Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Injection Grain Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMcdoopy
Fungus Face
 User Gallery

Loc: Varrok Center
Little Cotton Balls
    #4848325 - 10/24/05 11:31 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Hello, I am Mcdoopy and I am a shroom newb. This is my first post to this wonderful forum. I would like to thank all for making this message board the great place that it is. I have been lurking in the shadows reading as much as I can for months and have finally moved on to the real thing. I think all is going well thus far, but being the anal prick that I am, I just want to be sure. So I would appreciate help from all of you wise people out there.

I'm using the PF TEK (maximum fruiting formula), following it to a 'T'. Verm + BRF in Ball 1/2 pint jars. Work in a totally clean environment (well as clean as I can get it). Sterilized the jars for 45min in a PC. Trying B+ from Ralphster. They are in the dark, temp is about 80 I would guess? It's been 16 days and everything looks good, except one small thing that worries me. The myc is nice and rhizo throughout, all my cakes about 80-95% done.

However, since the myc first appeared so has a small amount of white fuzz. Ok let's assume it's not myc. It's the same color as the myc, has not grown NEARLY as much as the myc, and is in pretty much all of the jars. My best description of it would be like mini cotton balls on parts of the cake and not as ball like in other parts. The 'fuzzy stuff' is on about 10-15% of the cakes, less on some. I am also wondering if maybe my cakes are pinning since I like to check them out under light everyday? I do that for literally like 1 minute a day though. Anyone have a clear idea of what I am talking about? Does it sound like cobweb to you guys? If so, when I birth them should I dunk with the peroxide mix? If you need me to elaborate let me know. I tried to take pics of it but had a lot of trouble showing what I was talking about. I did include a pic of my babies all huddled together for you though.

NOTE: My moisture seemed a bit high so after reading around the message board here, I decided to take the tape off and put foil on the tops instead. I did that at about 11 days. There still seems to be a decent amount of H20 droplets in the jars as I write this. I wonder if this is part of my problem?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Little Cotton Balls [Re: Mcdoopy]
    #4848644 - 10/25/05 01:02 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Those look ok to me. Cottony mycelium is very common. Cobweb has a distinct grey tint to it. If everything is snow white, you're ok. A bit of light doesn't hurt anything. In fact, lots of people now leave pf jars exposed to light from day one. A bit of condensation is also normal-It's warmer inside the jars than outside.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineMcdoopy
Fungus Face
 User Gallery

Re: Little Cotton Balls [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #4848711 - 10/25/05 01:19 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

I just double checked and no grey to be seen, so that's good news.  A bit of yellow here and there but I assume that is the piss?

Some of the jars have so much condensation it's collecting a little bit on the bottom.  Not so much that there is a pool, but it moves around when I tilt the jar.  Will this be a foreseeable problem?  I appreciate the response Roger.

:smile:

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Little Cotton Balls [Re: Mcdoopy]
    #4849400 - 10/25/05 07:18 AM (18 years, 5 months ago)

I doubt it will be a problem. Since you have a vermiculite barrier, you can remove the foil. That will help with the condensation a bit.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineMcdoopy
Fungus Face
 User Gallery

Re: Little Cotton Balls [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #4850327 - 10/25/05 01:23 PM (18 years, 5 months ago)

Great, thanks again!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Injection Grain Bag