Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Boomr Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisibleidiotek
 User Gallery

horse poo question
    #4845768 - 10/24/05 01:24 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

hello.

just a quick poo question that i couldn't find the solution for in the archives:

if fresh-ish poo were leached and stored to dry over a few weeks at relatively cool/cold temps (relative to temp outdoors, and it's gettin' cold) would this be detrimental to the viability of the poo? frost should be setting in soon and i'm not sure if occasional partial freezing would be an issue or not..

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
Re: horse poo question [Re: idiotek]
    #4845787 - 10/24/05 01:28 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

It's rather hard to get h/poo - BONE DRY - in freezing weather, if it is moist. My source of h/poo is from piles that dry all summer - freeze in the winter (snow covered)& dry more - the next spring.

--------------------

Invisibleidiotek
 User Gallery

Re: horse poo question [Re: agar]
    #4845820 - 10/24/05 01:37 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

yeah but achieving total dryness isn't my goal.

i'm a beginner to poo but according to what i've read in the archives it doesn't matter if the poo is totally dry as long as the ammonia content is leached from it. if this is true, then i don't THINK it should cause a problem to store it at cold temps until i can pasteurize it in a week or two.. i'm just going to be soaking it again to pasteurize it.

i just want to be sure that the cold temps won't hurt the poo aside from the moisture issue..

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
    #4845857 - 10/24/05 01:46 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

The object of getting it BONE DRY......is......drum roll........>

So that all microbial activity HALTS & the microbes DIE.

If you get it fairly fresh & moist, leach it, and it remains moist. It is probable the microbial content will remain active. To many of the wrong live microbes in the mix, increases odds that it will begin to  :eek:ferment :mad2:, when spawn is added.

--------------------

Invisibleidiotek
 User Gallery

Re: horse poo question [Re: agar]
    #4845908 - 10/24/05 02:00 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

precisely why i asked.

thanks chief.

Invisiblejarroddupont
I shroom we Allshroom

Loc: midwest of ...
    #4845917 - 10/24/05 02:03 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

Hmm. I think I've got a fermented batch of poo I've been waiting to colonize, don't understand how. Microwaved 6 minutes in spawn bag?

--------------------
P. Cubensis Growth Parameters
"All mushrooms are edible, but some only once."
-- Croatian Proverb

OfflineWronguy
Trusted Cultivator
    #4846289 - 10/24/05 03:42 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

idiotek said:
hello.

just a quick poo question that i couldn't find the solution for in the archives:

if fresh-ish poo were leached and stored to dry over a few weeks at relatively cool/cold temps (relative to temp outdoors, and it's gettin' cold) would this be detrimental to the viability of the poo? frost should be setting in soon and i'm not sure if occasional partial freezing would be an issue or not..

I still don't see your questioned answered here. Yes, horse manure sitting outside, preferably in a bin, will retain it's viability. I store my horse manure outside in a large plastic bin all year round. I have used my manure at all times of the year, cold or otherwise, without problems.

I have tried storing my manure inside, however my opening the container to collect brought on a bad case of cobweb mold. I brought the manure back outside, left the lid cracked for a few days, and nature took care of the rest. It goes to show how resilient horse manure can be.

Invisibleidiotek
 User Gallery

Re: horse poo question [Re: Wronguy]
    #4849881 - 10/25/05 11:19 AM (18 years, 4 months ago)

bingo... thanks for addressing my concerns.

i figure that regardless if the poo stays damp or soaked(or partially frozen thanks to nature's frost), as long as it's outside and leached of ammonia, it should be ready to pasteurize whenever my little heart desires.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Boomr Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates