Committee On Intelligence Received Not Only Testimony But Actual Documentation Indicating Wilson?s Wife Proposed Him For Trip. ?Some CPD, [CIA Counterproliferation Division] officials could not recall how the office decided to contact the former ambassador, however, interviews and documents provided to the Committee indicate that his wife, a CPD employee, suggested his name for the trip. The CPD reports officer told Committee staff that the former ambassador?s wife ?offered up his name? and a memorandum to the Deputy Chief of the CPD on February 12, 2002, from the former ambassador?s wife says, ?my husband has good relations with both the PM [prime minister] and the former Minister of Mines (not to mention lots of French contacts), both of whom could possibly shed light on this sort of activity.?? (Select Committee On Intelligence, ?Report On The U.S. Intelligence Community?s Prewar Intelligence Assessments On Iraq,? U.S. Senate, 7/7/04)
5.) Wilson Has Claimed His 1999 Trip To Niger Was Not Suggested By His Wife:

Wilson Claims CIA Thought To Ask Him To Make Trip Because He Had Previously Made Trip For Them In 1999, Not Because Of His Wife?s Suggestion. CNN?s Wolf Blitzer: ?Who first raised your name, then, based on what you know? Who came up with the idea to send you there?? Joe Wilson: ?The CIA knew my name from a trip, and it?s in the report, that I had taken in 1999 related to uranium activities but not related to Iraq. I had served for 23 years in government including as Bill Clinton?s Senior Director for African Affairs at the National Security Council. I had done a lot of work with the Niger government during a period punctuated by a military coup and a subsequent assassination of a president. So I knew all the people there.? (CNN?s ?Late Edition,? 7/18/04)

In Fact, His Wife Suggested Him For 1999 Trip, As Well. ?The former ambassador had traveled previously to Niger on the CIA?s behalf ? The former ambassador was selected for the 1999 trip after his wife mentioned to her supervisors that her husband was planning a business trip to Niger in the near future and might be willing to use his contacts in the region ?? (Select Committee On Intelligence, ?Report On The U.S. Intelligence Community?s Prewar Intelligence Assessments On Iraq,? U.S. Senate, 7/7/04)

6.) Wilson Claimed He Was A Victim Of A Partisan Smear Campaign

Joe Wilson: ?Well, I Don?t Know. Obviously, There?s Been This Orchestrated Campaign, This Smear Campaign. I Happen To Think That It?s Because The RNC, The Republican National Committee?s Been Involved In This In A Big Way ?? CNN?s Wolf Blitzer: ?But They Weren?t Involved In The Senate Intelligence Committee Report.? Wilson: ?No, They Weren?t.? (CNN?s ?Late Edition,? 7/18/04)

Senate Intelligence Committee Unanimously Concluded That Wilson?s Report ?Lent More Credibility? For Most Analysts ?To The Original Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) Reports.? ?Conclusion 13. The report on the former ambassador?s trip to Niger, disseminated in March 2002, did not change any analysts? assessments of the Iraq-Niger uranium deal. For most analysts, the information in the report lent more credibility to the original Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) reports on the uranium deal, but the State Department Bureau of Intelligence and Research (INR) analysts believed that the report supported their assessment that Niger was unlikely to be willing or able to sell uranium to Iraq.? (Select Committee On Intelligence, ?Report On The U.S. Intelligence Community?s Prewar Intelligence Assessments On Iraq,? U.S. Senate, 7/7/04)

Members Of The Senate Select Committee On Intelligence That Wrote The Unanimous ?Report On The U.S. Intelligence Community?s Prewar Intelligence Assessments On Iraq?:

Sen. Jay Rockefeller (D-WV)

Sen. Carl Levin (D-MI)

Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-CA)

Sen. Ron Wyden (D-OR)

Sen. Richard Durbin (D-IL)

Sen. Evan Bayh (D-IN)

Sen. John Edwards (D-NC)

Sen. Barbara Mikulski (D-MD)

Sen. Pat Roberts (R-KS)

Sen. Orrin Hatch (R-UT)

Sen. Mike DeWine (R-OH)

Sen. Christopher Bond (R-MO)

Sen. Trent Lott (R-MS)

Sen. Olympia Snowe (R-ME)

Sen. Chuck Hagel (R-NE)

Sen. Saxby Chambliss (R-GA)

Sen. John Warner (R-VA)

(Select Committee On Intelligence, ?Report On The U.S. Intelligence Community?s Prewar Intelligence Assessments On Iraq,? U.S. Senate, 7/7/04)

7.) A Month Before The Bob Novak And Matthew Cooper Articles Ever Came Out, Wilson Told The Washington Post That Previous Intelligence Reports About Niger Were Based On Forged Documents:

In June Of 2003, Wilson Told The Washington Post ?The Niger Intelligence Was Based On Documents That Had Clearly Been Forged Because ?The Dates Were Wrong And The Names Were Wrong.?? (Susan Schmidt, ?Plame?s Input Is Cited On Niger Mission,? The Washington Post, 7/10/04)

However, ?The [Senate Select Committee On Intelligence] Report ? Said Wilson Provided Misleading Information To The Washington Post Last June [12th, 2003].? (Susan Schmidt, ?Plame?s Input Is Cited On Niger Mission,? The Washington Post, 7/10/04)

Senate Select Committee On Intelligence Unanimous Report: ?The Former Ambassador Said That He May Have ?Misspoken? To The Reporter When He Said He Concluded The Documents Were ?Forged.?? (Senate Select Committee On Intelligence, ?Report On The U.S. Intelligence Community?s Prewar Assessments On Iraq,? 7/7/04)
8.) Wilson Claimed His Book Would Enrich Debate:

NBC?s Katie Couric: ?What Do You Hope The Whole Point Of This Book Will Be? Joe Wilson: ?Well, I - I Hope, One, It Will Tell - It Tries To Tell An Interesting Story. Two, I Hope That It Enriches The Debate In A Year In Which We Are All Called Upon As Americans To Elect Our Leaders. And Three, ? That [It] Says That This Is A Great Democracy That Is Worthy Of Our Taking Our Responsibilities As Stewards Seriously.? (NBC?s ?Today Show,? 5/3/04)

Wilson Admits In His Book That He Had Been Involved In ?A Little Literary Flair? When Talking To Reporters. ?[Wilson] wrote in his book, he told Committee staff that his assertion may have involved ?a little literary flair.?? (Matthew Continetti, ??A Little Literary Flair?? The Weekly Standard, 7/26/04)

Wilson?s Book The Politics Of Truth: Inside The Lies That Put The White House On Trial And Betrayed My Wife?s CIA Identity Has Been Panned In Numerous Reviews For Its Inaccuracies:

?On Page One Of Chapter One, He Quotes NBC Talk Show Host Chris Matthews, Who Told Him That, After Mr. Wilson Chose To Go Public: ?Wilson?s Wife Is Fair Game.? Later, He Bases His List Of Suspect Leakers On Conversations With Members Of The News Media And A ?Source Close To The House Judiciary Committee.?? (Eli Lake, Op-Ed, ?Don?t Quit Your Day Job, Mr. Wilson,? New York Post, 5/4/04)

?For Example, When Asked How He ?Knew? That The Intelligence Community Had Rejected The Possibility Of A Niger-Iraq Uranium Deal, As He Wrote In His Book, He Told [Senate Intelligence] Committee Staff That His Assertion May Have Involved ?A Little Literary Flair.?? (Matthew Continetti, ??A Little Literary Flair,?? The Weekly Standard, 7/26/04)

The Boston Globe: ?In Essence, Much Of Wilson?s Book Is An Attempt To Portray The Bush Administration As A Ministry Of Fear Whose Mission In Pursuing War In Iraq Required It To Proclaim A Lie As Truth.? (Michael D. Langan, Op-Ed, ??Truth? Makes Much Of Bush Controversy,? The Boston Globe, 5/4/04)

Newsweek?s Evan Thomas Wrote In The Washington Post: ?[W]ilson?s Claims And Conclusions Are Either Long Hashed Over Or Based On What The Intelligence Business Describes As ?Rumint,? Or Rumor Intelligence.? (Evan Thomas, Op-Ed, ?Indecent Exposure,? The Washington Post, 5/16/04)
9.) Wilson Claimed The CIA Provided Him With Information Related To The Iraq-Niger Uranium Transaction:

?The Former Ambassador Noted That His CIA Contacts Told Him There Were Documents Pertaining To The Alleged Iraq-Niger Uranium Transaction And That The Source Of The Information Was The [Redacted] Intelligence Service.? (Senate Select Committee On Intelligence, ?Report On The U.S. Intelligence Community?s Prewar Assessments On Iraq,? 7/7/04)

However, ?The DO [Director Of Operations At The CIA] Reports Officer Told Committee Staff That He Did Not Provide The Former Ambassador With Any Information About The Source Or Details ?? (Senate Select Committee On Intelligence, ?Report On The U.S. Intelligence Community?s Prewar Assessments On Iraq,? 7/7/04)
10.) Wilson Claimed He Is A Non-Partisan ?Centrist?:
Recently, Joe Wilson Refused To Admit He Is A Registered Democrat. NBC?s Jamie Gangel: ?You are a Democrat?? Joe Wilson: ?I exercise my rights as a citizen of this country to participate in the selection of my leaders and I am proud to do so. I did so in the election in 2000 by contributing not just to Al Gore's campaign, but also to the Bush-Cheney campaign.? (NBC?s ?Today Show,? 7/14/05)

?[Wilson] Insist[s] He Remained A Centrist At Heart.? (Scott Shane, ?Private Spy And Public Spouse Live At Center Of Leak Case,? The New York Times, 7/5/05)

Joe Wilson Is A Registered Democrat. (District Of Columbia Voter Registrations, Accessed 7/14/05)

Joseph Wilson Has Donated Over $8,000 To Democrats Including $2,000 To John Kerry For President In 2003, $1,000 To Hillary Clinton?s (D-NY) HILLPAC In 2002 And $3,000 To Al Gore In 1999. (The Center For Responsive Politics Website, www.opensecrets.org, Accessed 7/12/05)

Wilson Endorsed John Kerry For President In October 2003 And Advised The Kerry Campaign. (David Tirrell-Wysocki, ?Former Ambassador Wilson Endorses Kerry In Presidential Race,? The Associated Press, 10/23/03)

?[Wilson] Admits ?It Will Be A Cold Day In Hell Before I Vote For A Republican, Even For Dog Catcher.?? (Scott Shane, ?Private Spy And Public Spouse Live At Center Of Leak Case,? The New York Times, 7/5/05)

http://www.gop.com/News/Read.aspx?ID=5630

So wilson claims the White House knew about his report before and ignored his "facts"???

bush still said his famous 16 words.

is that why Wilson claims the Office of the Vice President knew of his trip and sent him?

He thinks he was selected from the white house and the CIA to answer that question and he did so, but was purposely ignored at the White House so they could sex up the SOTU address.

is that what this comes down too?

--------------------
America's debt problem is a "sign of leadership failure"

We have "reckless fiscal policies"

America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership.

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

Edited by lonestar2004 (11/03/05 12:06 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineDivided_Sky
Ten ThousandThings

Loc: The Shining Void
Re: Joe Wilson's Top Ten Worst Inaccuracies And Misstatements [Re: lonestar2004]
    #4888566 - 11/03/05 12:32 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

Sounds like his problem is delusions of grandeur, like he must have been so important that the Vice President himself sent him to Iraq, and he must have been that important that the White House must have read it. Clearly he was never as important as he thought. And then there are the lies, or perhaps exaggerations which go along nicely with his inflated self image.

Offlinelonestar2004
 User Gallery

Re: Joe Wilson's Top Ten Worst Inaccuracies And Misstatements [Re: Divided_Sky]
    #4888644 - 11/03/05 12:50 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

i read his Op-Ed in The New York Times

"What I didn't find in Africa.. Polar bears, Penguins, Hockey players "

it did not seem all that bad for the white house. maybe cheeny should have sent him to Africa.

--------------------

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Loc: Ripple's Heart
Re: Joe Wilson's Top Ten Worst Inaccuracies And Misstatements [Re: lonestar2004]
    #4888835 - 11/03/05 01:31 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

have any of the statements made by cheney and tenet
been made under oath or are all we have in the way
of refutation of Wilson's points are press statements?

--------------------
All I know is The Growery is a place where losers who get banned here go.

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
Re: Joe Wilson's Top Ten Worst Inaccuracies And Misstatements [Re: afoaf]
    #4888849 - 11/03/05 01:35 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

There is also the SSCI (Senate Select Commission on Intelligence) Report released early July of last year.

Phred

--------------------

Offlinelonestar2004
 User Gallery

Re: Joe Wilson's Top Ten Worst Inaccuracies And Misstatements [Re: Phred]
    #4889340 - 11/03/05 03:23 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

WOW! thanks Fred.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/intell/library/congress/2004_rpt/iraq-wmd-intell_chapter2-b.htm

i found some interesting stuff.

from the SSCI congress

"interviews and documents provided to the Committee indicate that his wife, a CPD employee, suggested his name for the trip. The CPD reports officer told Committee staff that the former ambassador's wife "offered up his name" and a memorandum to the Deputy Chief of the CPD on February 12, 2002, from the former ambassador's wife says, "my husband has good relations with both the PM [prime minister] and the former Minister of Mines (not to mention lots of French contacts), both of whom could possibly shed light on this sort of activity." This was just one day before CPD sent a cable DELETED requesting concurrence with CPD's idea to send the former ambassador to Niger and requesting any additional information from the foreign government service on their uranium reports. The former ambassador's wife told Committee staff that when CPD decided it would like to send the former ambassador to Niger, she approached her husband on behalf of the CIA and told him "there's this crazy report" on a purported deal for Niger to sell uranium to Iraq.

SO HE FUCKING LIED!

cheeny did not send him. his wife sent him.

Scooter is free!!!! how will a jury find (be permitted to find) on accusations of lying to counter the lies of a proven liar?

--------------------

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

OfflineDivided_Sky
Ten ThousandThings

Loc: The Shining Void
    #4890327 - 11/03/05 06:51 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

It is kind of funny he is indicted for allegedly lying to cover up something that wasn't even a crime. Sometimes it's just best to tell the truth, though we don't know that he didn't.

--------------------
1. "After an hour I wasn't feeling anything so I decided to take another..."
2. "We were feeling pretty good so we decided to smoke a few bowls..."
3. "I had to be real quiet because my parents were asleep upstairs..."

Offlinelonestar2004
 User Gallery

Re: Joe Wilson's Top Ten Worst Inaccuracies And Misstatements [Re: Divided_Sky]
    #4890411 - 11/03/05 07:06 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

i think this is going to blow up in the Dem's face.

white house has interest in WMD/Africa.

the CIA sends an agents husband over to Africa to look for WMD.

No confidentiality agreement for a CIA assignment???

when he returned he was not required to write a report???

no he starts lying to reporters and the white gets no info from him or the CIA.

looks like a CIA coup to me. the fucking CIA needs to be investigated.

--------------------

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder