Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   OlympusMyco.com Mushroom Grow Bags   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMycoCat
a.k.a. ShroomCat

Stevia Leaf
    #4874932 - 10/31/05 11:45 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

I've been reading more and more about this, and I was wondering if this a proven way to increase potency or is it another theory (along the lines of adding tryptophan to substrate). The only reason I ask is because as many times I read that this works, I read something else that says it doesn't. Thanks for the help.

--------------------
No question is so difficult to answer as that to which the answer is obvious.

Meow.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Stevia Leaf [Re: MycoCat]
    #4875028 - 10/31/05 12:11 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

I have added stevia (whole ground plants)to bulk substrates (h/poo, normal compost & high N composts) & the few bio-assays that I am aware of appeared to show there was a increase in potency, over normal. Nothing scientific, just opinions of those who did the bio-assay's & they said they felt a 10 to 30% increase.

The caveat being - It could also have something to do with the addition of a small percent of oil type seeds (thistle, mustard, and/or rape seed), as well as addition of a small percentage of dry ground kelp or seaweed into the same substrates?

But, watch out - the addition of to much stevia can/will cause fermentation - in the spawn run stage - if you do not have a firm grasp of controlling substrate temperatures.

There is a fine line - that to much of a good thing - can become a bad thing.

--------------------

OfflineMycoCat
a.k.a. ShroomCat

Re: Stevia Leaf [Re: agar]
    #4875251 - 10/31/05 01:11 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

So has there ever been a controlled experiment with the use of stevia leaf (as opposed to the whole plant)?

--------------------

Meow.

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #4875329 - 10/31/05 01:37 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

None that I know of. That would take a lab, funding & a lot of time. I think I was the first one to use it, starting a few months back. So, it is not an old thing & hasn't been kicked around - much.

--------------------

OfflineMycoCat
a.k.a. ShroomCat

#4875380 - 10/31/05 01:54 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Thanks for the info.

It just intrigues me that with all the great minds at this hobby there still isn't a Miracle-Gro for mushrooms (but I can always dream).

--------------------

Meow.

Invisiblebackupwards
peon

Loc: somewhere else
    #4875594 - 10/31/05 03:00 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

dream or invent....

:peace:

Anonymous

Post deleted by Anno [Re: backupwards]
    #4875674 - 10/31/05 03:23 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Stevia Leaf [Re: ]
    #4876094 - 10/31/05 05:05 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

I would suggest you throw some in a bowl, add a little water, then nuke them until the water boils & repeat once more. Then use that water (plus however much more water you might need)& the leaves to hydrate the h/poo with.

Or, add them to the h/poo BEFORE you pasturize it.

Adding to much sweetness - can result in fermentation.

--------------------

OfflineRamlaen
Pysconaut
 User Gallery

#4876482 - 10/31/05 06:39 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

I also just picked some up to give them a try in my next experiment

OfflineBlue Helix
bold hand
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Stevia Leaf [Re: Ramlaen]
    #4876879 - 10/31/05 08:06 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

I've used Stevia tea leaves from DragonWater, but I am a spawn bag kind of guy so never worried about fermentation. I am not sure if the Stevia leaf did anything or not, but my pan cyans knocked my socks off with 10 fresh grams (about a level 4 or 5 trip I would say from what I can remember of it).

With spawn bags you can make the substrate as rich as you want, all the way up until you burn the mycelium with nitrogen. It's all up to you and you never have to worry about fermentation because they're sterile inside. Personally I think spawning manure for bulk is WAY overrated. Unless you are shooting for over about 10 square feet of surface area and growing on the order of hundred of pounds of mushrooms, why even bother with spawning out manure? If you just want a few pounds dry or even less and you want to grow them fast, use liquid culture to directly inoculate the fruit out substrate held in spawn bags. Of course, you need the bags and an impulse sealer, which will run you about $50 total. But if you are serious about growing mushrooms in bulk, especially edibles which almost must be grown in bulk to be worth it, what's $50 compared to wasting time and fermentation troubles with spawning?

Edited by Blue Helix (10/31/05 08:08 PM)

OfflineMycoCat
a.k.a. ShroomCat

Re: Stevia Leaf [Re: Blue Helix]
    #4877017 - 10/31/05 08:34 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Are you talking about fruiting directly from the bags?

--------------------

Meow.

OfflineBlue Helix
bold hand
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #4877220 - 10/31/05 09:06 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

No. Fruiting directly from the bag is restrictive because your "tray" (as in the bag) limits the fruiting substrate to super deep, which is a less efficient way to fruit. I am talking about loading the bags with the final fruit out substrate rather than just grain spawn, colonizing in the bag, opening the bag, crumbling up the content in a tray, casing the tray, and fruiting out the substrate.

OfflineMycoCat
a.k.a. ShroomCat

#4878975 - 11/01/05 09:59 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Ok, that's what I thought but I got confused (didn't really get the phrase "fruit out substrate" at first).

Is there a typical substrate be for this type of grow, or is it just whatever substrate you prefer normally for bulk?

--------------------

Meow.

OfflineBlue Helix
bold hand
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #4879038 - 11/01/05 10:18 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

No, I don't use the same substrates I used to use for pasteurized bulk. Bulk pasteurized grows are limited in their richness by the spawn percentage used but this type of run is not limited in that way. I take advantage of that freedom. I use a mix of WBS, vermiculite for water balance and retention, rye grass seed for pan cyans, compost, and always a touch of black mustard seed for oils and improved yield. I'll usually add the WBS dry so as to save time. In the cooker WBS will absorb some of the substrate's water which is never caused me any problem. By doing bulk in bags, you really open yourself up to substrate experimentation. Of course you can always super spawn a pasteurized run to achieve the same richness in substrate, but then you're sort of doing what I am talking about anyway, right?

Edited by Blue Helix (11/01/05 10:19 AM)

OfflineRejak
Cultivator

Loc: Canada
    #4879085 - 11/01/05 10:31 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

I've never tried Stevia as a substrate additive, but it sounds interesting and makes perfect sense!
I wonder how well the extract would work in a LC?  I'll have to see :laugh:

For any one interested, Stevia is very easy to grow yourself.
Seeds are redily available and have an excellent germination rate.
It has many uses as a sweetener, chewing a leaf is interesting, and a couple leaves dropped into a hot tea or coffee sweetens it right up :smile:

I'm definately going to have to try this one :smile:
Hmmm... Sweet Shrooms!

--------------------
Need Spores?
Only 2 choices worth your time!
Here or FSRC

Don't forget to donate to the FSRC

OfflineMycoCat
a.k.a. ShroomCat

Re: Stevia Leaf [Re: Rejak]
    #4879391 - 11/01/05 11:51 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

I'm interested in trying this technique, but my typical substrate has always straight straw/dung, which doesn't sound like it would work best for this scenario.

If any of you have had success with a particular substrate for this type of grow, could you post your typical mixture (perhaps with measurements, as I'm not quite sure what a "touch" of black mustard seed is, though I'm sure I could guess)? Thanks for the help.

--------------------

Meow.

Offlinenycomyco
Stranger

Loc: PA
    #4886558 - 11/03/05 12:09 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

I don't think that adding more stevia would cause contams. The sweetness from stevia is not a sugar. I think it actually has no "calories" (of course vegetable matter can be quite caloric for mushrooms, but that's the point of substrate).

OfflineBlue Helix
bold hand
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Stevia Leaf [Re: nycomyco]
    #4896017 - 11/05/05 12:01 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

This substrate:

6.5 parts compost (via dry weight)
2 parts WBS (via dry weight)
2 parts rye grass seed (via dry weight)
3% Stevia leaf (percentage via volume)
0.2% black mustard (percentage via volume)

Gave me these Ausi Pan Cyan trays:

These were the strongest mushrooms I have ever taken. I would estimate they were 4 to 5 times as strong as cubes fresh. I don't know what they'll be like dried, but as I lost my mind on them and am scared to trip for a bit, I figure they'll be strong.

Edited by Blue Helix (11/05/05 12:01 AM)

OfflineAsianYumYum
Stranger

Loc: Columbus, Ohio, USA
    #4916189 - 11/10/05 12:26 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

is that the pic or are those things supposed to be albino like that? I have never experimented with Ausi Pan Cyans before so pardon my ignorence. Nice grow btw!!!

--------------------
Hail to the King Baby

OfflineBlue Helix
bold hand
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Stevia Leaf [Re: AsianYumYum]
    #4919069 - 11/10/05 05:41 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

The Ausi Pan Cyans are a totally different species than the more common cubensis. The mushrooms are much smaller, whiter, and much stronger. This batch is about 4 to 5 times as strong, for me personally, by weight than cubensis. Last night I got a good 2.5-gram cubensis trip off 0.4 grams of these. I tripped pretty damn hard considering the dosage. The trip is also more speedy for me and less enjoyable so far, but it probably just takes more getting used to the differences to fully enjoy the experience.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   OlympusMyco.com Mushroom Grow Bags   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate